Would CD be interested in RU now? | The Boneyard

Would CD be interested in RU now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With CViv's huge salary and RU's middling performance, there's reason to think she might be gone within a few years.

As we know, the only job CD was ever very serious about was the RU one - but that was 20 years ago. Would she be interested in it now?

On net, I would say less than 50% chance she'd go, but there are a few reasons to think it could possibly happen.
1) With RU in the Big10, she wouldn't have to face her UConn family.
2) CD is 5-7 yrs younger than Geno. She may not be ready to retire when he does.
3) In her early 50s, if she was ever going to head coach, her window is closing.
4) The idea that she doesnt want to head coach is not true -- she admitted to being very interested in the BC job ... until she learned more about it.
5) RU offers familiar surroundings, a good program, fan support, and $.

Reaction Score
IMHO CD and Geno will remain at UCONN for another 10 years or so and then retire together.

Reaction Score
I agree that the RU job may be the only one CD would consider at this time, but I think at this point in her career and life, she is happy and content. She obviously loves her job and has been happy and comfortable here for 28 years. IMHO she'll stay until Geno retires and then she will retire as well, or maybe she will stick around for another year or so if the new coach is a former player or assistant, a la George Blaney on the men's side for Kevin Ollie.

If the RU job opens, she may look into it and who knows, maybe it will be an offer she can't refuse, but I really think that she is going to stay around until Geno retires. I don't think there are any guarantees. Who knows.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that the RU job may be the only one CD would consider at this time, but I think at this point in her career and life, she is happy and content. She obviously loves her job and has been happy and comfortable here for 28 years. IMHO she'll stay until Geno retires and then she will retire as well, or maybe she will stick around for another year or so if the new coach is a former player or assistant, a la George Blaney on the men's side for Kevin Ollie.

If the RU job opens, she may look into it and who knows, maybe it will be an offer she can't refuse, but I really think that she is going to stay around until Geno retires. I don't think there are any guarantees. Who knows.

She doesn't need the money. And she wouldn't have time to build a team with anywhere near UConn's talent.

It's more fun to coach and to be a part of a really great team, than to be the boss of a less talented one.

Bottom Line -- CD ain't goin' anywhere soon -- or later.

Reaction Score
She doesn't need the money. And she wouldn't have time to build a team with anywhere near UConn's talent.

It's more fun to coach and to be a part of a really great team, than to be the boss of a less talented one.

Then why was she very interested in the BC job?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Interesting timing, as I discussed this with a connected RU fan today. One of the things mentioned was that she has two years left on a contract, at which point she will be 66. My own interpretation of the discussion is that the school might decline a renewal.

Reaction Score
  1. The million dollar salary for CVS is a huge albatross around RU's neck. I can't imagine that CVS will be renewed in light of her inability to put an attractive product on the court. Even with Big 10 money, I suspect the AD will be quite reluctant to break the bank in hiring her successor, making it even less likely that CD would jump ship.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Then why was she very interested in the BC job?
Because reportedly Geno has encouraged several times to go out and look at other positions.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
  1. The million dollar salary for CVS is a huge albatross around RU's neck. I can't imagine that CVS will be renewed in light of her inability to put an attractive product on the court. Even with Big 10 money, I suspect the AD will be quite reluctant to break the bank in hiring her successor, making it even less likely that CD would jump ship.

They will have to physically remove her from her office. I can't see CViv going gently into that good night. Or gracefully.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
No, TR, I suspect you're right. Although I am not a fan of CViv at all, I do think that dogged personality trait is one that has served her well throughout her life and career. Almost all the important women in my life have had strong personalities. I am quite fond of the simple, six-word bumper sticker that you see occassionally:"Well-behaved women seldom make history".

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Rumors of CV's demise has been a constant on one the Rutger's boards for years. I agree with TR - she will not go quietly into the night .......

Reaction Score
Rumors of CV's demise has been a constant on one the Rutgers boards for years. I agree with TR - she will not go quietly into the night .......

I would agree that's her personality, but she's in a bad spot.

All the AD needs to do is to get some newspapers to write about her exorbitant salary (top 5 I believe) and her middling results lately (see below), and the taxpayers will start demanding her contract not being renewed. It's a PR war she can't win.

Finished in top 3 of conference
1998-2008: 9/11
2009-2012: 0/4

Sweet 16
1998-2008: 7/11
2009-2012: 1/4

25+ Wins
1998-2008: 6/11

Elite 8
1998-2008: 5/11

And the way things have started this year, I wouldnt bet on those numbers getting any better this year.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I would agree that's her personality, but she's in a bad spot.

All the AD needs to do is to get some newspapers to write about her exorbitant salary (top 5 I believe) and her middling results lately (see below), and the taxpayers will start demanding her contract not being renewed. It's a PR war she can't win.

And the way things have started this year, I wouldnt bet on those numbers getting any better this year.

These are great points VG and you have excellent data. And this is exactly what the Rutger's fans have been screaming about for several years. Way too high a salary without a championship to show for it. (And ONLY a championship will justify that salary!) The results, as you document, have been getting worse, not better.

Especially damning has been the disappointment from her supposedly stellar recruiting classes a few years back, highlighted by the number of transfers of those "star" players.

But I with the move into the B1G, maybe this is as good a time as any for the RU athletic department to push the issue.

Given the fact that the Rutger's fan base seems to generally not have positive feelings towards UConn, I wonder if their AD would even consider CD should the head coaching job become available.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
What RU fans are not getting is while they call for CVS's head. I don't see RU putting out the money at this point to really find a good replacement for her. And if that happens. I can see transfers of players, and no more bringing in top talent. They don't seem to think about the fact that these recruits come to play for her.

If CD wanted the job once CVS leaves(whenever that is, and I don't think it will be soon) great. I, however, think CVS is a lot better then other options.

Now I'm going to go while my high from how great we played yesterday wears off in this thread.

Reaction Score
What RU fans are not getting is while they call for CVS's head. I don't see RU putting out the money at this point to really find a good replacement for her.

I don't understand. Her salary is in the top 5. I'd be that even 75% of that salary would be in the top 10. RU would really want an even more severe salary cut for the replacement?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
What RU fans are not getting is while they call for CVS's head. I don't see RU putting out the money at this point to really find a good replacement for her. And if that happens. I can see transfers of players, and no more bringing in top talent. They don't seem to think about the fact that these recruits come to play for her.

If CD wanted the job once CVS leaves(whenever that is, and I don't think it will be soon) great. I, however, think CVS is a lot better then other options.

Now I'm going to go while my high from how great we played yesterday wears off in this thread.
Yup, they played great yesterday in beating LaTech in a blowout.. But LaTech is one of the worst teams in the country, #238 per Sagarin.

Maybe the recruits do come to play for Stringer. That does not justify poor results given her huge salary.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Yup, they played great yesterday in beating LaTech in a blowout.. But LaTech is one of the worst teams in the country, #238 per Sagarin.

Maybe the recruits do come to play for Stringer. That does not justify poor results given her huge salary.

True that it was against LaTech, however, even in earlier wins against teams like LaTech we didn't play well. We didn't have the flow that we did yesterday or the the game against LIU for that matter. Every player came in and played well for us which can only help moving forward. I still really like this team, and where they can go. I don't share other people's concerns yet. Everyone knows we're better late in the season. I think we'll be just fine.

As for CVS's salary and contract, I still feel CVS will be at Rutgers until she decides to retire. Could be wrong, but I just don't think RU will give her the boot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would say there are two elite program/coaches at the moment in Stanford/Tara and Uconn/Geno. These are programs and coaches that have produced consistent quality over a long period.
There are a second tier of high quality coaches who have produced high quality in spurts or for a recent period of time - ND/Muffitt, Baylor/Kim, OK/Sherri.
And there are a few schools that have produced high quality for a prolonged period through coaching changes - TN, Duke
There are a number of rising coaches and rising programs that the jury is still out on - example PSU.
And there are a number of coaches with high win totals and longevity but no recent results - examples UNC, Rutgers
(TN/Pat would obviously have been in the first group except for her retirement.)
There are a few coaches that I have no idea where to put - Maryland/Brenda
I do think CD would listen if Rutgers called, but it would have to be a dream offer for her to jump. Five years ago - yes, three years from now - probably too late.
And for CViv - all it takes to go from goat to brilliant again is a transcendant player. Her best Rutgers teams had great players who have proved it at the next level again and they sure made her look like a good coach. If she had landed a EDD or BG or MM she would have made a lot of noise. (We will see if UNC can revive their fortunes with this next class.) I've never cared for CViv and think she is probably overpaid, but I doubt Rutgers cuts ties. To some degree she provides cover for the AD in terms of balancing 'commitment' between men's and women's sports, and it is hard to argue that they have a better coach than her for any of the other major sports teams.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Given the fact that the Rutger's fan base seems to generally not have positive feelings towards UConn, I wonder if their AD would even consider CD should the head coaching job become available.

They would be absolute fools to turn down one of the most respected assistants in the country simply because she has worked at UConn, but for my only selfish reasons, I hope they do.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If Geno retired in five years, would CD be considered for the position? Even if it was for a year?

Reaction Score
If Geno retired in five years, would CD be considered for the position? Even if it was for a year?

Right now, I think the next coach will be CD, Shea, or JRizz. Someone else could emerge, but I see no one else close right now.

The problem would be if Shea & JRizz are viewed as future stars and you don't want to pass on them when you have the chance. Because once their gone, they may be gone for good. (In the way that LaTech screwed up with Kim Mulkey.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'll throw out another name that any quality program would be foolish to overlook in finding a new coach, Suzie McConnell Serio. What Suzie is doing at Duquense is excellent, especially, when you consider she faces, essentially, the same challenges that Jen faces at Hartford in recruiting. The Dukes have one loss to date this year by 4 points to North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and they have beaten Delaware and Pitt. Suzie is doing a heck of a job. Luring Suzie away from Pittsburg is, also, similar to luring Jen away from CT.

Reaction Score
Tonya could get in the mix if Temple succeeds following its move to the BE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom