WOW! Cure Bowl is empty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just turned the cure bowl on and it is empty, like maybe 5,000 people

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm afraid to say anything until I see our bowl game.

DSC05260-thumb-300x268-107646.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Reported attendance over 18k.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If we get a total of 5K or so for this game, that would be a strong showing. 11am the day after Christmas is close-to-impossible for people to travel to the game. 5K "holds serve" for our fanbase perception and keeps us in line for a strong showing (hopefully!) for a better 2016 bowl.

Reaction Score
If we get a total of 5K or so for this game, that would be a strong showing. 11am the day after Christmas is close-to-impossible for people to travel to the game. 5K "holds serve" for our fanbase perception and keeps us in line for a strong showing (hopefully!) for a better 2016 bowl.
If we're at 1,700 now, not a chance in hell 5K are there, at least through UConn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If we're at 1,700 now, not a chance in hell 5K are there, at least through UConn.
I think he's saying total UConn fans in attendance. Our fans have a pretty good history of NOT buying through the school.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think he's saying total UConn fans in attendance. Our fans have a pretty good history of NOT buying through the school.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. 5K total - through school and secondary markets. Honestly, I think 1700 through the school is pretty good all things considered.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. 5K total - through school and secondary markets. Honestly, I think 1700 through the school is pretty good all things considered.
ah ok. i havent paid attention to ticket options since there's no way i can go, but are tickets available through secondary markets that much cheaper than face a la Fiesta? it would seem the majority of people wouldn't be going because of the opponent/time and date/flight cost as opposed to saving $30-40 on tickets.

Dooley

Reaction Score
ah ok. i havent paid attention to ticket options since there's no way i can go, but are tickets available through secondary markets that much cheaper than face a la Fiesta? it would seem the majority of people wouldn't be going because of the opponent/time and date/flight cost as opposed to saving $30-40 on tickets.

Honestly, I don't know either. I can't go either so I haven't looked. According to the Courant article this morning, it looked like the floor prices were about the same ($40). I'm going to guess that scalpers will struggle to get more than $10 that morning. I think UConn fans remember the Fiesta and there will be a few fans who price it out on their own.

Reaction Score
Bought through the school. Paid $66. Checked later at Stub hub. Same price.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
Bought through the school. Paid $66. Checked later at Stub hub. Same price.

Makes sense. Someone has to have purchased them to have a fire sale. Which is what happened in AZ. Here any discounts would have to come from the schools or bowl operator.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. Someone has to have purchased them to have a fire sale. Which is what happened in AZ. Here any discounts would have to come from the schools or bowl operator.

Yup...

https://www.livingsocial.com/events...o-uconn-vs-marshall-in-the-st-petersburg-bowl

what you get
  • One Ticket
  • 100-Level Endzone Seat or 300-Level Seat
  • UConn Takes on Marshall in a Post-Season College Football Classic
  • Use Promo Code "STPETE" to Access Discounted Price
On Saturday, December 26, 2015, don't miss a moment of the action when the American Athletic Conference goes head-to-head against Conference USA at the annual St. Petersburg Bowl. This year's game will be between the Connecticut Huskies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Held at the Tropicana Field at 11 a.m., this post-season college football spectacular is a must-see -- as nothing beats the fun and excitement of top-talent college football. To see it all live this year, snap up this deal for a ticket.

Choose from the following offers:
• $29 ($40 value) for one 300-level ticket
• $39 ($60 value) for one 100-level endzone ticket

Fine print: "ST PETERSBURG BOWL IS THE ISSUER OF ALL TICKETS, AND PURCHASE TICKETS VIA TICKETMASTER ONLY BY CLICKING TO BUY • TICKETMASTER ACCOUNT REQUIRED TO COMPLETE PURCHASE"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nothing like your bowl partner dumping tickets on the secondary market.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You'd do the same :)

I imagine it's pointless - I can't imagine they move more than a hundred tickets through something like living social.

It's interesting where the whole thing is going. People are wising up to the fact they are getting soaked for the benefit of the coaches and admins.

Tastes change over time and it seems to me we've moved into an era where students and recent graduates don't care about college football and basketball like we did in the past. As the older generation ages out of travelling and attending - it doesn't seem to me that there are people behind them to fill those seats.

I spent my college years and my 20's watching 4 hours of CBB every night - there weren't options like today. The quality of play has fallen off (not that the players today aren't more talented - the games are just worse) and the competition is getting better.

15 years ago I would have spent a Saturday night tracking a half dozen games - last night I watched The Leftovers. Endless timeouts and free throw shooting exhibitions are a tough sell against smartphones and unlimited television options.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess my best example is the Rent. The season ticket base has dwindled... and the 20k left seem like a subset of the 30k we had 8-10 years ago.

UConn has been graduating thousands of students a year for a dozen years since the building opened and none of them seem to keep coming after they leave school.

They couldn't even find volunteers to give money away to on this very message board - understanding the complications of Christmas - the school is more diverse than ever and there are folks who don't celebrate it.

Reaction Score
It just doesn't make sense to buy away tickets through UConn. Great tickets can always be bought on the secondary market, while the school issues horrible tickets. Until AAC games are weekly sellouts it won't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom