Wow so here we are with | The Boneyard

Wow so here we are with

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow so here we are with a few days and a week and we play SC and Oregon and we're getting to where we wanna be. Its gonna come down to defense, intesity, confidence and guess what? I have been posting we need a 5th scorer. Now we have electric scorers....5th 6th and 7th and still developing. Anna is a shooting machine. Griff brings intensity Explosvieness and shes like the energizer bunny all over the place. and Liv is showing us signs of a great post player. They all have a long way to go but guess what???? Right now with SC and Oregon coming up we are in a good place. That place is we are getting better and havent reached our peek. We are still trending towards it.

Look where we were at the beginning of the season and then in the 4th qtr of the Baylor game and the beginning of the Tenn game and look at us now? I see alot of smiles on the court, on the bench and in the stands. You know what we are at a place right now, where we have 1 loss and we couldve won that game where we are today and alot of fans think Baylor is number 1 in the country. Gotta tell ya UConn may not be number 1 but they are trending towards it. We are lookin really good. Not perfect, not invincible but really good and improving . Not many teams can say that. We've got Cinn and then Oregon who will be a big test Win or lose we will get better and then a week later @SC and again win or lose and we will get better. We are only scratching the surface and by tournament time look out.

Remember all those posts about Tenn has height. We beat them. All that height cant handle the ball. Cant pass or dribble. We beat'em and had a bad shooting nite. Guys this UConn team is fun to watch and is getting better. I have no idea what Geno did but this team has turned around and isnt where theyre gonna be in March. Hold on to your seats because this roller coaster ride is just beginning

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Liv is still a work in progress. She will be the remainder of the season. She knows she's not where she wants/needs to be yet. The coaches are working with her daily to that end. I anticipate (predict) the ONO we want to see will make her debut sometime AFTER the Christmas break next season, when conference play begins. Liv will will continue to grow and develop between now and then.

She'll be older, stronger and more mature (game experience) then. I measure her development by her success/failure against the elite post players on elite teams, not shorter less talented post players on mid-major teams that she should easily dominate.

Hopefully she will learn (and soon) to abandon the "fly swat" technique, and transition to a more traditional manner of blocking shots that yields less personal fouls in its application. Fear not, she's in good hands. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn is doing great. The emergence of Anna and Aubrey adds so much. I've maintained all season that a National Championship is not out of the question. Anyway, it has been fun.

Reaction Score
Wow so here we are with a few days and a week and we play SC and Oregon and we're getting to where we wanna be. Its gonna come down to defense, intesity, confidence and guess what? I have been posting we need a 5th scorer. Now we have electric scorers....5th 6th and 7th and still developing. Anna is a shooting machine. Griff brings intensity Explosvieness and shes like the energizer bunny all over the place. and Liv is showing us signs of a great post player. They all have a long way to go but guess what???? Right now with SC and Oregon coming up we are in a good place. That place is we are getting better and havent reached our peek. We are still trending towards it.

Look where we were at the beginning of the season and then in the 4th qtr of the Baylor game and the beginning of the Tenn game and look at us now? I see alot of smiles on the court, on the bench and in the stands. You know what we are at a place right now, where we have 1 loss and we couldve won that game where we are today and alot of fans think Baylor is number 1 in the country. Gotta tell ya UConn may not be number 1 but they are trending towards it. We are lookin really good. Not perfect, not invincible but really good and improving . Not many teams can say that. We've got Cinn and then Oregon who will be a big test Win or lose we will get better and then a week later @SC and again win or lose and we will get better. We are only scratching the surface and by tournament time look out.

Remember all those posts about Tenn has height. We beat them. All that height cant handle the ball. Cant pass or dribble. We beat'em and had a bad shooting nite. Guys this UConn team is fun to watch and is getting better. I have no idea what Geno did but this team has turned around and isnt where theyre gonna be in March. Hold on to your seats because this roller coaster ride is just beginning

Yeah but Tony, you know how few detractors managed to spin this win around, "Tenn is not that good of a team, they played cupcake schedule, are ONLY #23 in poll due in part of the color of their unis", they won't be satisfied until UConn beats a top 5...or maybe be somewhat content if it's a top 10 team. ;)

Reaction Score
What Tony said. Any problems? In so far as Liv is concerned, she is a work in progress. She has athletic skills, leaping capability, and grace. Watch her run down the court: it is like a deer running across a field. If someone could teach her a skyhook, she would be unstoppable. Geno is pushing her and that is exactly what she needs in order to become more aggressive and attack oriented. I like her. I think that she will be an outstanding player.

In facing the competition like SC and Oregon, the key ingredients will be: find your rhythm; shoot well; and don't stop playing.

Reaction Score
What Tony said. Any problems? In so far as Liv is concerned, she is a work in progress. She has athletic skills, leaping capability, and grace. Watch her run down the court: it is like a deer running across a field. If someone could teach her a skyhook, she would be unstoppable. Geno is pushing her and that is exactly what she needs in order to become more aggressive and attack oriented. I like her. I think that she will be an outstanding player.

In facing the competition like SC and Oregon, the key ingredients will be: find your rhythm; shoot well; and don't stop playing.
I would be happy with a baby hook, Stewie and DT had the best and also there is no blocking that shot without fouling.

Reaction Score
Yeah but Tony, you know how few detractors managed to spin this win around, "Tenn is not that good of a team, they played cupcake schedule, are ONLY #23 in poll due in part of the color of their unis", they won't be satisfied until UConn beats a top 5...or maybe be somewhat content if it's a top 10 team. ;)
All depends on your benchmark for success. If you love the excitement of the past few games, you should have a big smile. If its a National Championship, beating a Top 5 team is exactly what you want to see.

Reaction Score
Liv is still a work in progress. She will be the remainder of the season. She knows she's not where she wants/needs to be yet. The coaches are working with her daily to that end. I anticipate (predict) the ONO we want to see will make her debut sometime AFTER the Christmas break next season, when conference play begins. Liv will will continue to grow and develop between now and then.

She'll be older, stronger and more mature (game experience) then. I measure her development by her success/failure against the elite post players on elite teams, not shorter less talented post players on mid-major teams that she should easily dominate.

Hopefully she will learn (and soon) to abandon the "fly swat" technique, and transition to a more traditional manner of blocking shots that yields less personal fouls in its application. Fear not, she's in good hands. :cool:
We have to hope you are right. I, too, challenge the statement that "Liv is showing signs of becoming a great post player." She is showing signs of learning to play the position. And it is coming " in fits and starts."

Reaction Score
I'd like to do a Frankenstein and inject some of Ana's aggression into ONO but you are what you are.

Reaction Score
RE ONO: Wish i could see the fire in the belly that some of you see. IF it is not there, what are the chance of developing it? Am asking that seriously for input from other Yarders. I don't have the answer to that question.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
RE ONO: Wish i could see the fire in the belly that some of you see. IF it is not there, what are the chance of developing it? Am asking that seriously for input from other Yarders. I don't have the answer to that question.

We have had a number of less emotional players that have done very well. Pheesa clearly comes to mind. Unlike Pheesa, I agree she may not be playing every play as hard as she should or can. However, I imagine watching Aubrey go full tilt and possibly relinquishing minutes to her in the long run might be the added motivation she needs. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
We have had a number of less emotional players that have done very well. Pheesa clearly comes to mind. Unlike Pheesa, I agree she may not be playing every play as hard as she should or can. However, I imagine watching Aubrey go full tilt and possibly relinquishing minutes to her in the long run might be the added motivation she needs. Just a thought.
Geno should pull up the clip against Rutgers where Moriah has the ball stolen at halfcourt, and Stewie comes from the baseline to swat the ball away. Use that as motivation, never give up on a play.

Reaction Score
A lot of comments on Ono adding bulk, a sky hook, etc. I have looked at her on the replays of games as if scouting, which I have done, and I think there are more basic, fundamental things she needs to do, IMO the main one not directly basketball related. I share this as an OBSERVATION FROM AFAR, I am well aware of the amazing track record of this staff in developing players.
While she is certainly athletic, she greatly needs to improve her footwork. She has what I would call relatively “slow feet”. Akin to that she plays very much straight up and down and rarely do you see her knees bent, ready to move quickly as play dictates. There is a saying in sports which applies to low post positioning, “low man wins“ and rarely is she low. A very real part of being quick and explosive is being ready, not wasting that split second to lower to bend your knees and then move. It is absolutely one of Griffins great, now muscle memory, habits; when play is on she is very rarely up and down but always ready to “strike” if you will. And the majority of low post positioning should be done with the lower body, your legs and lower torso from behind on defense, your legs and butt on offense. Her up and down style means she gets very little use out of her legs. One way to work on that is an extensive regimen of jump rope which makes you bend and spring and obviously strengthens.

Reaction Score
A lot of comments on Ono adding bulk, a sky hook, etc. I have looked at her on the replays of games as if scouting, which I have done, and I think there are more basic, fundamental things she needs to do, IMO the main one not directly basketball related. I share this as an OBSERVATION FROM AFAR, I am well aware of the amazing track record of this staff in developing players.
While she is certainly athletic, she greatly needs to improve her footwork. She has what I would call relatively “slow feet”. Akin to that she plays very much straight up and down and rarely do you see her knees bent, ready to move quickly as play dictates. There is a saying in sports which applies to low post positioning, “low man wins“ and rarely is she low. A very real part of being quick and explosive is being ready, not wasting that split second to lower to bend your knees and then move. It is absolutely one of Griffins great, now muscle memory, habits; when play is on she is very rarely up and down but always ready to “strike” if you will. And the majority of low post positioning should be done with the lower body, your legs and lower torso from behind on defense, your legs and butt on offense. Her up and down style means she gets very little use out of her legs. One way to work on that is an extensive regimen of jump rope which makes you bend and spring and obviously strengthens.
Liv has all the skills and athletic ability, IMO, to be a consensus AA. It goes without saying that she is a rebounder par excellence and an elite shot blocker. Moreover, she has recently taken [and hit] a few foul-line jumpers; this is a BIG step forward in her play from the high post from where [also] she is tall, excellent passer.
Down in the low post is another story. Liv rarely gets a good entry pass esp from CW or MW who [both] probably didn't pass very much in high school.
From what I have seen recently, Anna and Griff make the best entry passes to the low post because, for one thing, they are both tall, a disadvantage for CD.
If Liv can get a clean pass down in the low post, she can and will score a bunch of points. With her agility, hops and very high release she can shoot unobstructed over anybody, even Lauren Cox! haha
One thing that Liv should definitely add to her arsenal is a 'step-through' move a la Napheesa Collier, like Griff did the other night after a rebound, and then a step-through and finish with her left hand, eh?
Yes .. with a little polish, Liv is a sure-fire AA!

Reaction Score
Liv has all the skills and athletic ability, IMO, to be a consensus AA. It goes without saying that she is a rebounder par excellence and an elite shot blocker. Moreover, she has recently taken [and hit] a few foul-line jumpers; this is a BIG step forward in her play from the high post from where [also] she is tall, excellent passer.
Down in the low post is another story. Liv rarely gets a good entry pass esp from CW or MW who [both] probably didn't pass very much in high school.
From what I have seen recently, Anna and Griff make the best entry passes to the low post because, for one thing, they are both tall, a disadvantage for CD.
If Liv can get a clean pass down in the low post, she can and will score a bunch of points. With her agility, hops and very high release she can shoot unobstructed over anybody, even Lauren Cox! haha
One thing that Liv should definitely add to her arsenal is a 'step-through' move a la Napheesa Collier, like Griff did the other night after a rebound, and then a step-through and finish with her left hand, eh?
Yes .. with a little polish, Liv is a sure-fire AA!
I certainly agree. But she has a long ways to go. I rarely see her use her left hand...even when it appears she is using her left hand, she is actually using her right hand. At least, too often. And she has to be equally effective with both, to be an A.

Reaction Score
Someone referred to her as Butler plus. That’s closer to reality at this point in time.
Would Kiah Stokes minus be more accurate at this point in time?

Reaction Score
You can bet every team scheduled to play UCONN this season is looking toward that game with great trepidation. I wouldn't want to play us.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In the long ago, when I was at UConn, there was a guy on the men’s team named Dan Hesford. His nickname was Spider. At about 6’2, he was a great defensive player because he seemed like he had 8 arms/legs and it looked like he could move in 5 directions at the same time. His knees were always bent and flexible. Not a super shooter, he had his moments, but a good enough rebounder. Bottom line, he had great balance and responded with ease, because he rarely had to gather himself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom