Would a WNBA Team consisting of entirely of UConn Alums be the WNBA's Best? | The Boneyard

Would a WNBA Team consisting of entirely of UConn Alums be the WNBA's Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
After watching the WNBA Western Conference Finals, I had an intriguing thought, would a UConn alum team of current WNBA Players be the WNBA's best? What are your thoughts? 12 UConn alums that are on team rosters today and who would be the starting 5?
PG- DT3
SG- Bria Hartley
SF-Maya Moore
PF- Tina Charles
C- Stephanie Dolson
6th- Tiffany Hayes

Reaction Score
That's a powerhouse starting line up right there. They'd give opponents fits for sure!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
After watching the WNBA Western Conference Finals, I had an intriguing thought, would a UConn alum team of current WNBA Players be the WNBA's best? What are your thoughts? 12 UConn alums that are on team rosters today and who would be the starting 5?
PG- DT3
SG- Bria Hartley
SF-Maya Moore
PF- Tina Charles
C- Stephanie Dolson
6th- Tiffany Hayes

No, no, NO! You've got to start Sue at PG and Dee at SG.

And geez, you've got Swin, Renee, Kelley, Bria, and Kalana on the bench with Tiffany.

Only place you're thin is at C/PF, but you've got enough height/athleticism overall to give most any other team a run for their money.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think that a team of UConn alums might be the best - or almost the best - current WNBA team compared to the other teams less their UConn players.

I'm not so sure on UConn alums vs say a team made up of all the non-UConn all-WNBA'ers that you could also construct as an imaginary team.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I think that a team of UConn alums might be the best - or almost the best - current WNBA team compared to the other teams less their UConn players.

I'm not so sure on UConn alums vs say a team made up of all the non-UConn all-WNBA'ers that you could also construct as an imaginary team.
KB, play Devil's advocate and construct your team of current WNBA non-UConn alums to match. This could get really interesting and fun!!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
No, no, NO! You've got to start Sue at PG and Dee at SG.

And geez, you've got Swin, Renee, Kelley, Bria, and Kalana on the bench with Tiffany.

Only place you're thin is at C/PF, but you've got enough height/athleticism overall to give most any other team a run for their money.
I bring Sue off the bench as my first guard, because of the versatility of DT3 and Maya we could play around a bit with the 1-2 and 3 spots. The team would be weak at the 4 spot, but I believe we could get away with some 3 guard rotations and Swin could give us about 10 minutes a night at the 4. I also like running Renee and Sue together if we want to press some teams,

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'll play along.
PG Diggins
SG Catchings
SF Delle Donne
PF Parker
C Griner
How would this team fair?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The UConn team is a bit thin up front .. unless, A.Jones is healthier, in which case, woooof!

U

UCONNfan1

FWIW, Sue and Dee are going to be starters for the US National team and probably for the Olympics as well. I'd put starters of Sue, Dee, Maya, Stewie and Tina. That's basically 5 players who are either currently on, or shortly will be, the US National team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll play along.
PG Diggins
SG Catchings
SF Delle Donne
PF Parker
C Griner
And add Pondexter, Whalen, (a healthy) Fowles as back-ups, can't forget Siemone either. Lots of first rate talent out there. Also like Bonner when putting team together and even a Penny Taylor.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
FWIW, Sue and Dee are going to be starters for the US National team and probably for the Olympics as well. I'd put starters of Sue, Dee, Maya, Stewie and Tina. That's basically 5 players who are either currently on, or shortly will be, the US National team.
Stewie is ineligible for this particular exercise because she's not currently on a WNBA roster, which is the only criteria. Sue may not start on Team USA, Odyssey Sims, Lindsay Whalen and Skylar Diggins will have some say in that. I still believe Sue to be the best PG in the world, but the other three aren't too shabby.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I'll play along.
PG Diggins
SG Catchings
SF Delle Donne
PF Parker
C Griner
This is an awesome squad, I believe the difference-maker would be EDD, she's too hard too guard. We also have no answer for BG on the defensive end. Offensively Team Husky could compete, but defensively could we guard EDD and BG?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
UCONNfan1 said:

I like that group...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Stewie is ineligible for this particular exercise because she's not currently on a WNBA roster, which is the only criteria. Sue may not start on Team USA, Odyssey Sims, Lindsay Whalen and Skylar Diggins will have some say in that. I still believe Sue to be the best PG in the world, but the other three aren't too shabby.
Diggins can't hold Whalens jock strap.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Question of whether or not against could defend would be readily answered if she were put to guard Lindsay Whalen. And it wouldn't be pretty

Reaction Score
PG- DT3
SG- Bria Hartley
SF-Maya Moore
PF- Tina Charles
C- Stephanie Dolson
6th- Tiffany Hayes

They could break off someday and become the female version of the Globetrotters.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Diggins can't hold Whalens jock strap.
Sounds like some 'ND Hate' which I completely understand and appreciate, but IMHO Diggins is in her second year in the league is on par with Whalen right now, Sue Bird is still a better PG than both of them but don't discount the talent of Skylar, self-promotion aside.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is an awesome squad, I believe the difference-maker would be EDD, she's too hard too guard. We also have no answer for BG on the defensive end. Offensively Team Husky could compete, but defensively could we guard EDD and BG?
Maya has been effective at slowing down Elena. And Tina can play Griner.

The non-UConn All-Star team would match up with the UConn team. But we'd have the better coach. :) And if Stewie, Kiah, and Kaleena were on the squad, I'd really like our chances.

Sue Bird starts on ANY team. Any team. She'll get her 11th Gold with Team USA this fall. And I'll be there cheering.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes that would be a great team.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
They could break off someday and become the female version of the Globetrotters.
They have had two female players. Jolette Law who is a assistant coach at Tennessee. Lynette Woodard also played.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Maya has been effective at slowing down Elena. And Tina can play Griner.

The non-UConn All-Star team would match up with the UConn team. But we'd have the better coach. :) And if Stewie, Kiah, and Kaleena were on the squad, I'd really like our chances.

Sue Bird starts on ANY team. Any team. She'll get her 11th Gold with Team USA this fall. And I'll be there cheering.
I beg to differ in both counts, Maya has not been effective in slowing down EDD. The only things that have been effective against EDD is Lyme Disease and a bad back. I'm a Maya fan but lets not overstate. BG has dominated Tina in every game they played except the last one which the Liberty won. This is the WNBA so Geno isn't coaching. We'd have to get a current WNBA Coach or assistant, so we don't know about coaching. I agree wholeheartedly on Sue Bird!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom