OT: - WSU with a nice come back today! | The Boneyard

OT: WSU with a nice come back today!

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch the WSU comeback vs Cal?

They turned an 18 point deficit into a 10 point victory in the span of 16 minutes. That is quite impressive vs any P5 team.

Part of me sometimes wonders if WSU is just using the AAC as a temp home and spring board to bigger and better things in the future, like an eventual Big 12 invite. Kind of like Lville did when they jumped to the Big East for a few years before getting to the ACC. I kind of think they knew what they were doing before even leaving the Conf. USA.

Any way, I digress, for as long as WSU is actually a part of AAC, I think they will improve the value of the conference and make other teams better by default, as they try to compete with WSU. Well, Cincy is already there, Uconn has been there in the past and just needs to catch up again. We can hope Temple and Memphis eventually get somewhere close to that level, or a step below at least because they have the history to prove they can.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The refs almost put the game for them out of reach between 9:00 and 6:30 in the 2nd half
3 times what should have been charging fouls against Cal went against WSU/ Coach Marshal was going nuts and Jay Bilas was shaking his head over the calls.
WSU really presses and are long and go 1,000 MPH on D
BUT they couldn't hit the broad side of the barn from outside
That being said - they are a legit top 10 team and only will be better when two top players recover from injuries.

As far as Big12 - Do they even play football at WSU - without that - forget it - the BE is only option

Reaction Score
True, as a pure bball fan, I always forget about fball.

If this is the result of WSU playing poorly and if I recall, sans 1 or 2 top players, I sure as heck do not want to see them when they have really hit their stride and have everyone back. Yikes. Just have to hope they stay hot until they play Uconn and that is their next bad game. Teams like this only play poorly 2 or 3 times a year and this was one of them.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Their center Shaquille Morris was unstoppable down the stretch. He's a load down low... 6' 8'', 280+, and will be 24 years old come March. Will be interested to see how we play him.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah, the B-12 wants a third school in the lucrative state of Kansas.

Kansas and K-State would raise holy hell at the prospect of the 'Shockers joining the B12. They'd have to start a football program before that could ever happen. They did explore the possibility but decided against it. I don't know why. The Koch brothers would probably write them a check to build a 90k capacity football palace.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If they could score with consistency from the outside - this team is capable of being a National Champion
Lots of long athletes that don't stop fighting on defense - this is the type of team that would drive the 1 and done squads like Puke and Kensucky up a wall and turnover machines

Reaction Score
Part of me sometimes wonders if WSU is just using the AAC as a temp home and spring board to bigger and better things in the future, like an eventual Big 12 invite. Kind of like Lville did when they jumped to the Big East for a few years before getting to the ACC. I kind of think they knew what they were doing before even leaving the Conf. USA.
I think a lot of schools in the american believe this.

Reaction Score
Not true if it was then UConn would be P5 based on their basketball program (s) alone. When this was all happening we were still UConn and one of tremendous value to the P5 as a hoops school but they want football. The Shockers aren't going anywhere and if Marshall leaves they will be cooked anyway so why tale a chance on that? I mean the Shockers have nice consistent program for a few years now but have won zero, UConn was a national power so if it were to be true we'd be much happier already.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The only place WSU could go that would be in upgrade in their situation would be the Big East. I’m not sure if there’s any mutual or individual attraction there.

Reaction Score
I was wondering why someone would post a Washington State thread until I realized WSU was Wichita State.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised for how poorly they played the majority of this game that they didn't take a significant hit on KenPom (still #4 overall). Cal now sits at 121 and they only beat them by 10 after being down the whole game.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Louisville was basically already in the ACC when the AAC was formed but they had to work out buyouts and other stuff so they weren't able to jump ship in time and spent a year in the American. That's a much different case than Wichita State.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I'm surprised for how poorly they played the majority of this game that they didn't take a significant hit on KenPom (still #4 overall). Cal now sits at 121 and they only beat them by 10 after being down the whole game.
I watched the game. The way they played in the 1st half I was wondering where the #6 came from. Actually I seriously thought we had a chance to beat them and was wondering what all the hype was. Well, then came the 2nd half. Enough said.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not true if it was then UConn would be P5 based on their basketball program (s) alone. When this was all happening we were still UConn and one of tremendous value to the P5 as a hoops school but they want football. The Shockers aren't going anywhere and if Marshall leaves they will be cooked anyway so why tale a chance on that? I mean the Shockers have nice consistent program for a few years now but have won zero, UConn was a national power so if it were to be true we'd be much happier already.

Don't agree that they are cooked without Marshall, but the rest is true. Why would anyone think that a team that has been good at basketball for several years, and yet finally got the call to upgrade to the AAC, is now somehow destined for more? They were lucky to get into this league. They have zero chance of doing better. Even the Big East wouldn't be better for them, as they have a local rival in Tulsa and close games against SMU and Memphis. It's pretty ideal for them.

Reaction Score
Only saw a brief highlight but WSU has a big who looks like he was chiseled from stone.

Reaction Score
WSU leading Marquette by 9 with a few minutes to go. Looks like they should get to the Maui championship.

Reaction Score
WSU leading Marquette by 9 with a few minutes to go. Looks like they should get to the Maui championship.

What's really impressive is that Wichita State doesn't even have their leading scorer and rebounder (McDuffie) in the line up yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom