OT: - Wow! Charli Collier disappeared against Baylor | The Boneyard

OT: Wow! Charli Collier disappeared against Baylor

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She picked up two fouls in the first 2:17 of the game which probably caused her to ride the pine for most of the first half and no doubt messed with her head, but yeah ... no show.

Reaction Score
She picked up two fouls in the first 2:17 of the game which probably caused her to ride the pine for most of the first half and no doubt messed with her head, but yeah ... no show.

If this situation unfortunately occurred with ONO during March Madness ... would ONO be labeled as a "no show" ... or would the Refs take the fall? Asking for a friend.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Ono ended up with 3 points, 1 rebound, 3 TO and 4 fouls in 16 minutes, yeah, I think 'no show' would get some playing time on this board. I am sure the refs would get some serious play time as well. Didn't see the game so I have no idea about the 4 foul calls, but I doubt all were bogus and everyone deals with the same issues of bad calls.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
hat.jpg

Not sure this warranted it's own separate thread on this side of the forum, but what do I know... I'm just a visitor.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If this situation unfortunately occurred with ONO during March Madness ... would ONO be labeled as a "no show" ... or would the Refs take the fall? Asking for a friend.
Yes, and ONO has been labelled that. However her team is also achieving or exceeding their expectations AND national media is not touting her as "THE" #1 pick and a 1st team All-American, of which, Charlie Collier is not a 1st AA.

Reaction Score
I think there are some quality players flying under the radar that may or may not be stronger than Charli Collier at this point. With how much she’s flourished under Vic Schaefer, I’d have to think the best route for her long term would be to stay another year for the coaching and growth. However, she won’t go as high next year unless she kept up the same momentum she’s gained this year.
??‍♀️

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And that is the reason that if you are projected to be first round pick this year, you should take it as next years draft is projected to be much stronger.
Fully agree. There’s a lot of times on the men’s side that people talk about how a player would benefit from another year in college, and they probably would, but at the end of the day if you have the opportunity to lock into a life-changing contract, you take it.

That’s different with the WNBA because the payscales are different, but I think the principal does apply generally.

Reaction Score
Yes, and ONO has been labelled that. However her team is also achieving or exceeding their expectations AND national media is not touting her as "THE" #1 pick and a 1st team All-American, of which, Charlie Collier is not a 1st AA.
It is not Charlie Collier's fault that the national media has touted her #1 pick in the up coming WNBA draft. Media employees are paid to create content in various forms. Including controversial topics or click bait. What the media writes or says should not be held against Charlie Collier.

Was it Kia Nurse's fault that she was not voted AA her senior season despite voted DPOY? Or was it the AA award voters fault? Bottom line is that 18-22+ year old student athletes should not be blamed for what national media writes/says and how awards are decided.

As far as UConn exceeding expectations, how many games this season was UConn the actual underdog on sports betting/analysis/media websites? What percentage of voting BYers picked UConn to win each game this season? Being the prohibitive favorite in almost all games is not exceeding expectations.

If not mistaken, Geno once said that (paraphrasing) freshmen are no longer freshmen when March Madness arrives. UConn is no longer exceeding expectations. #1 in polls. #1 or #2 overall seed most likely. UConn is one of the favorites to win the NC this season, despite being a young team. If Iowa won the NC, they would have exceeded expectations.

Reaction Score
Three of the Power five tournaments had non-competitive Final games. There is a Top 8 and then a huge drop off. If any of the top two seeds loses before the Elite eight, it will be a major upset, BUT any of those eight teams could win it all.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
It is not Charlie Collier's fault that the national media has touted her #1 pick in the up coming WNBA draft. Media employees are paid to create content in various forms. Including controversial topics or click bait. What the media writes or says should not be held against Charlie Collier.

Was it Kia Nurse's fault that she was not voted AA her senior season despite voted DPOY? Or was it the AA award voters fault? Bottom line is that 18-22+ year old student athletes should not be blamed for what national media writes/says and how awards are decided.

As far as UConn exceeding expectations, how many games this season was UConn the actual underdog on sports betting/analysis/media websites? What percentage of voting BYers picked UConn to win each game this season? Being the prohibitive favorite in almost all games is not exceeding expectations.

If not mistaken, Geno once said that (paraphrasing) freshmen are no longer freshmen when March Madness arrives. UConn is no longer exceeding expectations. #1 in polls. #1 or #2 overall seed most likely. UConn is one of the favorites to win the NC this season, despite being a young team. If Iowa won the NC, they would have exceeded expectations.
My point is IT IS Charlie Collier fault she regularly disappeared in big games, it is on Charlie’s shoulders the Texas finished no higher than 4th place in a middling conference of “supposed power 5 schools”, it is Charlie Colliers issue she is constantly in foul trouble and has to sit for
Long stretches of time. It is also her coaches fault for not putting the team in a better situation to win more games given the talent they have over WVU, Ok State and Iowa State. Plus the really pathetic OOC schedule of “cupcake U’s” that were played that help inflate CC’s stats when she was the tallest person on the floor by 5 inches didn’t help the narrative and hampered this teams development.
As far as UConn overachieving goes, no one would have predicted a #1 ranking and top 2 seed heading into the NCAAT this year given how young we are. So yes they overachieved.

Reaction Score
Three of the Power five tournaments had non-competitive Final games. There is a Top 8 and then a huge drop off. If any of the top two seeds loses before the Elite eight, it will be a major upset, BUT any of those eight teams could win it all.
Agree. Which is why I wrote "if Iowa won the NC, they would have exceeded expectations." At this stage in the season, any of the top 8 teams winning the NC would not exceed expectations.

Expectations are vastly different at the start of the WCBB season compared to the start of March Madness. Expectations from the media and fans - not from 18 to 22+ year old student athletes.

Reaction Score
My point is IT IS Charlie Collier fault she regularly disappeared in big games, it is on Charlie’s shoulders the Texas finished no higher than 4th place in a middling conference of “supposed power 5 schools”, it is Charlie Colliers issue she is constantly in foul trouble and has to sit for
Long stretches of time. It is also her coaches fault for not putting the team in a better situation to win more games given the talent they have over WVU, Ok State and Iowa State. Plus the really pathetic OOC schedule of “cupcake U’s” that were played that help inflate CC’s stats when she was the tallest person on the floor by 5 inches didn’t help the narrative and hampered this teams development.
As far as UConn overachieving goes, no one would have predicted a #1 ranking and top 2 seed heading into the NCAAT this year given how young we are. So yes they overachieved.
But yet you brought up the media touting Collier. So here we are.

At this point, UConn would no longer exceed expectations if they won the NC. They are #1 in the poll and might be #1 or #2 overall seed in the tournament.

If you think winning the NC as a #1 ranked team is exceeding expectations, then contact the tournament committee and request UConn be placed outside the top 8 seeds.

Reaction Score
Thread isn't about
Ono now is it!

Reaction Score

Again thread isn't about Nurse but you brought her up. She did have
3 AAs playing with her!

Reaction Score
The Baylor game was reasonably close until they blew it open in the 4th quarter. I'm much more nervous about Connecticut facing Baylor than facing any of the other top contenders. I can visualize a tough win against Baylor in the Elite 8 possibly being followed by a relatively easy time in the Final Four games.

Reaction Score
Expectations were established AT THE BEGINNING of the season. Congratulations I am ready to move on from your inane thought process. Collier, while maybe the best of a poor lot of WNBA draft hopefuls is not a 1st team or even 2nd team All-American.
That’s the whole point of the discussion.
You. Are. Not. Qualified. To. Think.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
You. Are. Not. Qualified. To. Think.
And you are a newbie on the board without any context of how to discuss items. Me thinks you will be short on posting on this site if your comments continue to be as such.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She’d be labeled!! You know it and I know it.

It’s here, the post season tournament that every team in division one wcbb has been working toward. Each game is unique unto itself. You focus solely on the next game taking nothing for granted. You cannot look ahead. You scout and prepare for THAT team.

ONO can’t do any “magic tricks“ from this point forward if UConn is going to win and advance. I looked at the box score of every game Collier has played at Texas out of curiosity, just to see what might have been.

That non-performance yesterday had to change the perception in the minds of some coaches and GM’s. When I looked at the box score and saw that she only had 3 points in their biggest game of the year, I thought the same thing. She didn’t show up. She disappeared. :confused:

ONO can’t disappear and UConn still wins. ONO, Christyn and Paige all have to show up and play BIG for them to win. If that trio can produce at least 55+ points, that may be enough with their teammates contributing the balance needed to win, assuming they play some semblance of defense.

UConn is not the same team with her on the bench. Olivia is doing better lately with keeping her hands to herself. You know she’s being told every day by coaches and teammates that she must stay on the floor and not give away cheap fouls.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Let me explain it to you. I believe we had 6 freshman , and a junior, new to the program. We exceeded expectations because no one projected us to be the number one seed in the tournament. Get it?

Reaction Score
Lets put this in to context. Does anyone believe that if the Covid restrictions were not in place that the Brackets would mirror what they are now? It had a major effect on many team. There would also be variable factors involved in respect to how it impacted various teams either negatively or positively. One thing that is certain, the cancelled games had an effect of discerning relative leagues strengths.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom