Would you have gone for two? | The Boneyard

Would you have gone for two?

Reaction Score
This was a judgement call, so I'm not saying Mora was right or wrong. We have the benefit of hindsight which he didn't.

I would've gone for two. We had momentum. USU's defense was gassed. Their d-line looked especially so. One of the starting DBs left the previous play. We had Jelani "Mack Truck" Stafford ready to explode. 538 analytics tells you it's a good move. We haven't been able to stop USU's offense in the 2nd half, and I felt even less good about our defense vs their offense in OT.

Reaction Score
This was a judgement call, so I'm not saying Mora was right or wrong. We have the benefit of hindsight which he didn't.

I would've gone for two. We had momentum. USU's defense was gassed. Their d-line looked especially so. One of the starting DBs left the previous play. We had Jelani "Mack Truck" Stafford ready to explode. 538 analytics tells you it's a good move. We haven't been able to stop USU's offense in the 2nd half, and I felt even less good about our defense vs their offense in OT.
No

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In retrospect going for two would have made a lot of sense but imagine the criticism everywhere, especially from those who gain some feeling of superiority by criticizing kids who have already accomplished far more in less than a quarter century of life than those criticizing have in 30+, 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+ years of life (which we seem to have an abundance of on the boneyard) if we went for two and didn't make it.

Reaction Score

I would have gone for 2, but it isn’t wrong to go for one and play in OT.

Reaction Score
I wanted to go for it. As I said in the chat, I expected to botch the PAT. Even if we made it, I felt like USU was playing better and would likely win in OT. It’s sad when you don’t expect to make a big PAT, but that’s where I am psychologically. I realize we probably would have blown the 2pt attempt too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By and large Utah state owned the second half. To me if that’s the case yea go for two.

I trust us more to execute that one play than a series up plays in a half tbey put up like 300 on our defense or maybe 400 who the hell knows.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

This is literally an excerpt from your link:

"One special case: when a team scores a touchdown late to narrow the score to 1 point and then a coach has to decide whether to go for an extra point and the tie or 2 points and the win. Amazingly, this is the one situation in which coaches have broken with orthodoxy and gone for 2 occasionally — even though the chart suggests that it often isn’t justified.

Whether to “go for the win” or not in this situation is intrinsically a pretty even decision".

Mora didn't make the wrong call...

Reaction Score
Playing for OT at home is usually a good thing, but with this team who knows?

If Mora went for two and missed the board would have killed him
I thought it would show confidence in his team and possibly rattle USU. we were moving the ball really well. They were on their heels.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Should have, texted my buddies the same right after the game..

NY post already had an article up about Delani minutes after the game ended. Win or lose it would have been a great call to end a game like that.

Reaction Score
In retrospect going for two would have made a lot of sense but imagine the criticism everywhere, especially from those who gain some feeling of superiority by criticizing kids who have already accomplished far more in less than a quarter century of life than those criticizing have in 30+, 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+ years of life (which we seem to have an abundance of on the boneyard) if we went for two and didn't make it.
POST OF THE DAY!

Reaction Score

That’s a tough call, but if we were going for two, line up as though Stafford is getting the handoff and pitch it to Rosa.

Reaction Score
Was in the stands and talking to a dude behind me and we both said go for 2 because the D was getting shredded and the O just isn’t capable of trading punches. Of course, what happened is inexcusable. No last minute coaching words, sloppy and took it for granted. Blew the easiest play in football.

Reaction Score
By and large Utah state owned the second half. To me if that’s the case yea go for two.

I trust us more to execute that one play than a series up plays in a half tbey put up like 300 on our defense or maybe 400 who the hell knows.
Yes this. You aren’t gonna outscore them the way your defense was playing. You go for two since I think that’s a much better chance than out scoring them in OT

Reaction Score
I almost wanted to but Mora made the right call percentage-wise kicking it. Even if we did go for 2 and made it, USU still had about 40 seconds. It’s too easy for anything to go horribly wrong for us, as we saw today.

You just don’t allow blocked PATs in that situation. Defender rushing in wasn’t even blocked. You don’t allow that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Angry fans would have gone for two. Almost every coach would have kicked.

The Stafford play is not a lock from that distance. It works from 1 yard.
The threat of the Stafford play on a play action pass or bootleg from Roberson is all it would have taken

Reaction Score
The reason that I would have gone for 2 is the same reason I would have not done the hurry up 4/1 call in the first half. They had no answer for the big guy - 97 (#1 in our hearts). The amount of good it would have done to try to win on the field, v. what DID happen or what would have happened with a late loss or OT loss would have meant a lot to the team IMHO. Most of the time I would have said no to going for two, but today (and there are witnesses) I was calling for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom