Would Baylor be this year's UConn if they had beat UConn? | The Boneyard

Would Baylor be this year's UConn if they had beat UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In another thread a couple weeks ago I said Baylor is the one team that would worry me in a rematch or in March. Looking at the latest team statistics Baylor on paper, but also with parts of the eye test, is overwhelming opponents the same way UConn has done in the past. They lead or are near the top nationally on most key statistical categories, some by a pretty significant margin. Offense, scoring margin, FG%, OPP FG%, rebounding, assists, blocks....

2017 Women's College Basketball Team Statistics - ESPN

If not for a breakout freshman performance, since not repeated by Crystal, the game most likely would have ended differently. How do you think UConn would fair on a neutral court or at Baylor if they played today?

Not that stats matter, but I do keep in mind UConn's stats will rise as their brutal OOC schedule is mostly over and league play has started. Also, its encouraging and impressive to see that that UConn has played and beaten (assuming they win tomorrow night) 5 of the top 6 rebounding (by margin) teams in the country.

2017 Women's College Basketball Team Statistics - ESPN

For the record I pick UConn, but it would be a heck of a game as both teams look much better than game #2. Look forward to hearing your thoughts....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mulkey's teams improve, as do Geno's. It is unlikely that they let Crystal Dangerfield beat them a second time.

This year's UConn team is very good but doesn't have margin that some of our best teams have had. I'll be worried right through the last game.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
WTF? Would Clemson be this year's Alabama if they beat Alabama?
Mulkey's teams improve, as do Geno's. It is unlikely that they let Crystal Dangerfield beat them a second time.

This year's UConn team is very good but doesn't have margin that some of best teams have had. I'll be worried right through the last game.
It is also doubtful that Nurse would go 3-12, Collier would score only 10 pts., and Gabby would play only 25 mins. I think all things being equal, all things would be equal.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

It is also doubtful that Nurse would go 3-12, Collier would score only 10 pts., and Gabby would play only 25 mins. I think all things being equal, all things would be equal.

I also doubt that Nina Davis and Lauren Cox would have 0 points and that Kalani Brown would only play 19 minutes and score only 9 points.

I've calculated that if Baylor can win out and wins a championship that they could possibly enter the NCAA tourney next season with a 70+ game winning streak.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Things will be different, but they probably won't be equal. Geno is probably the best game planner in the country. I like our chances but Baylor is a very talented team.

Reaction Score
I also doubt that Nina Davis and Lauren Cox would have 0 points and that Kalani Brown would only play 19 minutes and score only 9 points.

I've calculated that if Baylor can win out and wins a championship that they could possibly enter the NCAA tourney next season with a 70+ game winning streak.

A lot of "ifs" in that scenario. Oh and by the way Baylor will lose 2 more games this season.

Reaction Score
The Baylor team that lost to Louisville a few years ago was more dominant. Anything can happen...

JordyG

Reaction Score

As I said. All things being equal, all things would be equal. And until Davis proves to me she can consistently hit that terrible shot, UConn would continue to sag off of her and dare her to beat the more athletic Gabby or Pheesa off the dribble. Also I think Brown and Cox would continue to have problems dealing with the athleticism of Gabby and Collier.

Reaction Score

What was Baylor's longest winning streak when Britney Griner was playing?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What was Baylor's longest winning streak when Britney Griner was playing?

Your question is rhetorical, but the answer is 42 :)

Any rematch, be it with any other #1 seed, will be very challenging. Thankfully, if things keep playing out now as they have been, no such rematch would occur before the national semis. It'll all be fair game by that point.

Reaction Score

Hi JordyG - Thanks for your input. Most of these threads are all opinion and theory for the sake of discussion. The point of the conversation is that Baylor is putting up gaudy UConn(ish) numbers, it was a close game at home until the end and it was early on in the season when we beat them. Much different than a final championship game you use as an example.

That said, I would not ask the same question about any of the other teams we have bested, even with Maryland playing us tough and having impressive numbers too. Florida State is better at this point than I thought they would be... however, I actually think UConn would beat them by double digits if they played right now. So you see how you can have an opinion of a different outcome. Even with all things being equal it may not come out the SAME. I agree with your points about UConn players having room for improvement from game#2 and I assume like almost everyone on this thread, you believe UConn would win any game against any opponent at this time.

Reaction Score
It's largely irrelevant to compare stats at this point in the season. In the final four, you might as well throw the stats out the window, because the team that is more prepared and poised is going to win out. There's a reason Uconn's won the last four in a row people, and it's not all because of talent. In Geno we trust.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hi JordyG - Thanks for your input. Most of these threads are all opinion and theory for the sake of discussion. The point of the conversation is that Baylor is putting up gaudy UConn(ish) numbers, it was a close game at home until the end and it was early on in the season when we beat them. Much different than a final championship game you use as an example.

That said, I would not ask the same question about any of the other teams we have bested, even with Maryland playing us tough and having impressive numbers too. Florida State is better at this point than I thought they would be... however, I actually think UConn would beat them by double digits if they played right now. So you see how you can have an opinion of a different outcome. Even with all things being equal it may not come out the SAME. I agree with your points about UConn players having room for improvement from game#2 and I assume like almost everyone on this thread, you believe UConn would win any game against any opponent at this time.
Any team anywhere, anytime. What I find fascinating is how some people on other boards believe their team will improve and UConn will remain somehow locked in amber. When UConn beat Maryland I noted during the game that it looked to me that 3 to 4 players were playing sick. Gabby has since come out and said she'd been fighting illness since the ND game. I thought UConn's fatigue showed when they couldn't hold that double digit lead, and I attributed that directly to illness. Yet Maryland boosters, and many here, saw that 6 point loss as a vast improvement over the 10 point loss last year, although they were never down by 18 against Stewie and crew that game. I saw all obstacles to overcome on the blue side.

As for Baylor, well, that was an experienced team with all the returning AA's. They played an inexperienced UConn team early in the season. Truly, all things are never equal at any time. Baylor believers too want to think this young UConn team will remain trapped in prehistoric amber while, as I've said before, the rest of the basketball world advances to moon walking. Sorry, not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Any team anywhere, anytime. What I find fascinating is how some people on other boards believe their team will improve and UConn will remain somehow locked in amber. When UConn beat Maryland I noted during the game that it looked to me that 3 to 4 players were playing sick. Gabby has since come out and said she'd been fighting illness since the ND game. I thought UConn's fatigue showed when they couldn't hold that double digit lead, and I attributed that directly to illness. Yet Maryland boosters, and many here, saw that 6 point loss as a vast improvement over the 10 point loss last year, although they were never down by 18 against Stewie and crew that game. I saw all obstacles to overcome on the blue side.

As for Baylor, well, that was an experienced team with all the returning AA's. They played an inexperienced UConn team early in the season. Truly, all things are never equal at any time. Baylor believers too want to think this young UConn team will remain trapped in prehistoric amber while, as I've said before, the rest of the basketball world advances to moon walking. Sorry, not going to happen.

I agree 100% Reminds me of South Carolina being prematurely crowned 2 years ago and all the smack their fans talked. I hate to sound like a homer but until someone beats UConn, other fans should just be not engage in trash talking... I thought for Maryland game the analyst also missed that most of UConn was playing under the weather. Also, good thing (questionable) fouls limited our forwards from playing defense and their PG shot lights out in Q4 otherwise it would have been 20 point loss.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's largely irrelevant to compare stats at this point in the season. In the final four, you might as well throw the stats out the window, because the team that is more prepared and poised is going to win out. There's a reason Uconn's won the last four in a row people, and it's not all because of talent. In Geno we trust.

I'll give you the first of the 4 with regard your supposition.
For the rest, strongly disagree; it was the talent

Reaction Score
I'll give you the first of the 4 with regard your supposition.
For the rest, strongly disagree; it was the talent
I understand where you're coming from in that regard, but I'm mainly referring to the inability of other teams to step up under the bright lights of the final four. Take Notre Dame, for example. There have been recent years where many of their stats were either on par with or better than ours going into the tournament, yet were unable to get it done. If you look at this year, there have been several teams with better stats/more individual talent than this years Uconn team, yet we've still stepped up in big games. Who's to say that it won't continue through the tournament, given Uconn's national championship success?

Reaction Score
Only if in the NCAA tourney.
If true, then your hypothetical (70+ wins in a row heading into tourney) is not far-fetched. Based on the scores of some recent games Baylor is playing incredibly well and has a serious chance of running the table this year. Next year if we do meet the Lady Bears in the Final Four I like our chances. A lot.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If true, then your hypothetical (70+ wins in a row heading into tourney) is not far-fetched. Based on the scores of some recent games Baylor is playing incredibly well and has a serious chance of running the table this year. Next year if we do meet the Lady Bears in the Final Four I like our chances. A lot.
That would be one heck of a game. I think Baylor is truly an elite team although I don't know how tough their competition has been so far. However, maybe I'm seeing things that are not there because I thought SC was a better team than they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom