Worth making a serious run at Addazio? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worth making a serious run at Addazio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO there are lots of better prospects out there than Addazio. Contrary to some, I believe that with our checkbook and our potential we are very much an attractive landing spot. We will be getting several big time high profile names looking to land this job. WM will have an interesting decision to make. As for Addazio, I'd rather revive our BC rivalry and beat him up on the field than root for him on our sideline.

Reaction Score
Going over some of the lists people have been posting (I like Dooley's the best, with addition of Dan Mullen).

I'd take Addazio but stealing him from BC after a year would probably incinerate forever the fragile relationship between UConn and our wonderful neighbors up in the Heights. Getting BC back on the football schedule (and play at Fenway or Gillette) should be a priority for Susan, Warde and our governor the BC grad.

Is Adazzio good enough to trade for not ever playing BC in football in our lifetime?

BTW I hope Ollie beats the sorry hoop Eagles by 50-plus next Thursday at the Garden.

Wait! Let's clear that with the CT High School Coaches.

Reaction Score
The big checkbook thing is an overstatement and a half. I realize Burton was very unhappy last go around but even with his involvement, are we seriously saying that when everything important (Power 5 membership) was on the line the checkbook was PP small and now that the big ship sailed we're all of a sudden going to be spending SEC money?

I seriously doubt it.

Reaction Score
Going over some of the lists people have been posting (I like Dooley's the best, with addition of Dan Mullen).

I'd take Addazio but stealing him from BC after a year would probably incinerate forever the fragile relationship between UConn and our wonderful neighbors up in the Heights. Getting BC back on the football schedule (and play at Fenway or Gillette) should be a priority for Susan, Warde and our governor the BC grad.

Is Adazzio good enough to trade for not ever playing BC in football in our lifetime?

BTW I hope Ollie beats the sorry hoop Eagles by 50-plus next Thursday at the Garden.

I cannot wait until Danielle is gone in two years, that way we can say there is one less thing linking UCONN to BC.

Reaction Score
If you really feel that it would only be a matter of money and you could easily poach the Daz ........then ask yourself ...why did Don Brown head North?.......that went down well before the P.P. firing..... just your thoughts please without going off on a wild I hate B.C. tirade....and before you respond with a knee jerk reaction it is in no way a condemnation of U Conn, the respect is there.

Reaction Score
I would prefer his DC...Don Brown. It would make much more sense for him to bite and come back as the HC. He has a good record as one...
That and Addazio already short skirted one school, I doubt he would do it again for a lesser conference.

Reaction Score
Guys. There is zero chance Addazio would consider us. He coaches a team in a p5 conference. There is zero incentive to leave that job for the UCONN job.

Believe, me, if he somehow became available, he would be in my top 2 or 3 candidates. But it isn't happening.

Just makes me wonder what could have been if FHCRE announced he was leaving just a couple of weeks earlier. Addazio would never have taken the Temple job.
Uconn is BIG bound. Addazio will gladly come to uconn.

Reaction Score
The big checkbook thing is an overstatement and a half. I realize Burton was very unhappy last go around but even with his involvement, are we seriously saying that when everything important (Power 5 membership) was on the line the checkbook was PP small and now that the big ship sailed we're all of a sudden going to be spending SEC money?

I seriously doubt it.
For the record, pp wasnt cheap.
There were reasons for choosing him, value not being one of them.
Cost per win is even worse. Dont think saban gets that much.

Reaction Score
If you really feel that it would only be a matter of money and you could easily poach the Daz ........then ask yourself ...why did Don Brown head North?.......that went down well before the P.P. firing..... just your thoughts please without going off on a wild I hate B.C. tirade....and before you respond with a knee jerk reaction it is in no way a condemnation of U Conn, the respect is there.

Don Brown needed to leave. He knew the PP regime was a sinking ship. I honestly think anyone on our staff would have been wise to leave. Don Brown performed well and took the opportunity to bolt to a much better situation.

If we had a successful head coach in place, I don't think he would have left. He is looking to wrap up his career in New England and BC affords him that opportunity. If he passed, he'd be unemployed in a few weeks.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Don't want Addazio and don't want Brown. We can do better.
I wish I could like this a few hundred times. If we can't do better than the above we should seriously consider Waylon's advice.

Reaction Score
No stone should be unturned, however Adazzio turned Boyle away once already and that would give me pause. I want someone who can coach Boyle up, not encourage him to leave.
I don't particularly want Addazio, he's not in my top 3-4 anyway, but I certainly wouldn't discount him because of Boyle! That would be beyond absurd. To not consider any coach because of a freshman who has shown a bit of talent but that's all would be incredibly short sighted. Might as well hire a guy because the Connecticut High School coaches want him.

Reaction Score
I wish I could like this a few hundred times. If we can't do better than the above we should seriously consider Waylon's advice.
You need to start reading between the lines and see who is being pushed in every little way in the papers. In today's Courant, nice references to Moorehead and Ambrose and their records this year. Who do you think Uconn will get? And why do you think Uconn will pay $2mm for a head coach?

Reaction Score
You need to start reading between the lines and see who is being pushed in every little way in the papers. In today's Courant, nice references to Moorehead and Ambrose and their records this year. Who do you think Uconn will get? And why do you think Uconn will pay $2mm for a head coach?

I d on't think I would be happy with Abrassive Ambrose, not too much thought about Morehead.

Reaction Score

I'd say go for it. I don't think it will damage the BC-UCONN relationship any further than it has been damaged already.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if our next head coach ends up being someone who worked here in the past.

My gut feeling is that the guy WM ends up bringing in will either be a coordinator at a big program (Narduzzi and Hermann are the names being thrown around by pundits and fans, there are likely a few more in this category who have not yet been mentioned) or a current head coach at a MAC level program (Lembo and Campbell have been mentioned, again by fans and pundits and again, there are names that have not yet been mentioned who fall into this category). We can get one of the above for what we were planning on spending on P for 2014 (a little less for one of the younger names but regardless, it will be anywhere from around $1.5mm to just shy of $2.0 mm).

I did hear recently from someone pretty well connected that he believes (more of a gut feeling on his part than anything else) that Warde wants to bring in a name and make a splash (someone like Mullen) as this needs to be fixed immediately and the big splash is the best way to ensure that. If we do go that route we will be looking at $2.25mm - $2.5mm as starting salary.

I do believe that we will pay well for our next head coach. SH & WM know how important this is, how important it is to get this hire right and that we cannot try to pull this off on the cheap.

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if our next head coach ends up being someone who worked here in the past.

My gut feeling is that the guy WM ends up bringing in will either be a coordinator at a big program (Narduzzi and Hermann are the names being thrown around by pundits and fans, there are likely a few more in this category who have not yet been mentioned) or a current head coach at a MAC level program (Lembo and Campbell have been mentioned, again by fans and pundits and again, there are names that have not yet been mentioned who fall into this category). We can get one of the above for what we were planning on spending on P for 2014 (a little less for one of the younger names but regardless, it will be anywhere from around $1.5mm to just shy of $2.0 mm).

I did hear recently from someone pretty well connected that he believes (more of a gut feeling on his part than anything else) that Warde wants to bring in a name and make a splash (someone like Mullen) as this needs to be fixed immediately and the big splash is the best way to ensure that. If we do go that route we will be looking at $2.25mm - $2.5mm as starting salary.

I do believe that we will pay well for our next head coach. SH & WM know how important this is, how important it is to get this hire right and that we cannot try to pull this off on the cheap.

My only concern with a big $$ hire is how much is left over for assistant coaches. We have all seen that an OC or a DC can elevate or sink (GDL) a program.

Reaction Score
Guys. There is zero chance Addazio would consider us. He coaches a team in a p5 conference. There is zero incentive to leave that job for the UCONN job.

Believe, me, if he somehow became available, he would be in my top 2 or 3 candidates. But it isn't happening.

Just makes me wonder what could have been if FHCRE announced he was leaving just a couple of weeks earlier. Addazio would never have taken the Temple job.

Just think of what Addazio would have done if he replaced FHCRE -- I think UConn would be in the ACC or B1G now instead of the FBS version of the FCS.

Reaction Score

$2.5 Million?? We need to pay at least $3.5 a year, so he doesn't leave if a P5 job opens up!! (yes, no matter what we'll be in the AAC for a while, IMHO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom