WWW, Lynn Merritt and Phil Knight with UK.. Wetzel | The Boneyard

WWW, Lynn Merritt and Phil Knight with UK.. Wetzel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Amazing how there is such an obvious recruiting advantage that is given to no one else. How is there no violation? JayZ is an agent and spends time in the locker room, Knight and WWW represent pwerful professional interests. How can there possibly not be violations?

Warning - offensive comment regarding this article - Wetzel still is wiping the cum off his face from blowing Cal.

Reaction Score
Its pretty impressive that Wetzel is able to rationalize both his distaste for Calhoun's lack of oversight involving additional text messages and Nochimson and his admiration of Calipari's relationships with big time power brokers like Phil Knight, WWW and the head of NIKE basketball.

How does this make sense?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Didn't Jay Z catch some heat last year for being in the UK locker room, considering he is sort of an NBA owner? I guess this time he stayed just outside of it. Maybe Phil Knight will buy Cal for Oregon.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Didn't Jay Z catch some heat last year for being in the UK locker room, considering he is sort of an NBA owner? I guess this time he stayed just outside of it. Maybe Phil Knight will buy Cal for Oregon.
Yeah and harralson practicing with kanter. Don't forget Bledsoes grades

Reaction Score
As much as I don't like these influences involved with the college game, since it's so apparent that it can't be adequately monitored or controlled, maybe it's time to just throw in the towel and let these college coaches and college athletes make their bed where ever and with whomever they wish.

Think about it this way. Are there rules for students that happen to get hired by some big time company either as a intern or employee of whatever capacity that impact their academic scholarships?

I realize that such thinking would put some programs on a leg up over others, but this way there'd be more of them, than just those who seem to slide under the rules like UK or others who are are blatantly breaking the rules but are simply not caught. Taking this approach would likely divide a lot more programs in the haves and have-nots.

Just take a look at the Olympics. They finally threw up their hands and threw in the towel for many of their sports and allow professionals to compete for what was supposed to be amateur competition. Maybe it's about time that they just kick the bulk of the rules that deal with amateurism to the curb and then focus on those who are defrauding the government by take money under the table. As for the whole APR thing, I don't think anyone can come up with a way to best measure which college athletes are just athletes and which are student athletes.

I do wonder how much these individuals influence who goes where. Probably a lot more than we realize. Though now that Cal and UK have won that NC with a team full of wunderkind, that the Squid might not need these talent brokers to get the top kids to come year-in, year-out. It's hard to blame the best of the best for wanting to play together for a year or two, knowing they can hone their skills, win a load of games, have a great shot at winning the NC and getting drafted high, even though they need to share the spotlight with their fellow elite teammates.

As a fan, I like getting to know our players for at least 2 years, preferably 3 to 4. I wish the NBA would adopt that 2 years out of HS rule for that reason. But I have to admit, that now that Cal has been able to win an NC with a team led by freshmen and sophomores, and with more and more elite recruits holding out till after the tournament waiting to see who leaves and who returns on these elite programs, it's hard not to feel a tad envious. In the past, a team that loses a bunch of underclassmen often are not able to fill all their holes with ready-to-contribute freshman. Cal seems to be the first to do so and looks to be in position to reload in similar fashion for another run at the NC. We'll have to wait and see how things play out with the remaining 2012 class and to some degree what talent UK lands in the 2013 class as well.

Reaction Score
Isn't WWW officially an agent these days? Davis just runs up to him and hugs him and the NCAA doesn't raise an eyebrow?

Reaction Score
Its pretty impressive that Wetzel is able to rationalize both his distaste for Calhoun's lack of oversight involving additional text messages and Nochimson and his admiration of Calipari's relationships with big time power brokers like Phil Knight, WWW and the head of NIKE basketball.

How does this make sense?

Its unreal. All the article's last year were negative about us winning. Calapari wins and everyone talks about how great he is. Anyone with a brain knows whats going on with this team. WWW and Phil Knight hugging should be the front cover of every newspaper.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
prime example of picking and choosing who to look into and who not to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads