Would you have the stones? | The Boneyard

Would you have the stones?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
to dress Jalen in street clothes, if you were the head coach?

There was no coming back if we were down 12 at the half. No bailout second half star. All new kids & Anderson as your pg.

Coming off last years start, would you have had the guts to not only bench him but without uniform?

Reaction Score
Even beyond the Jalen decision, I thought last night was a really impressive coaching performance by KO.

Called time outs when he needed to, took players in and out when they did something stupid and made in game adjustments.

Good feelings all around last night.

Reaction Score
I think this is a good lesson for Jalen in that he learns from this and comes out the other side a better man. A minor lesson that will help him in his personal Life as well as a quick 101 on how to be professional. Kevin Ollie being both coach and mentor. At the end of the day Jalen and every one of his teammates has more respect for the team as a whole, for each other, for the coach, and the Uconn program. KO handled this very well, setting an example, setting the tone.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think this is a good lesson for Jalen in that he learns from this and comes out the other side a better man. A minor lesson that will help him in his personal Life as well as a quick 101 on how to be professional. Kevin Ollie being both coach and mentor. At the end of the day Jalen and every one of his teammates has more respect for the team as a whole, for each other, for the coach, and the Uconn program. KO handled this very well, setting an example, setting the tone.
If he and other players learn from this it's a great growing experience. I was happy to see him take full responsibility for his actions in the press conference and glad he didn't sit on the bench moping.

Reaction Score
You have to understand as fans we are emotionally fragile right now. Every win is a good win. Every. One. While we certainly should beat Colgate with the talent gap on the floor we had a lot of people playing last night who haven't played many college games. It's a process, but fleudslipcon is trying to help us through it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You have to understand as fans we are emotionally fragile right now. Every win is a good win. Every. One. While we certainly should beat Colgate with the talent gap on the floor we had a lot of people playing last night who haven't played many college games. It's a process, but fleudslipcon is trying to help us through it.
Joking or not this is master class worthy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Even beyond the Jalen decision, I thought last night was a really impressive coaching performance by KO.

Called time outs when he needed to, took players in and out when they did something stupid and made in game adjustments.

Good feelings all around last night.

Having Chilli on the bench, one of his guys, with his 25 years of experience, probably helps a ton in this regard. The friction between Ollie and Miller likely worked against this. You need a number 2.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Did you see the sh1tshow last year? This reaction is in the context of that than it is this season in a vacuum.

Balls was overstated. Right move tho.

Reaction Score
This is one time where I supported whatever decision the Coach made, even if we lost. I will admit I was hoping Ollie took the disciplinary one.

If you recall Jalen had that incident where he and Coach got into it and Ollie sat him to send a message. Well, game got tight and Ollie reinserted him which defeated his message and I believe a little respect.

Putting him in street clothes alleviated Coach from doing that again (intentionally or not). Ollie has a new bunch and a lot of freshman, so I think he did right by sending the message to the team; 'no one is above the team'. More importantly Jalen is saying all the right things about Ollie's decision. Not sure he would have responded the same if Ollie was 'lenient'.

Jalen was the perfect 'sacrifice' at the right time. The bottom line, last night (and the first game) Ollie cemented the fact that he is in charge of this team.

Reaction Score
Can't remember the last supposed leader of the team not playing the opening game. Really disappointing not only for the team but for all the fans excited for the season opener. I really don't care about whether its KO's decision or Jalen's actions.
C'mon man.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was a ballsy move - if we had lost, the narrative would have been that Jalen Adams let down his team. Sure, it would have put some heat on Ollie, but he's used to that by now. A win over Colgate doesn't change much.

It does say something positive about the players, and by extension Ollie, that they were able to take care of business without him. It's certainly not something last years team could have been trusted to do.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Look, you can say it’s a ballsy move by Ollie, but as the head coach of a team hoping to rebound from a disappointing season he could only follow one path, the one he took. Players have to know that they will be held accountable for actions on and off the court, and this drives that point home in spades.

If he went soft on it thinking about the risk of losing the opening game, even if a loss affects his job security, then he isn’t the man I thought he was, and also not the right guy to coach this team.

I think it’ll be only the one game, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he sits him one more game.

Reaction Score
Putting your best player on the bench sends a message to 11 new players, and even though the offense was not that bad It could discourage problems with others down the season.

Reaction Score
It definitely took stones. We see very accomplished coaches, like Coach K and Boeheim, sweep stuff under the rug often. KO has some pressure on him but he doesn’t seem nervous at all. Jalen’s indiscretion was pretty minor and KO could have let it slide. If we were playing a big name opponent, I would have played him.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Yes, you can't tolerate such behavior, and the crime is not bad enough to warrant more than one game, but I'd be surprised and maybe even disappointed if he did NOT suspend him for a game

One of life's lessons

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom