Would Celtics' 3-Dominant Offense Work For The 2024-25 Huskies? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would Celtics' 3-Dominant Offense Work For The 2024-25 Huskies?

Reaction Score
Azzi shot 43% her freshman season and 33% as a sophomore, or 38% for her career. Shade is right behind her at 36% having played almost the same number of games as Azzi.
You are counting the portion of the year that she played while hurt (i.e.e coming back from injury). We're not in a courtroom of law. There has to be an understanding outside the court of law that a player's stats can be affected when they are hurt. Thus over 40% is approporiate. Not under.

Reaction Score
You are counting the portion of the year that she played while hurt (i.e.e coming back from injury). We're not in a courtroom of law. There has to be an understanding outside the court of law that a player's stats can be affected when they are hurt. Thus over 40% is approporiate. Not under.
She's played 40 games in three years and 58 total minutes less than Shade has in her one season. If you're going to throw out a big portion of an already small sample size, then we really don't have enough data to conclude how good she is or isn't.

Reaction Score
She's played 40 games in three years and 58 total minutes less than Shade has in her one season. If you're going to throw out a big portion of an already small sample size, then we really don't have enough data to conclude how good she is or isn't.
Can you expalin why you feel inujuires are not important when using stats as a barometer?

Reaction Score
Can you expalin why you feel inujuires are not important when using stats as a barometer?
Because at the end of the day you don't get points for injuries. Handicaps are for golf and gambling.

Reaction Score
Because at the end of the day you don't get points for injuries. Handicaps are for golf and gambling.
I highly doubt the context of the posts being made when posters speak of Azzi being an elite 3pt shooter is the same definiiton as yours. We're not in a court of law and imo it's pretty obvious posters meant "when healthy."

At the end of the day there should be an obvious understanding of the context of posts.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt the context of the posts being made when posters speak of Azzi being an elite 3pt shooter is the same definiiton as yours. We're not in a court of law and imo it's pretty obvious posters meant "when healthy."

At the end of the day there should be an obvious understanding of the context of posts.
For some reason, the poster you are talking to is a broken record on Azzi.

Here’s my prior reply to him.

And if Azzi makes 6 out of 6 in her first game back, she becomes elite. And she has two years of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
For some reason, the poster you are talking to is a broken record on Azzi.

Here’s my prior reply to him.

And if Azzi makes 6 out of 6 in her first game back, she becomes elite. And she has two years of eligibility left.
I think the context of this thread was suppose to assume "health" would be understood. And if we look a Azzi counting her frosh year and through the 6th game of her soph year- she played 31 games and took 172 3's. She made 74 which is an average of 43% from 3. That's equivalent to 63.9%. That's what imo anyone that is referring to Azzi when speaking of her being an elite 3 pt shooter, they logically take into account injuries or lack thereof.

But some posters - even UCONN fans- some just have a negative view with UCONN on many things. I know a few people- great kind, super nice people- they don't post on here but just when it comes to sports - it kills them to be positive unless they hear the media going negative when their team is doing great. Then they’ll crush the media. Great people but when it comes to sports sometimes need to express some form of complaint. :):).

In regard to this thread and imo the Op's point-- how can anyone realistically argue that Azzi isn't an amazing 3 pt shooter when healthy? When you play 31 games and take 6 3's a game and you are shooting over 43% from 3, vs when you come back from injury with only 6 games and you have an average of same number of 3pt shots yet your % is just 27.5%, it’s pretty obvious that the player was hurt in the context of a thread like this. The stats show this to be true.

Reaction Score
Azzi shot 43% her freshman season and 33% as a sophomore, or 38% for her career. Shade is right behind her at 36% having played almost the same number of games as Azzi.
This comes under the heading of misuse of stats, which I take to be your point. That 33% as a sophomore is a combination of 40% before the injury and 27% after the injury. This means the 38% career number is not meaningful.

It's still the summer, so there's no point assuming Azzi will be unable to come back from the injury. That's a waste of time. Therefore, I'll assume she comes back healthy at some point, maybe in December, maybe in January, whenever. But when she comes back, I think we'll see the >40% Azzi. That's the injury-free Azzi's shooting percentage.

Reaction Score
I agree. Though I don't think either of them is as proficient Paige Azzi Allie Sarah Q Caroline. I think Ice shot 25%, which is perhaps on the low side for this sort of assignment. Of course, she didn't take many, so the data set may be too small in her case. I also wonder if Kaitlyn will up her perimeter game too, given the competitive environment she's just entered. And I missed KK who shot better than I realized at 33%. So Geno has a lot of potential shooters.

Players like Shade & Arnold & Brady and Griffin are reasonably good spot up shooters. Fudd Bueckers Ducharme and I think Strong and Ziebell can catch and shoot coming off a screen and/or can create an open 3 by themselves. They are also volume shooters if need be. I see Ziebell taking KLS's role from 2016, stroking open 3's from the corner and wing and maybe setting a record for 3pt%. It's all good.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty clear that Azzi, if healthy, is at a different level as a three point shooter than anyone on this team with the exception of Paige. Allie has the potential to be an elite shooter as well but has not had the opportunity to show it in college yet. I love Ash and believe her to be a future all american but she’s just not in the same league as Azzi when it comes to shooting threes. I believe that Azzi, if she can be truly healthy for an extended period of time, one or two full seasons, will finally get her confidence back and show everyone just what a perfect shooting stroke can accomplish! It would not surprise me at all if she is the leading scorer on this team if she is healthy!

Like our expectations for Azzi, virtually everything we are hoping for from this extraordinary roster, is going to depend on health! If it’s good, then there are truly no limits for this team! If not, well we’ve seen that movie already too many times. At least we can be assured there’ll be no give up in any of Geno’s players! They will, yet again show that it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but rather the size of the fight in the dog that determines most fights and our girl’s fight is very large!

Reaction Score
Rather than all in on a particular strategy, I think this roster enables Geno to pursue various strategies, with the good news being potentially we could be very good inside, outside, and from mid range. I say potentially because the inside part is not quite as certain at this point.

I personally think Jana and Sarah will be effective there, also score from other parts of the floor, but since they have not played yet there is some uncertainty. As for other low post options, Ice and Ayanna have not been that good down low, but I think Ice at least has the potential to be effective there. Aubrey when she returns can score inside but more as a slasher. In short to be really good inside we need Jana and Sarah to be the real deal, which I think they will be.

The good outside options have been mentioned by everyone here. Some may be good enough to take 3's when they present themselves, like KK, Kaitlin, perhaps Morgan, and Jana and Ice, and others are in the you can't leave them alone category like Paige, Azzi, Allie, Ashlyn, Caroline and Q. Since Paige and Azzi on the perimeter and Sarah upfront should get big minutes, most of the time we will have at least three very good 3pt shooters on the floor. Four if teamed with one of the other great perimeter shooters.

As for mid range, we have two players with exceptional pull up jumpers in Paige and Azzi. Kaitlin's specialty is that range as well, Caroline has shown that ability, and based on the videos I think Morgan will be strong there as well.

We could be great from all three zones, have a few more uncertainties but potential inside, and could load up on three point shooters if Geno wants to. With Jana and Sarah in the lineup I think we will have good balance and a pick your poison scenario for opposing coaches. When we go to the bench upfront, i think we may become more perimeter oriented, and could stack the lineup with great long range options and go 4 out instead of using two bigs. If healthy and the newcomers are good too, lots of very good options, a situation injuries have denied us the last few years.

Reaction Score
How time has flown. It seems like it was only a years ago when we, well some of us, were comparing the squad to the Warriors. We had our own Splash Sisters and visions of the Husky offense playing similar to the Warriors of Curry, Thompson, Green, Durant, and Looney. We were dreaming of Azzi, Paige, Caroline, coming off down screens, split post actions, or zoom action, knocking down mid-range and long range jumpers. Back then we were thinking of the Golden State Warriors Death Line Up and what it would look like. Now are thinking of the Celtics offense. Anything is possible. A lot will depend on the players and their skill development habits since the season ended and going into the summer.

Reaction Score
How time has flown. It seems like it was only a years ago when we, well some of us, were comparing the squad to the Warriors. We had our own Splash Sisters and visions of the Husky offense playing similar to the Warriors of Curry, Thompson, Green, Durant, and Looney. We were dreaming of Azzi, Paige, Caroline, coming off down screens, split post actions, or zoom action, knocking down mid-range and long range jumpers. Back then we were thinking of the Golden State Warriors Death Line Up and what it would look like. Now are thinking of the Celtics offense. Anything is possible. A lot will depend on the players and their skill development habits since the season ended and going into the summer.
The Celts, Warriors and UCONN are still mostly heavily perimeter "dependent."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom