Would you guys favor a promotion/regulation system in NCAAF? | The Boneyard

Would you guys favor a promotion/regulation system in NCAAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A system that would allow the champs of lower tier conferences a play-in game into a corresponding P5 against the bottom dweller. Below is would I would envision - why would this not work?

ProposedRegulationNCAAF.png

For the indys, ND reportedly has a scheduling agreement with the ACC, so given they are playing P5s, they are justified in having a provision to gain access to the P5 playoff. I think if we were to put this system in place, the BIG 12 would be prone to add BYU and someone else so chances of deregulation for the bottom dwellers would decrease. If that were not to happen, I think BYU wouldn't mind spending a year on the murder's row that is Rice, LA Tech and Southern Miss to get into the conf. champ game and subsequently the play-in game.

For Army and Navy to have provisions to be included in the P5 playoff they would need to at least play 7 P5 caliber games and some other requirements to be included, if not, I think much like BYU, Navy wouldn't mind taking their chances for a couple years in the Sun Belt for a chance to get to the play-in game.

Geographically - if promoted teams in a given year find a mutual intrest to switch P5 conferences we would of course allow them to switch.

How would this not work?

Reaction Score
A system that would allow the champs of lower tier conferences a play-in game into a corresponding P5 against the bottom dweller. Below is would I would envision - why would this not work?

ProposedRegulationNCAAF.png

For the indys, ND reportedly has a scheduling agreement with the ACC, so given they are playing P5s, they are justified in having a provision to gain access to the P5 playoff. I think if we were to put this system in place, the BIG 12 would be prone to add BYU and someone else so chances of deregulation for the bottom dwellers would decrease. If that were not to happen, I think BYU wouldn't mind spending a year on the murder's row that is Rice, LA Tech and Southern Miss to get into the conf. champ game and subsequently the play-in game.

For Army and Navy to have provisions to be included in the P5 playoff they would need to at least play 7 P5 caliber games and some other requirements to be included, if not, I think much like BYU, Navy wouldn't mind taking their chances for a couple years in the Sun Belt for a chance to get to the play-in game.

Geographically - if promoted teams in a given year find a mutual intrest to switch P5 conferences we would of course allow them to switch.

How would this not work?

The biggest issue I see is sports other than football. How do you relegate a team out of a conference for football but leave them for other sports.

The other issue is large, longtime rivalries and how they are handled. What happens to the Egg Bowl if either Mississippi or Mississippi State are relegated.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="HartfordHank, post: 1037256, member: 1065"
The other issue is large, longtime rivalries and how they are handled. What happens to the Egg Bowl if either Mississippi or Mississippi State are relegated.[/QUOTE]
Or the backyard brawl, or the Texas-Texas A&M game, or the keg of nails, or the Missouri-Kansas border war, or Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry..... Got to keep the rivalries alive.

Reaction Score
The biggest issue I see is sports other than football. How do you relegate a team out of a conference for football but leave them for other sports..

That is a good question - the answer is that conf. affiliation in football would be independent from the rest.

With the creating of the P5 - we have all admitted that football is in a different sphere than the rest of our sports. Conf. affiliation means significantly more in CFB than any other sport, much because of how post season play is.

Reaction Score
To the OP, I'd guess that all schools not in the P5 would vote yes to promotion/relegation and all schools in the P5 would vote no.

For me personally, I've always liked the idea (I'm a big soccer fan and have always loved the European leagues system of promotion and relegation. It's the fairest thing out there). This topic comes up every so often here, and even when UConn was in the BE and had an auto bid to the BCS many liked the idea (realizing of course it would never be a reality).

Reaction Score
What if the payouts were tiered based on a combo of performance and attendance?

Reaction Score
Because the P5 schools don't make more money. It will cost them money. Therefore it will never happen.

Why would they allow this? What's in it for them?

Why would they allow this? This would be a meritocracy and that's not what this is about.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's a fun concept to debate but it's impossible to implement because of scheduling. Football scheduling is done years in advance. It would be way too difficult to change that many schedules in less than a year.

But back to the OP, yeah I would love it. It would weed out long-term bottom feeders (I think) and give extra incentives to G5 schools and schools who were relegated.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I think it would be far simpler to have a 16 team play-off with the 10 conferences. Conference champs auto-bid. There's 10 teams. Then the 6 highest ranked teams regardless of conference affiliation. 16. Done. Oh, and make ND join a conference or be left out.

Reaction Score
This concept wreaks of the have not's desperately seeking any means to join the have's even if it means sacrificing college football tradition. The quickest way to get the have's to completely separate themselves from the have not's would be to try and force some European model type of parody on them.

If the goal is to create the best possible college football through parody and equal access without diluting tradition then why not follow the NFL model? I don't think anyone can disagree that the draft and salary cap in the NFL has enhanced the entire product for teams and fans alike. Now obviously you can't have a per say salary cap in the NCAA but why not a draft with some form of special circumstance waiver/ trade for kids that want to go to their parents Alma Mater or to a school that in deed offers a course of study not offered by the draft school. You may be able to allow schools the ability to trade freshmen and as long as all schools are playing by the same rules it's fair for everyone. Then just expand the national championship playoff to 8 teams(as 16 just drags the season out too long) and haggle over how many auto-bids there will be. One idea would be the 4 highest ranked conference champs and then the 4 highest ranked schools regardless of conference championship.

Kids would have to declare/prove eligibility for the draft and national signing day would become national draft day or week or weekend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we're going to engage in fantasies.....

mine involve Kate Beckingsale dressed in her Selena the vampire costume.

Reaction Score
This concept wreaks of the have not's desperately seeking any means to join the have's even if it means sacrificing college football tradition. The quickest way to get the have's to completely separate themselves from the have not's would be to try and force some European model type of parody on them.

If the goal is to create the best possible college football through parody and equal access without diluting tradition then why not follow the NFL model? I don't think anyone can disagree that the draft and salary cap in the NFL has enhanced the entire product for teams and fans alike. Now obviously you can't have a per say salary cap in the NCAA but why not a draft with some form of special circumstance waiver/ trade for kids that want to go to their parents Alma Mater or to a school that in deed offers a course of study not offered by the draft school. You may be able to allow schools the ability to trade freshmen and as long as all schools are playing by the same rules it's fair for everyone. Then just expand the national championship playoff to 8 teams(as 16 just drags the season out too long) and haggle over how many auto-bids there will be. One idea would be the 4 highest ranked conference champs and then the 4 highest ranked schools regardless of conference championship.

Kids would have to declare/prove eligibility for the draft and national signing day would become national draft day or week or weekend.

I disagree. College football is a PARODY.

Reaction Score

You're absolutely right - this idea does indeed wreak of the have-nots seeking a way to prove on the field that they are more deserving of elite status than the bottom dwellers of P5. I'm not sure which traditions it would break, but I'm sure bottom dwellers wouldn't like the idea because it would force them to prove they belong by actually winning a game that matters.

Reaction Score
You're absolutely right - this idea does indeed wreak of the have-nots seeking a way to prove on the field that they are more deserving of elite status than the bottom dwellers of P5. I'm not sure which traditions it would break, but I'm sure bottom dwellers wouldn't like the idea because it would force them to prove they belong by actually winning a game that matters.

Since when has any of this been about proving anything on the field? The B1G took Rutgers for crying out loud.

Reaction Score
I think it would be far simpler to have a 16 team play-off with the 10 conferences. Conference champs auto-bid. There's 10 teams. Then the 6 highest ranked teams regardless of conference affiliation. 16. Done. Oh, and make ND join a conference or be left out.
Rio, I like your thoughts....
Personally, if the B1G and ACC don't come around fairly soon, the best hope in my opinion is your thoughts on playoff expansion.
10 conference champs and 6 at large bids.

This year there is a 4 team playoff. I see expansion to the 8 team playoff (1) when a P5 conf. gets excluded to the chagrin of 2 teams from the same conf. getting a bid and (2) when the schools realize the $$$ to be earned via playoff payday. Within 5 years, I hope we're in a p5 or.....development of a 16 team playoff. READ "DEATH TO THE BCS".....

Reaction Score
Since when has any of this been about proving anything on the field? The B1G took Rutgers for crying out loud.
That kinda points out why we need a fairer system right there. In sport where conf. affiliation means so much, TV markets shouldn't be a factor in dictating who gets in where.

Reaction Score
No, it is a dumb system. Just because the existing system is also dumb doesn't mean that approach would be any better. And that doesn't even include the fact that it has zero chance of happening. While I don't favor it, I really think the ultimate solution is a 24 team tournament with all league champs (11), plus 13 at large teams. Last weekend of the regular season would be th eSaturday before Thanksgiving. Top 8 would get a first would bye. Every round would be at the home of the higher ranked team except the final which would go rotate among a series of quasi-neutral sites.

Reaction Score
That kinda points out why we need a fairer system right there. In sport where conf. affiliation means so much, TV markets shouldn't be a factor in dictating who gets in where.

Oh we need a more fair system in college football? There's a revelation.

Reaction Score
They could go a long way to making this a fairer system simply by making, but most importantly enforcing the rules for eligibility so every school is on the same playing field. Listening to Colin Cowherd today discussing the differences between how the SEC admits and schools like Stamford, Duke, Notre Dame do business could make you sick. The thing that bothers me is that it's so blatant now, nobody is really trying to cover it up even.

Reaction Score
They could go a long way to making this a fairer system simply by making, but most importantly enforcing the rules for eligibility so every school is on the same playing field. Listening to Colin Cowherd today discussing the differences between how the SEC admits and schools like Stamford, Duke, Notre Dame do business could make you sick. The thing that bothers me is that it's so blatant now, nobody is really trying to cover it up even.
I once heard the Michigan coach talking about the difference between his recruiting and Florida's. he said "well, you can get a plant into Florida is its a good football player." LOL

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Rio, I like your thoughts....
Personally, if the B1G and ACC don't come around fairly soon, the best hope in my opinion is your thoughts on playoff expansion.
10 conference champs and 6 at large bids.

This year there is a 4 team playoff. I see expansion to the 8 team playoff (1) when a P5 conf. gets excluded to the chagrin of 2 teams from the same conf. getting a bid and (2) when the schools realize the $ to be earned via playoff payday. Within 5 years, I hope we're in a p5 or.....development of a 16 team playoff. READ "DEATH TO THE BCS".....

What would be cool is to see us seeded low-mid level and watch us climb up each round just like men's BB. Willing our way to a NC- sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom