Wow - this board is filled with whiners | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wow - this board is filled with whiners

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I have no problems with the recruiting or the level of talent, most of us didn't just 2 weeks ago

What I see as a catastrophic problem is rebounding, we just don't do it anymore and that has to change

The second biggest problem we have is that everyone we play shoots more free throws than us, can't imagine how that happens (although rebounding and free throw attempts do tend to have a parallel relationship), I think there's more to it than that

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have no problems with the recruiting or the level of talent, most of us didn't just 2 weeks ago

What I see as a catastrophic problem is rebounding, we just don't do it anymore and that has to change

The second biggest problem we have is that everyone we play shoots more free throws than us, can't imagine how that happens (although rebounding and free throw attempts do tend to have a parallel relationship), I think there's more to it than that
I thought you were done?

Reaction Score
Guess you haven't been around too long.

For a UConn loss, I would say this is about a 4 in the 1-10 scale of whiny posters showing their wares.
It's sad that it's THAT high. An unranked team loses to the #6 team in the nation and folks here sound as if Maryland should have walked onto the court, bowed down and offered the win to the Huskies because the "experts" here seem to think that UConn deserves a win every time. Gotta play to win. UConn got out-played massively in the first half and couldn't recover. The game is 40 minutes, especially against talented squads.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think the complaint isn't about current recruiting (i.e. about future players).

The complaint is about past recruiting and how it's left us in dire straits with the present roster.

Here are the non-5th-year recruits we brought in between 2012 and 2014 (i.e. guys who would be sophomores through seniors this year):

Calhoun
Nolan
Tolksdorf
Samuel
Facey
Brimah
Purvis
Cassell
Lubin
Hamilton

You can group recruits into 3 categories:
1) Starting-caliber: 2 (Purvis and Hamilton)
2) Bench-caliber: 2-3 (Facey, Brimah, and arguably Samuel)
3) Doesn't belong at this level: 5-6 (everyone else; though Calhoun was expected to be in category #1)

That is a horrible distribution over 3 years. In our past, I would expect a breakdown like 40%/40%/20%; instead, we're around 20%/25%/55%.

Dire straits? We bring a five star freshman and two four star upperclassmen off the bench. Talent is not an issue with this team.

Reaction Score
We have to wait literally one year from Boat to 5-stars Soph Jalen/Frosh Gilbert and we are complainjng about recruiting. Are you f-cking kidding me.
Scratch this, we don't even have to wait. Adams is already contributing more and already looking more comfortable running things than Gibbs is.

Reaction Score
That hole was filled this offseason with Gibbs. Unfortunately, it hasnt panned out as hoped. Which happens.

Recruiting took a hit because of the sanctions and a huge coaching change: less ships and less time on the road lead to a dearth of talent in the pipeline, which they are only beginning to replace now. Next year's class is a monster.
The recruiting year when we signed Facey and Samuel was a bad one. After that Ollie has done very well without the benefit of an attractive conference.

Reaction Score
It takes time to climb out of the type of hole that UCONN was in with the post season ban, coaching change, and conference realignment. Some schools may not be able to recover from such a perfect storm. But here is UCONN rising from the damn ashes after we were left for dead. It appears that some on this board forgot how dire our situation was and where we COULD be conversely. Look at the recruits we got and the ones that are coming. Then look at the ones we had to take BECAUSE NO ONE WANTED TO COME HERE! Nothing short of a duck* miracle. And then have the audacity to question KO'S ability...WHAT! Might be feeling a little too much entitlement. Go to North Carolina or Syracuse where transgressions are dealt with silver spoon repercussions. UCONN is a blue collar, hard working, unpriviledged, and to its credit resilient as duck*. This team will fight. It won't be pretty and it damn sure won't be according to our expertise. Swallow some Ginko and remember where we were and give these kids a damn break.

Reaction Score
I understand the need to vent, but the degree of whining here is just pathetic. Fire KO?!?! - you know nothing about basketball. Maryland is a stacked team with the one thing that UConn doesn't have - a seasoned point guard. After enjoying a fantastic run with Kemba, Bazz and Boat running the show the Huskies are struggling with mediocre point guards. I guess this is how it must have felt to get pwnd by UConn the last decade. Or when unrealistic expectations are crushed.
thank you for the comments.. so right and dead on! We are very lucky to have KO and his staff.. they provide great leadership and a tireless work ethic..and lets not forget they are huskies not just our coaches!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
There was no one left to take over when Boat, as a senior, left. That is a recruitment failure.

What do you call Jalen Adams? Ollie knew the guards he brought in wouldn't work (Samuel, Cassell) so he brought in a mentor for the successor to the tradition (Gibbs for Adams) Plus Alterique is coming. Lack of recruiting for a PG??

Reaction Score
What do you call Jalen Adams? Ollie knew the guards he brought in wouldn't work (Samuel, Cassell) so he brought in a mentor for the successor to the tradition (Gibbs for Adams) Plus Alterique is coming. Lack of recruiting for a PG??
Jalen is great and will hopefully restart the tradition. Who is our Junior point guard? The name escapes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom