Worst strategy in basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worst strategy in basketball

Reaction Score
Oldude, you are right, Saniya did see a lane to the basket, a lane the size of Delaware. Morgan made the second biggest play of the game to disrupt Saniya's drive.

Reaction Score
I don’t know the answer to that. But I’ll take the lead with a chance to get a stop on defense for the win any day over playing for a last second shot to win the game.
Not me, oldude. I would have accepted a somewhat lower chance of us scoring on that last play, in exchange for ensuring that my opponent did not receive the ball with enough time to win the game by score themselves.

Reaction Score
I also wonder when a team down by 15 with 29 seconds left plays for final shot when they need to score frequently to get back in the game. Score quickly, foul, and try to get another score. Try to win.

Reaction Score
I don’t know the answer to that. But I’ll take the lead with a chance to get a stop on defense for the win any day over playing for a last second shot to win the game.

There is not a single coach in the country that doesn't play for the last shot in that situation! The ABSOLUTE WORST that can come of playing for the last shot, is missing and going to overtime. The ABSOLUTE WORST that can come of playing it how Chong did, is exactly what happened.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is not a single coach in the country that doesn't play for the last shot in that situation! The ABSOLUTE WORST that can come of playing for the last shot, is missing and going to overtime. The ABSOLUTE WORST that can come of playing it how Chong did, is exactly what happened.
You completely misinterpreted my point made some 6 weeks ago about a game played over 2 years ago. It was simply that I would much rather have to make a stop with a lead to win the game then attempt to score to win the game, and just about every college coach I can think of would agree.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Coaches have gotten so worried about not letting their opponent get a shot at the end of the half that they are willing to completely waste their own last possession. Drives me nuts. Self defeating.
You speak wisdom.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm all for hold for the last possession, but you still need to run offense and get a good look. All too often that does not happen. Dangerfield in particular usually takes too long to commence the final play, often waiting until there nine or even fewer seconds left on the clock. By then, the opposition knows she's going one on one to try to score, and because there's no element of surprise, have a good chance at stopping her.
You, too, speak wisdom.

Reaction Score
This post drives me crazy.... holding for the last shot is absolutely the right thing to do.... It cost UConn against Miss St, and it cost Baylor tonight, when Jackson scored too early and Arike hit a 3 at the end of the half.... if you don't score, so be it.. but don't give the other team time to score. If you do score, it's a bonus.... UConn has been horrible at this over the years, shooting too early way too often.... I saw this so many times two years ago, and kept thinking that I hope this doesn't hurt them when it counts... but it did..
I think if it's the end of the fourth quarter, and the game might be lost with that extra possession, fine. I just think it makes much more sense at the end of quarters one, two, or three to get a good shot and play good defense at the other end.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think if it's the end of the fourth quarter, and the game might be lost with that extra possession, fine. I just don't think it makes much sense at the end of quarters one, two, or three to get a good shot and play good defense at the other end.

You can get away with it easier in other quarters but the 4th has the worst rule in all of sports with the advance the ball after a timeout rule. That’s why you need to wait until the very end

Reaction Score
The play (..or non-play) that drives me nuts...not fouling a player when that team is down by three points in the last few seconds of the game.

Reaction Score
This post drives me crazy.... holding for the last shot is absolutely the right thing to do.... It cost UConn against Miss St, and it cost Baylor tonight, when Jackson scored too early and Arike hit a 3 at the end of the half.... if you don't score, so be it.. but don't give the other team time to score. If you do score, it's a bonus.... UConn has been horrible at this over the years, shooting too early way too often.... I saw this so many times two years ago, and kept thinking that I hope this doesn't hurt them when it counts... but it did..
It all depends on the score and who you are playing. Sometimes it's a great move to wait sometimes it isn't. This Crap that Ms St was Geno's loss, if truth be told all losses are on the coach; at least by fans. Geno is human and DOES make mistakes but to put the Ms St loss on Geno. ???
The combination of improbables happened at the end of the Ms St game. That game was lost by not being won in regulation.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Worst shot in basketball: The jump shot with one foot on the arc. Does anyone really fail to understand why the mid-range shot is no longer the staple of the game? The risk/reward offered by the three makes the mid-range not worthy of the risk.

Reaction Score
Beg to differ. Pheesa & Gabby set a double screen at the foul line for Saniya. She came off the screen and for a split second saw an open lane to the basket.

Morgan William did not try to fight over the screen, but used her quickness to dart under the screen and meet Saniya as she drove to the basket. Some folks think Saniya was fouled by William. IMO it was a good no call.

In any event, it was a well designed play that was foiled by Morgan William’s exceptional quickness. In the words of Jeff Walz, “__it happens.”
Unless the game or play can be replayed---?????. Second guessing is what we on the BY do best. The shot by Williams was improbably, but predictable. Making it was improbable only a special player with nerves of steel could do it and did. The game was NOT lost then only by score. Lots of missed chances and lots of good defense by Ms. Many shots Phee or others normally made were not made.
In drawing up plays a coach has to know his players and how they react under extreme pressure. That's one reason Geno rarely uses Frosh in tight situations, Danger was reluctantly on the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom