Would you rather have "respect" or wins?? | The Boneyard

Would you rather have "respect" or wins??

Reaction Score
All of this whining about not being ranked, being under-seeded, blah, blah, blah is becoming too much. All that matters is what happens on the court. Is it nauseating that Dook, UNC, Mich St, etc are perenially over-seeded? Of course. Does it make you want to throw up when they get all the "top" recruits and we are "stuck" with the bottom of the top 100? (Actually to me, it doesn't at all, because those rankings are almost always skewed by where the player chooses to go).

Doesn't it make all that more satisfying when Duke loses to Mercer in the first round? Or Belmont? With all those 'McDonald AA's"?

I get it that it might make people feel like we are "disrespected"? But who cares? We've ridden that disrespect to more championships than ANY school in the last 25 years and STILL don't get the "blue chip" recruits or the love of the national media. So what?? Just makes it all that more satisfying if you ask me when we own Kentucky, Duke, etc in the NCAAs (UNC we still owe you).

Just chill out and let the games be played. You don't earn respect by whining and crying about it. You earn it by winning. So let's just go do that and STFU about everything else like we've always done.

Reaction Score
Both. When you're not respected you can't recruit, when you can't recruit you don't win. Why this escapes some of you is baffling. UConn ascension into what it is now started after the move to the big east. Why? Because we garnered more attention because of who we were playing. Recognition, respect are major factors in elevating a program to where UConn belongs. Some of you want to be the cinderella school and that just isn't who we are.

Reaction Score
Both. When you're not respected you can't recruit, when you can't recruit you don't win. Why this escapes some of you is baffling. UConn ascension into what it is now started after the move to the big east. Why? Because we garnered more attention because of who we were playing. Recognition, respect are major factors in elevating a program to where UConn belongs. Some of you want to be the cinderella school and that just isn't who we are.
So you and everyone else can feel free to worry about what a bunch of clueless sportswriters think. Why that matters to you is baffling to me. But you probably worry more about what your friends think of your girlfriend than you do also. I'll worry about what I see on the court. Pretty sure that will take care of itself.

PS: I've never in my life thought of or wanted UConn to be a cinderella team. I just don't give a rat's ass about what irrelevant people think. If they can't see it for themselves, they eventually will. As has happened 4 times since 1999.

Reaction Score
So you and everyone else can feel free to worry about what a bunch of clueless sportswriters think. Why that matters to you is baffling to me. But you probably worry more about what your friends think of your girlfriend than you do also. I'll worry about what I see on the court. Pretty sure that will take care of itself.

PS: I've never in my life thought of or wanted UConn to be a cinderella team. I just don't give a rat's ass about what irrelevant people think. If they can't see it for themselves, they eventually will. As has happened 4 times since 1999.

Do you not understand that being ranked leads to a better seed in the tournament and more exposure on a regular basis? If kids see UConn highlights all the time, it's like free advertising to potential recruits? How some people don't grasp this baffles me.

Reaction Score

Dude, wth are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Respect or wins is a false choice. Literally no one is arguing that they want to GIVE UP wins or success on the court to be ranked.

The basic point folks are making is that being ranked is better than not being ranked all else being equal. For recruiting, perception, seeding, network TV decisions, etc.

This is not a particularly novel or controversial position. I’m amazed at the pushback on it.

If you enjoy being the underdog or think that not being ranked will motivate the team to play better, fine. But the more highly we are thought of, the better our seeding and the easier our path to the Final Four. I’ll take that any day.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
quote-winning-isn-t-everything-it-s-the-only-thing-vince-lombardi-114127.jpg

Reaction Score
Do you not understand that being ranked leads to a better seed in the tournament and more exposure on a regular basis? If kids see UConn highlights all the time, it's like free advertising to potential recruits? How some people don't grasp this baffles me.
Rankings mean NOTHING when it comes to seeding. The committee never has and never will look at rankings when it comes to seeding. That is a known fact.

Reaction Score
Rankings mean NOTHING when it comes to seeding. The committee never has and never will look at rankings when it comes to seeding. That is a known fact.
Being ranked is almost directly correlated to being a top 6 seed. The data shows this. Bout go on

Reaction Score
Dude, wth are you talking about?
What are YOU talking about?? I'm saying I don't care about rankings. They are based on what people that don't even watch this team say. They are irrelevant. If we win, we will get respect, get ranked, etc. The fact that we are not ranked doesn't mean SQUAT. We'll play whoever they put in front of us. Have to win 6 to win it all. Every one is tough. I don't get this obsession with rankings. They are completely subjective and don't mean ANYTHING.

Reaction Score
Being ranked is almost directly correlated to being a top 6 seed. The data shows this. Bout go on
The committee NEVER has and NEVER will look at rankings when they seed teams. It's a fact. But go on.

Reaction Score
Dude, @uconngb. None of us are on the team. We can't control if the team wins or loses.

As a fanbase, we can help push narrative. Which does matter. Sorry if you don't think so. But recruiting like all sales is rooted in perception. Of course, wins are the biggest part of this, but let us do our thing and don't fight the hype.

Reaction Score
The committee NEVER has and NEVER will look at rankings when they seed teams. It's a fact. But go on.
Dude youre lost. Forget what the committee looks at. What im telling you is being ranked in the top 25 almost directly reflects who the 1-6 seeds will be. Whether the committee uses it or not, its almost always an accurate reflection of who's who going into the tourney. You can argue on placement in the top 25, but theyre all second weekend potential tournament teams

Reaction Score
Nobody can actually be this dense. There is an extremely high correlation between being ranked and being a 6 seed or better. Whether the committee looks at rankings or not is irrelevant. If you win enough games to be ranked, you will almost certainly receive a better seed than unranked teams.

Let's revisit this on Selection Sunday.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom