217 Butler
229 PC
235 DePaul
315 SHall
330 Xavr
<400 StJohn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do these rankings work? Aren't different programs in the university different? An English major or a biochem major at UConn have completely different experiences. Is it based on teaching or what professors are publishing? Plus SO MANY undergrad classes are taught by TAs at big state schools and they are often pretty terrible at their jobs. Plenty at UConn are.

My only real experience is with my fiance who has her phd from UConn and is doing a fellowship at Yale now. They have rankings for all the schools in her field but it seems most people don't care about them. Going here was much more about one specific prof who agreed to advise her at UConn from what I gather.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
How do these rankings work? Aren't different programs in the university different? An English major or a biochem major at UConn have completely different experiences. Is it based on teaching or what professors are publishing? Plus SO MANY undergrad classes are taught by TAs at big state schools and they are often pretty terrible at their jobs. Plenty at UConn are.

My only real experience is with my fiance who has her phd from UConn and is doing a fellowship at Yale now. They have rankings for all the schools in her field but it seems most people don't care about them. Going here was much more about one specific prof who agreed to advise her at UConn from what I gather.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Shocked by how low some of these schools are. I always knew UConn was rising up the ranks, but geez. Who would go to some of these schools for 4 years at the cost? And I will say that if you live in CT, UConn is a deal for what you get.

Reaction Score
Shocked by how low some of these schools are. I always knew UConn was rising up the ranks, but geez. Who would go to some of these schools for 4 years at the cost? And I will say that if you live in CT, UConn is a deal for what you get.

There’s a lot of colleges out there. These numbers make you feel like Xavier is the worst school in the country, but that wouldn’t even be close to accurate.

Reaction Score
All I know is that a UConn degree holds weight with employers. My wife just graduated with a Comm major specializing in Social Media Marketing. And her loans are small in comparison to most other schools.

Reaction Score
The Northeast has quite a few high value schools in terms of ROI. Babson, Bryant and Bentley always do well when earnings are factored in.

I’d imagine that the major state universities do well too, UConn and UMass in particular.

Reaction Score
I was pretty up to date with college rankings/admissions a while ago when I was still thinking I had a shot a top school. Lots of the top colleges are small D3 schools (Amherst college, Williams, Bowden), or not athletic D1 schools (Colgate, Ivys, Rice). In terms of top D1 programs, the ACC and PAC12 are probably the best academically (UNC, Duke, Virginia, Stanford, Cal, UCLA). The list of big East schools actually aren’t that prestigious academically speaking, so it’s not at all surprising these rankings. Honestly, they’re probably the worst batch of schools academically if you compare against the AAC + power 5 conferences.

That being said, after going through college, I 100% believe that a state university like UConn or Ohio State beats the small D3 liberal arts colleges any day. Most people will come out of school with higher paying jobs, more school recognition on the market, and tons less debt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The list of big East schools actually aren’t that prestigious academically speaking, so it’s not at all surprising these rankings.
Don't forget, those schools down the list are higher ranked...by Him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom