Would a 12-0 UConn make the playoff? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would a 12-0 UConn make the playoff?

Reaction Score
agreed - for the record i never said that a 12-0 uconn wouldn't be the best G5 team. I said what I said because my understanding is that the best rated G5 conference champion is the one who gets the cinderella slot in the CFP... emphasis on CONFERENCE.

We as an independent are a special case, based on that definition. would we leapfrog the consensus "best" G5 conf champion?

if i misunderstood the 12-team bracket rules, someone chime in, thx
That is the way I read it. The highest ranked G5 CONFERENCE winner gets into the 12 team CFP. That means UConn would have to be the 2nd G5 team selected for the 12 team CFP.

Reaction Score
That is the way I read it. The highest ranked G5 CONFERENCE winner gets into the 12 team CFP. That means UConn would have to be the 2nd G5 team selected for the 12 team CFP.
Correct.. the autobids are reserved for the top-5 highest ranked conference champions. (It'll never happen, but in theory there could be multiple G5 autobids, if multiple G5 teams ranked ahead of the lowest P4 champ) As it stands now, UConn would have to be one of the highest 7 ranked non-autobids to qualify... it's possible that could happen, but likely will require at least a top-10 ranking.

Reaction Score
Correct.. the autobids are reserved for the top-5 highest ranked conference champions. (It'll never happen, but in theory there could be multiple G5 autobids, if multiple G5 teams ranked ahead of the lowest P4 champ) As it stands now, UConn would have to be one of the highest 7 ranked non-autobids to qualify... it's possible that could happen, but likely will require at least a top-10 ranking.
Due to the current CFP for 2024, UConn would not have to just go 12-0 but blow out most of the teams including the 4 P4 schools.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Moot not mute. You mute your tv, spouse or dog. Changing your spouse’s mind with a logical argument is a moot point.
What if you are unable to speak?

Reaction Score
Nope. 100% nope. Even if we beat 3 top 25 teams.
The issue is UConn will be unrated at the beginning of the year. The top team they are playing is probably in the 40 range- Maryland. Given the schedule it would be impossible to end the year in the rankings in the top 10. So I would agree even if UConn team went 12-0 to make CFP would not happen. But UConn would get a very good bowl game.

Reaction Score
Our game against OU in the Fiesta Bowl was ridiculed non-stop by ESPN who made it their primary reason #1 for having a College Football playoff. I can only assume they will work equally hard (as will thw power conferences) to keep us out of any playoff scenario.
I always liked how they ignored the fact that VATech got blown out of the building in the Orange Bowl.
Same with Cincinnati in the playoff. Michigan got blown out by UGA. Never read a word about the BIG 10 not deserving a bid.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
My understanding is in the new 12 team playoff the top G5 team gets an autobid. So yes, at 12-0 we would most likely be the top G5 team. I'm sure the opponent would be the #1 overall seed, so it would be a short lived playoff experience. But we'd almost definitely be in.
Highest ranked G5 conference champion gets the auto bid. The auto bids are the 5 highest ranked conference champions with 7 at-large spots. UConn as an independent would only be eligible for the at-large berth.

Reaction Score
Highest ranked G5 conference champion gets the auto bid. The auto bids are the 5 highest ranked conference champions with 7 at-large spots. UConn as an independent would only be eligible for the at-large berth.
Ah, well in that case no, a 12-0 UConn would not make the playoff.

Reaction Score
As an Independent, It would depend on the schedule which would take some luck. Last year, UConn had the #85 Sagarin rated schedule so that would not be good enough to make the playoff even if they went 12-0. I think UConn would need to go 12-0 with a top 50 schedule. Currently, UConn is not scheduling to make the playoff (although I think the schedule strength is somewhat out UConn's control), but that could change in the future.

Reaction Score
agreed - for the record i never said that a 12-0 uconn wouldn't be the best G5 team. I said what I said because my understanding is that the best rated G5 conference champion is the one who gets the cinderella slot in the CFP... emphasis on CONFERENCE.

We as an independent are a special case, based on that definition. would we leapfrog the consensus "best" G5 conf champion?

if i misunderstood the 12-team bracket rules, someone chime in, thx
Oh yes… the whole conference champion thing… I did forget about that.

Reaction Score
the thought of UConn Football going 12-0 is the definition of mental masturbation. Right now, I just want to see a winning record. I am predicting a record of 7-5 when looking at their schedule.
Sign me up for that right now

Reaction Score
Personally, I think 12-0 WOULD get us into the playoffs. I don't think the committee would want the drama associated with leaving an undefeated team out. It has overshadowed the playoffs with questions of "what ifs" in the past and sports fans largely are usually on the side of the team that did everything they were "supposed" to do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m hearing but not listening … yup, right, hmmm…until I get “you didn’t hear anything I just said.” I say “yes, I did.” She follows with “ then what did I say” ……I fumble for key words..and then the trouble starts.
Back in the day trouble started after she said "were you listening to me" and I say "yes". Then she asked "what did I say" and I would repeat it verbatim which of course annoyed her more because she knew I heard it but really wasn't paying any attention to it.

Nowadays she avoids the kabuki theater of that, because we both know how it will go.

Reaction Score
Well ... it might depend on whom in the AAC UConn beat as well as whom they beat in the P4. As I recall the old RPI has an out of conference SoS component. Something like that.

The problem, of course, would be who in the P4 might schedule UConn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well ... it might depend on whom in the AAC UConn beat as well as whom they beat in the P4. As I recall the old RPI has an out of conference SoS component. Something like that.

The problem, of course, would be who in the P4 might schedule UConn.
This is currently on the docket:

2024:
  • (a) Maryland
  • (a) Duke
  • (h) Wake Forest
  • (a) Syracuse
2025:
  • (a) Syracuse
  • (a) Ohio St
  • (h) Duke
2026:
  • (h) Maryland
  • (a) North Carolina
  • (h) Indiana
  • (h) Syracuse
  • (a) Duke
2027:
  • (h) Ole Miss
  • (h) North Carolina
  • (a) Pitt
  • (h) Syracuse
2028:
  • (a) Wake Forest
  • (h) Pitt
  • (a) Ole Miss
2029:
  • (h) Duke
  • (a) Purdue
2030:

(a) Duke

While we may have problems to overcome, scheduling P-5 opponents isn’t near the top of the list.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
depends, could we? yeah, likely? (obviously not)

because we are an independent and not a G5 there's no guaranteed auto bid

what will have to happen is:

Big 12 and ACC school can't have an extra bid, one of our G5 opponents has to be in the running for an auto bid (UAB for example)
Maryland, Wake, Duke, or Syracuse have to end up top 15 (likeliest is Syracuse with a weaker schedule, we'd like Maryland)
and we have to win comfortably enough in most G5 matchups

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom