Wrong stats | The Boneyard

Wrong stats

Reaction Score
In last nights game v St Louis Christyn Williams had a block with about 8:20 remaining in the 2nd quarter. On Uconns website they list her as having 0 blocks.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I swear in one of the Virgin Island games, Collier had three blocks, but was listed as having none. Of course, what we see on a 2D TV screen is not always what really happens.

Reaction Score
As I recall she got the ball from behind. ONO was in front and likely got credit for the block.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I often feel like official stat sheets are incorrect. Maybe they are working with a different definition of turn over, blocked shot, field goal attempt, etc. than I am.

Reaction Score
I often feel like official stat sheets are incorrect. Maybe they are working with a different definition of turn over, blocked shot, field goal attempt, etc. than I am.

Perhaps, but the statisticians' manual gives a good definition and many examples for each stat. If nothing else, everything has to balance at the end. For example, every missed shot - even the first shot on a two-shot foul - must have a rebound. Total misses and total rebounds will always be identical.

I think the stat that is most often wrong is blocked shots. I can tell you as a former D1 statistician that it is very easy to miss a block that is only slightly tipped by the defender. Also in a flurry of shots and offensive rebounds, it is possible to forget to record one.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think assists are a bit open to interpretation.

Reaction Score
I count rebounds in games and I know that the totals are sometimes wrong by one or two. It happens often enough that I wonder why with television available for replays they don't make a better effort to get it right.

In the end of course statistics are the least important part of the process (except for wins and losses obviously) but if compiling the numbers is the goal then listing the correct total of shots, assists, blocks, steals and reboumds should be done more carefully.

So they missed Pheesa's 12th rebound on Tuesday night that's no big deal. It didn't affect the outcome of the game and it's not going to dim her chances for post season accolades. Besides we all know that our players can't be judged by statistics alone. Our stars don't play enough minutes to come close to leading the country in anything but wins.

Still..........

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but the statisticians' manual gives a good definition and many examples for each stat. If nothing else, everything has to balance at the end. For example, every missed shot - even the first shot on a two-shot foul - must have a rebound. Total misses and total rebounds will always be identical.

I think the stat that is most often wrong is blocked shots. I can tell you as a former D1 statistician that it is very easy to miss a block that is only slightly tipped by the defender. Also in a flurry of shots and offensive rebounds, it is possible to forget to record one.
I am sitting here puzzled by the need to have a rebound on the first shot of a two shot foul. Why? There was a free throw shot by Liv (I think in the ND game) that hit nothing and bounced over the end line. The ref picked up the ball. . . Who gets credit for that rebound? (And btw, she hit the second one.)

The logic here baffles me.

Reaction Score
They definitely make mistakes. In the Purdue game, Lou made an assist, but they credited it to Mikayla Coombs - and she hadn't even been in the game yet. I've seen it happen on a few occasions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remember the game in Italy when Tiffany shot something like 10 for 8. She was really good that night. ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stats are always a sticky wicket - assists are the most open to interpretation and seem to be the most inconsistent, and internationally they count an assist to include when it leads to a shooting foul even if the basket is not made.

Turnovers and steals are next most open to interpretation - who gets the turnover when a bad pass is touched by the intended recipient but not controlled and the lost out of bounds or to the opponent; and who gets the steal when one player deflects but another player actually controls it.

And rebounds can be difficult to determine - KLS deflected a O-board to Naphesa for an easy lay-up - did she get credit for a rebound and assist, or because it was a contested rebound and she never really controlled the ball did Naphesa get credit for the rebound? I believe KLS intentionally directed the rebound but ...

Also on rebounds not totaling properly - there usually some team rebounds (ball when out of bounds with no control off the opponent) so totaling the player rebounds is usually a few reounds less than the team total.

Reaction Score
I feel like Steals are commonly given to the wrong player. If a player hits the ball out of a defenders hand, but another teammate gets the ball, who is credited the steal? The one who flicked it or the one who ended up with it? I watched a game recently where a bench player knocked away at least four balls away into her teammates hands. I was excited for the player and checked the box score, but seen they were credited one.

I play NBA 2K regularly :DHead bang and it credits me with the steal if I tip it and someone catches it. Not a very good example I know, but what gives? I swear sometimes the box scores counts those situations as steals and other times it doesn't

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
internationally they count an assist to include when it leads to a shooting foul even if the basket is not made

That makes sense to me, if the pass led directly to points it should be an assist.

Reaction Score
I swear in one of the Virgin Island games, Collier had three blocks, but was listed as having none. Of course, what we see on a 2D TV screen is not always what really happens.

Have you tried these? :D

1544173819152.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom