Would a WNBA Team consisting of entirely of UConn Alums be the WNBA's Best? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would a WNBA Team consisting of entirely of UConn Alums be the WNBA's Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What university BESIDES UCONN can assemble a team of current WNBA players that could complete???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I beg to differ in both counts, Maya has not been effective in slowing down EDD. The only things that have been effective against EDD is Lyme Disease and a bad back. I'm a Maya fan but lets not overstate. BG has dominated Tina in every game they played except the last one which the Liberty won. This is the WNBA so Geno isn't coaching. We'd have to get a current WNBA Coach or assistant, so we don't know about coaching. I agree wholeheartedly on Sue Bird!!
I saw one game this summer in which Maya denied the passes to EDD, and Elena had about 10 points on subpar shooting. Was Elena's energy low? Maybe, but Maya did limit her. I like EDD as a person and player. I want to see her 100% healthy, and for 3-4 years, I've wanted her to get stronger. She can be even better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What university BESIDES UCONN can assemble a team of current WNBA players that could complete???
Maybe not compete, but this line-up is pretty good:

C. Ogwumike
N. Ogwumike
J. Pohlen
K. Pedersen
C. Wiggins
J. Appel

Reaction Score
Maybe not compete, but this line-up is pretty good:

C. Ogwumike
N. Ogwumike
J. Pohlen
K. Pedersen
C. Wiggins
J. Appel
Yep, respectable, but not at the same level of an all-Husky squad.

Reaction Score
Charles, Dolson, DT, Bird, Hartley, Cash, Hayes, Jones, Montgomery, Moore, Greene, Houston.....

An entire team and a team that could actually complete on a high level.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sounds like some 'ND Hate' which I completely understand and appreciate, but IMHO Diggins is in her second year in the league is on par with Whalen right now, Sue Bird is still a better PG than both of them but don't discount the talent of Skylar, self-promotion aside.
ND hate? Wrong. And I don't appreciate that, to tell you the truth.

It's statistically based.

While Diggins scored more, that was based on shooting more.

FG % - Whalen 48% (180/375), Diggins, 42% (232/548)
3 pt% - Whalen 10% (1-10), Diggins 28% (33/117)
RPG - Whalen 4.2, Diggins 2.1
APG - Whalen 5.6, Diggins 5.0
TO - Whalen 1.82, Diggins, 2.88
SPG - Whalen .8, Diggins, 1.5

This doesn't include the tough defense Whalen plays compared to the weaker defense that Diggins plays. Yes, she steals the ball a little more but she struggles to keep her man in front of her. I don't think there is a debate who plays better defense.

So, not, not ND hating. Just an opinion that an Olympian is better than a 2 year player.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

This doesn't include the tough defense Whalen plays compared to the weaker defense that Diggins plays. Yes, she steals the ball a little more but she struggles to keep her man in front of her. I don't think there is a debate who plays better defense.

So, not, not ND hating. Just an opinion that an Olympian is better than a 2 year player.
I didn't take you for a stat hound, but since you want to be that guy, okay. Stats don't tell the whole story. even though Whalen plays on a far superior team with far superior talent and isn't asked to take the offensive load Skylar has to take. She doesn't play with the league MVP and 2 other Olympians, which makes a difference. You use your Stats and I use my eyes. BTW, how many ppg did DT3 average in the Western Conference Finals on the supposed Defensive wizard?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No wonder Ms Davis from Philly wants to play for Geno and wear a UCONN jersey in 5 years or less.......

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I didn't take you for a stat hound, but since you want to be that guy, okay. Stats don't tell the whole story. even th
Well, I'm sure you had more to say.

I have no idea how you would know if I was or wasn't a stats hound. But I do think they are an indication of performance based on facts.

Certainly more than what you have provided to show that Diggins is on par with Whalen other than because you say so.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I didn't take you for a stat hound, but since you want to be that guy, okay. Stats don't tell the whole story. even though Whalen plays on a far superior team with far superior talent and isn't asked to take the offensive load Skylar has to take. She doesn't play with the league MVP and 2 other Olympians, which makes a difference. You use your Stats and I use my eyes. BTW, how many ppg did DT3 average in the Western Conference Finals on the supposed Defensive wizard?
Oh goodie. An expert. Because you see it.

Yes, Whalen played with better players. But she wasn't selected to the USA team based on that. And the offensive load taken on by Diggins? All that means is she shot more. She has never been a very good shooter.

Are you seriously trashing Whalens defense based on guarding Taurasi?

For one thing, Whalen didn't guard Taurasi 100% of the time. Do you know how many ppg Taurasi scored when guarded by Whalen? Didn't think so.

And you are talking about guarding the best offensive player in the league, maybe ever.

But to answer your question, how many ppg did Taurasi score when guarded by Whalen? Less than what Diggins would have given up.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Oh goodie. An expert. Because you see it.

Yes, Whalen played with better players. But she wasn't selected to the USA team based on that. And the offensive load taken on by Diggins? All that means is she shot more. She has never been a very good shooter.

Are you seriously trashing Whalens defense based on guarding Taurasi?

For one thing, Whalen didn't guard Taurasi 100% of the time. Do you know how many ppg Taurasi scored when guarded by Whalen? Didn't think so.

And you are talking about guarding the best offensive player in the league, maybe ever.

But to answer your question, how many ppg did Taurasi score when guarded by Whalen? Less than what Diggins would have given up.
No one guards anyone 100% of the time and that's my point, your declarative statement that Whalen is a better defensive player than Diggins left no room for doubt. As I said I know what I see, their stats are comparable and they're both at Team USA camp so we'll see what the experts say about the two of them. I guess snark is the stock-in-trade on this Board and only certain people are allowed to express opinions.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No one guards anyone 100% of the time and that's my point, your declarative statement that Whalen is a better defensive player than Diggins left no room for doubt. As I said I know what I see, their stats are comparable and they're both at Team USA camp so we'll see what the experts say about the two of them. I guess snark is the stock-in-trade on this Board and only certain people are allowed to express opinions.
Sorry, but she is a better defensive player then Diggins.

You think this is snarky? I will stop posting to you now. I don't want you to complain to the mods.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom