WR Zavier Scott Makes Move to Running Back | The Boneyard

WR Zavier Scott Makes Move to Running Back

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hopefully his move gives us enough depth. I feel pretty comfortable with Mensah and Hopkins as long as they can stay healthy. Put Scott in at #3, and hopefully we can keep Gillespie off the field and get him a RS year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If anything happens to any of these backs this spring I wouldnt mind seeing Lavarey Banton get the call. We only have 77 scholarship kids projected to be on the roster this fall, 79 if Keating and Donaldson are upgraded from PWO. Don't hear much about transfers right now.

Several staff members are already following and the guy is just down the street in Hartford.

I think he could be molded into a nice power back. He doesn't shy from contact. Good balance.

11. (@Lavarey_Banton) | Twitter

Reaction Score
Hopefully his move gives us enough depth. I feel pretty comfortable with Mensah and Hopkins as long as they can stay healthy. Put Scott in at #3, and hopefully we can keep Gillespie off the field and get him a RS year.

Pay attention to #49 O'Reilly. Nobody is going to outwork him.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Don't forget about Dante Black.. our depth is getting better it seems

Oh wow, yeah, forgot about him. I could see him getting a bit of action this year...who knows. We know for sure we've got two solid backs in Hopkins and Mensah, if we can get one more to step up out of Black/Gillespie/Scott, then we're pretty much set

Reaction Score
I think Dante Black has a better chance of seeing the field as a true frosh then Gillespie.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just one injury and one academic issue and we become very thin at RB. We have eight unused scholarships going into fall, makes sense to me to add another RB now even if they seem buried on the depth chart at this time.

Reaction Score
Unless a quality grad transfer RB lands in his lap, I doubt HCRE uses one of those schollies on a RB before the fall. I think he’s comfortable with what he has and what’s coming in. IMO, he’s still rebuilding the roster and isn’t going to waste any for next year unless it’s a DL. Honestly, I think Edsall is looking at 2019 as the year it all comes together.

• Kevin Mensah will get the message. We know he can get north-south. He needs to improve as a pass catcher and blocker. He’s also been a little injury prone. He has to become a smarter runner. He can’t always try to bull people over (or go airborne).
  • Zavier Scott looks comfortable making the transition and adds size and speed to the position, his ability to catch the football is a plus.
  • Nate Hopkins will be what he has been, the goal line/short yardage back.
  • Donevin O’Reilly has obviously impressed the staff with his work ethic and is similar in size to Mensah. He’s a bigger, more talented, version of Jason Thompson. He’s serviceable.
  • Dante Black brings the whole package, size, speed, burst, pass catching ability, and played high-level competition. He’ll play next year.
  • Khyon Gillespie adds speed and pass-catching ability. But at 6’1, 177 he probably needs a year to get bigger. He also didn’t play against a high level of competition in high school. He’ll need time to adjust to the speed of the game. His work ethic may help him see the field sooner.
I’m comfortable with the depth at RB next season. Think about the offensive talent this team will have in 2019 at QB, RB, and WR. If the OL continues to improve, that side of the ball may be deeper then it’s ever been.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Unless a quality grad transfer RB lands in his lap, I doubt HCRE uses one of those schollies on a RB before the fall. I think he’s comfortable with what he has and what’s coming in. IMO, he’s still rebuilding the roster and isn’t going to waste any for next year unless it’s a DL. Honestly, I think Edsall is looking at 2019 as the year it all comes together.

• Kevin Mensah will get the message. We know he can get north-south. He needs to improve as a pass catcher and blocker. He’s also been a little injury prone. He has to become a smarter runner. He can’t always try to bull people over (or go airborne).
  • Zavier Scott looks comfortable making the transition and adds size and speed to the position, his ability to catch the football is a plus.
  • Nate Hopkins will be what he has been, the goal line/short yardage back.
  • Donevin O’Reilly has obviously impressed the staff with his work ethic and is similar in size to Mensah. He’s a bigger, more talented, version of Jason Thompson. He’s serviceable.
  • Dante Black brings the whole package, size, speed, burst, pass catching ability, and played high-level competition. He’ll play next year.
  • Khyon Gillespie adds speed and pass-catching ability. But at 6’1, 177 he probably needs a year to get bigger. He also didn’t play against a high level of competition in high school. He’ll need time to adjust to the speed of the game. His work ethic may help him see the field sooner.
I’m comfortable with the depth at RB next season. Think about the offensive talent this team will have in 2019 at QB, RB, and WR. If the OL continues to improve, that side of the ball may be deeper then it’s ever been.

But I worry about the perfect storm, lose one of these guys to academics next fall and another to injury. I'd like another serious WO. And I would use a scholarship on a kid if we suffer any injuries to this position before spring football ends.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: UConn Football: Zavier Scott, By Way Of Germany, Lands In Huskies Backfield

>>While Scott still must make some improvements – primarily in his blocking – he has displayed all the abilities to be a complete, three-down back for the Huskies.

“When you watch him, he’s pretty natural,” Edsall said. “He has some just God-given talent in the ability to see things, his vision and his ability to slide. All those things you don’t teach.”<<

Reaction Score
The SID’s PR machine is pushing ZS big time right now. Clip package, multiple news stories. I think he is doing even better than expected and he may end up being more than a parttime situational player in the fall. That would be nice.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The coaching staff likes Scott a lot and says he has picked up the position quickly and looks and plays the part so far. Has good moves, with slide steps and of course catches the ball out of the backfield well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom