Would you trade schools with one of these fan bases? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would you trade schools with one of these fan bases?

Reaction Score
If the question was, would you rather be an in person student fan of the schools on the list, then yes, I'd pick KU. Because (a) Allen Field House is just a better game environment than Gampel and (b) Storrs doesn't have anything like this. I'm really glad I experienced both. I was in the lower student section in Gampel for our very first game there vs. St. Johns.

Yup. I loved my time in Gampel; but it really isn’t comparable culture-wise to what goes on in Lawrence. I’ll put it this way: it would be even more fun to be a UConn fan if our fanbase was more like KU’s

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If you add up titles, final fours, conference success, NBAers, and the type of talent we recruit. It’s hard for anyone to be more impressive than we have.

I have this argument with UNC fans all the time. Usually when they win a national title it’s because they couldn’t develop 5* McDonald All Americans to leave after 3-4 years and they still till their upperclassmen. We were always too good at that to keep the Charlie’s, Rudy’s, Caron’s etc around for that long. While being able to turn the Ben’s, Meka’s, Thabeet’s, you name it of their worlds into lottery picks. Love our program. 2011 and 2014 are probably the most impressive tourney runs out there too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hard NO.

I can't believe anyone is agreeing with the idea of it being cool to be from Kansas. What the heck am I reading here?

Reaction Score
Nada- not only have we had the most chips but a couple of them we came out of nowhere as huge sleepers & cut down the nets- magical runs- most of Duke’s & UNC’s they were expected to win….

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
No. CT born, raised, and UConn graduated. UConn basketball was probably the first sport team I followed legitimately. Nothing will or can change that and I would not trade it for anything. U-C-O-N-N UCONN! UCONN! UCONN!

Reaction Score
Hard to say.

I like what we have.

But If I had to trade with any, I'd trade , probably, with Syracuse. They have incredible tradition, a legendary, effective coach who shows no signs of slowing down, and all those ACC dollars that are more important than championships. It's hard not to be envious.
Absolutely NO! I wouldn't trade with anyone especially Syracuse.

From the perspective of a fan, I find it very easy to "not be envious" of Syracuse! It's not much fun anymore to read the posts on syracusefan.com because they now know they suck and most admit their fall from grace is now into Year #9. Their tradition is mostly from one long-term coach who has hung on way too long.

Some long-time Cuse fans are now claiming that while Boeheim is a member of the Hall of Fame, he hasn't been a HoF coach for years. Some fans closer to the program are saying he never was a HoF coach which I find an amazing (and possibly emotional) revelation. They say his success was due to his assistants' ability to recruit top talent, especially Mike Hopkins. When Hop left, recruiting took a dive. They say it was talent over coaching. I was shocked to read this.

The same fans that were puffing their ACC chests out are now the same ones lamenting the ACC fan experience. They have no true conference rivals (Pitt hasn't been competitive and BCU, well . . .), they're the northern outlier in a southern-based league, they accuse ACC refs in football and hoops of being biased toward long-time ACC members, they complain that they are treated like second-class citizens (like Maryland, S. Carolina and others have). Those same long-time ACC members complain that adding the BE schools diluted the strength of the conference. It's not that they really dislike the newcomers, but they are painfully indifferent to them. Many older ACC fans want to go back to eight schools like in the "good old days". That's a pipe dream.

The one thing most Cuse fans are still in denial about is that joining the ACC contributed to the demise of their athletic programs. It adversely affected recruiting. It affected fan interest. Going to the ACC was a move they had to make, but purely for financial reasons. The money is important. I get it. I really do. As a fan, I want to see my alma mater put a competitive product on the field/court. I want to win. What happens when you get the money, but your athletic programs aren't successful? What have you bought? More importantly, what have you sold? In my mind 4 will always be greater than one and 4>$.

OMG, I do go on. :oops: Sorry for the long rant, but you hit a nerve with me. Once again, this is from a fan perspective. A lot of what appears above came from Cuse posts and articles. I don't know how much of it is true (reality), but it's what many believe (perception).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

From the perspective of a fan, I find it very easy to "not be envious" of Syracuse! It's not much fun anymore to read the posts on syracusefan.com because they now know they suck and most admit their fall from grace is now into Year #9. Their tradition is mostly from one long-term coach who has hung on way too long.

Some long-time Cuse fans are now claiming that while Boeheim is a member of the Hall of Fame, he hasn't been a HoF coach for years. Some fans closer to the program are saying he never was a HoF coach which I find an amazing (and possibly emotional) revelation. They say his success was due to his assistants' ability to recruit top talent, especially Mike Hopkins. When Hop left, recruiting took a dive. They say it was talent over coaching. I was shocked to read this.

The same fans that were puffing their ACC chests out are now the same ones lamenting the ACC fan experience. They have no true conference rivals (Pitt hasn't been competitive and BCU, well . . .), they're the northern outlier in a southern-based league, they accuse ACC refs in football and hoops of being biased toward long-time ACC members, they complain that they are treated like second-class citizens (like Maryland, S. Carolina and others have). Those same long-time ACC members complain that adding the BE schools diluted the strength of the conference. It's not that they really dislike the newcomers, but they are painfully indifferent to them. Many older ACC fans want to go back to eight schools like in the "good old days". That's a pipe dream.

The one thing most Cuse fans are still in denial about is that joining the ACC contributed to the demise of their athletic programs. It adversely affected recruiting. It affected fan interest. Going to the ACC was a move they had to make, but purely for financial reasons. The money is important. I get it. I really do. As a fan, I want to see my alma mater put a competitive product on the field/court. I want to win. What happens when you get the money, but your athletic programs aren't successful? What have you bought? More importantly, what have you sold? In my mind 4 will always be greater than one and 4>$.

OMG, I do go on. :oops: Sorry for the long rant, but you hit a nerve with me. Once again, this is from a fan perspective. A lot of what appears above came from Cuse posts and articles. I don't know how much of it is true (reality), but it's what many believe (perception).
You realize he was being sarcastic right?

Reaction Score
You realize he was being sarcastic right?
I'm never sure about certain posters' intentions and sarcasm can be difficult to detect. My post was more about getting something off my chest.

I understand that if we get an ACC invite, we will almost certainly accept it for the money. My brother, another UConn grad, was adament about not joining the ACC. I thought he was crazy at the time, but now I get it. Like everyone else who jumped, they like the money, but not much else about the move. That was my only point.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hard to say.

I like what we have.

But If I had to trade with any, I'd trade , probably, with Syracuse. They have incredible tradition, a legendary, effective coach who shows no signs of slowing down, and all those ACC dollars that are more important than championships. It's hard not to be envious.
You left out the best part, the picturesque setting in a near paradise.

In most days you cannot tell if you are in upstate New York or a Siberian gulag.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

TIWIBY (this is why I Boneyard)

Excellent stuff there, Florida man.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Money aside. Look back 30 years. You keep the memories.

Do you trade with any of these fans for Men’s basketball?

Pitt
Syracuse
Miami
Rutgers
Louisville
Villanova
Georgetown
Gonzaga
Kansas
North Carolina
UCLA
Michigan State
Duke
Kentucky
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Money aside. Look back 30 years. You keep the memories.

Do you trade with any of these fans for Men’s basketball?
Was your question a slider or a curveball?

No way that I would ever trade away the last 30 years of memories. Or the 30 years of memories that preceded, even if those are more about school night trips to the field house with my dad at first, and a reliable anchor for conversation with a taciturn man after I went off to college and then into adulthood.

My loyalty is singular, but that doesn't keep me from wishing for fans of other schools to have their own cherished memories. I have no need to compare, but I also cannot imagine that theirs surpass mine.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If you add up titles, final fours, conference success, NBAers, and the type of talent we recruit. It’s hard for anyone to be more impressive than we have.

I have this argument with UNC fans all the time. Usually when they win a national title it’s because they couldn’t develop 5* McDonald All Americans to leave after 3-4 years and they still till their upperclassmen. We were always too good at that to keep the Charlie’s, Rudy’s, Caron’s etc around for that long. While being able to turn the Ben’s, Meka’s, Thabeet’s, you name it of their worlds into lottery picks. Love our program. 2011 and 2014 are probably the most impressive tourney runs out there too.
Except for the apostrophes, this us a great post!

Reaction Score
How did Georgetown make the list? Does anyone even follow them anymore? Georgetown is the answer to the question didn’t you used to be somebody?

Rutgers…LOL…yeah, sure.

Miami? They are the answer to the question, who are you again?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom