Would I prefer the ACC or the B1G? | The Boneyard

Would I prefer the ACC or the B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll start off with a disclaimer, I realize we have little control over either one of these even being an option for UConn.

However, I, along with a bunch of people have probably been wondering about this over the past few days.

As far as games I'd like to watch both football and basketball, hands down the ACC. I know the schools better for various reasons. Ex Big East, basketball rivalries, etc.

As far as geographic location and fit of schools, again, ACC. More schools I think our fans could travel to.

That's all I can think of.

Now, for the long term health of the University of Connecticut hands down the B1G. B1G is more money, and more money will hopefully allow us to invest in the University, not just it's athletic program. I would love for UConn to become a member of the AAU. I had hoped the Pres. Herbst would have somehow managed to get our toe in the door which in turn would have made us a more viable candidate for the B1G. I can see the private schools in the ACC having a hard time, and I can also see it getting poached and going down the Best East has gone. It just seems more of a sure thing, regardless of the demographic trend of football being southern states.

Anyway, just throwing this out there, curious what other people feel and why.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The ACC is better from a sports prospective -long standing rivalies in places that are easier to get to - but we need stability. Joining the B1G will allow a team to keep pace in the arms race that is big time college athletics. With the CIC it also enhances academics which is the university's core mission. The Big Ten would the better option, if it were offered. That's unlikely to happen, though.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
do u prefer 17 mil or 30 mil a year?

do u prefer a bball tney in the fields of nc and possibly nyc or in chitown and possibly nyc (both on rotation)?

do u prefer being set for the next 100 years or set for the next 3?

do u prefer playing duke, cuse and pitt in bball or ind, md and msu for starters?

do u prefer better research opps or hanging out with private schools?

do u prefer joining bcu or passing them by?

do u prefer a conf with a eastern division potentially of big publics or a north division of private schools and uconn?

do u prefer a league that knows better than to sell its sole to espn or do u prefer espn?

do u prefer seeing tosu, michigan, psu and others at the rent or fsu and crew?

do u prefer great bowl ties or shaky ones?

i could go on...

Reaction Score
yes, I agree, logically, B1G is the league we should want to be in, however as a relative new comer to College Football, I really could care less about the B1G teams in general and would prefer to watch and would enjoy more the ACC Schools in both basketball and football.

My first experience is college basketball started back with Tate's shot. I enjoyed UConn's rise and it's battles against a lot of ACC BBall schools. I basically stopped watching UConn basketball 3-4 years as I just stopped enjoying it.

I've been following UConn football since the switch to D1 and have had a great time cheering for the underdog and watching us progress. I am always waiting for our first football "Tate" shot.

I guess for me, it is more a left side and right side of the brain conflict.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If both were to offer today, UConn would be headed to the B1G. More money and more stability. That said, it's probably not all that likely right now that we'd get a B1G invite. We're not an AAU member, we're not in the contiguous model that the conference prefers, and we're "new money". An ACC/UConn partnership would be beneficial to both parties. The ACC needs UConn for its northeast TVs and money to compete with the B1G. UConn needs the ACC to re-energize a stagnant fanbase and possibly look to expand the program/stadium.

Reaction Score
yes, I agree, logically, B1G is the league we should want to be in, however as a relative new comer to College Football, I really could care less about the B1G teams in general and would prefer to watch and would enjoy more the ACC Schools in both basketball and football.

My first experience is college basketball started back with Tate's shot. I enjoyed UConn's rise and it's battles against a lot of ACC BBall schools. I basically stopped watching UConn basketball 3-4 years as I just stopped enjoying it.

I've been following UConn football since the switch to D1 and have had a great time cheering for the underdog and watching us progress. I am always waiting for our first football "Tate" shot.

I guess for me, it is more a left side and right side of the brain conflict.
UConn's first football "Tate" shot was Dreds strutting into the endzone for the win at "Leprechaun Park".

Reaction Score
UConn's first football "Tate" shot was Dreds strutting into the endzone for the win at "Leprechaun Park".

I dunno, i'm not as keen on the ND victory today as I was then, we don't seem to be following the upward trend as the basketball program did after Tate's shot.

Tate's shot was the start of an epic run for our basketball program. NCAA appearances:
1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
with 9 Elite Eight appearances and 3 national titles. (I picked elite 8 vs final 4 to compare to BCS game appearances b/c each year that many teams make it to a BCS game)

A total of eight 30 win seasons.

So post season appearances at 78%, Elite 8 at 50% National Titles 17% Thirty win seasons 35%

I see continuous improvement with the basketball program.

Since the the ND victory in 2009, 2 post season games and 1 BCS game. (w/out auto BCS we would not have been in) I think it's safe to say a post season appearance this year is going to be difficult.

At total of zero 10 win seasons.

So post season appearances at 50%, "Elite 8" at 50% * w/an Asterisk National Titles 0% Ten Win Seasons 0%

I don't see continuous improvement but rather a downward trend after the ND game.

Reaction Score
If the B1G can go to 18 and expand only on the east coast, we'll have regional rivalries in the B1G.

Reaction Score
If B1G calls, we will hang up on the ACC in less than one nano sec.

In the meantime,

In Storrs, Waiting By The Phone For The ACC
No Doubting That UConn Would Jump At The Chance
November 18, 2012|Jeff Jacobs

Reaction Score
In the meantime,

In Storrs, Waiting By The Phone For The ACC
No Doubting That UConn Would Jump At The Chance
November 18, 2012|Jeff Jacobs

Have not been following you or this thread long enough to know your point. So?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom