Worst line of the day from Dawn S. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worst line of the day from Dawn S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
South Carolina has everything that can definitely beat UConn in the next few years. If Dawn keeps up this series she can be like ND . What they need is a few games with UConn to get their confidence up and familiarity. Dawn Staley is a bear and a fighter. Personally I would love to see South Carolina replace Tennessee as the SEC head honcho. I have enormous respect for Dawn and USC. I think that Dawn Staley is a class act!

Reaction Score
We all understand Geno's sarcastic nature, but I thought his response to A'ja Wilson's question at the USA Senior Women's Basketball press conference the morning of the big game was inappropriate. Though the many players in attendance were not supposed to ask questions, Wilson did, politely asking what it would take for a player (her) to make Team USA. Geno prefaced his answer with a "not a smart-ass kid ..." (who asks questions.) If you are not part of the UConn universe, and I wish Wilson were, a young kid who didn't know better could be really hurt by such a remark from an icon. WE know it was nothing more than Geno being Geno, but it wasn't nice in front of all the cameras, her teammates and coach. Geno's kids know Geno and they would get it. Don't think A'ja did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Carolina has everything that can definitely beat UConn in the next few years.

Nope! Players come and players go,
But they will NEVER have the GENO

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We all understand Geno's sarcastic nature, but I thought his response to A'ja Wilson's question at the USA Senior Women's Basketball press conference the morning of the big game was inappropriate. Though the many players in attendance were not supposed to ask questions, Wilson did, politely asking what it would take for a player (her) to make Team USA. Geno prefaced his answer with a "not a smart-ass kid ..." (who asks questions.) If you are not part of the UConn universe, and I wish Wilson were, a young kid who didn't know better could be really hurt by such a remark from an icon. WE know it was nothing more than Geno being Geno, but it wasn't nice in front of all the cameras, her teammates and coach. Geno's kids know Geno and they would get it. Don't think A'ja did.
I'm sure there was a backstory. If she was so interested in Geno's opinion, she could have played for him. There's more here than you know.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I think SC "can" beat UConn. I don't think that they will, at least this year, but they certainly can.
Absolutely...if UCONN duplicated the Stanford performance (not likely, as many players has significantly improved) or if God forbid we suffered injuries.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno recruited A'ja Wilson hard and had a home visit with her. In fact, the last two schools on her list were UConn and South Carolina. She's spoken with him before many times, visited practices at UConn, and had him in her home. I bet she knows all about Sarcastic Geno. He wouldn't rib her that much if he weren't confident she'd understand where he was coming from.

That reminds me of Geno's showing Angel McCoughtry his championship ring after UConn beat Louisville in the championship game. John A had a blog entry about it. He felt comfortable pulling the stunt because he and Angel have a relationship.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno recruited A'ja Wilson hard and had a home visit with her. In fact, the last two schools on her list were UConn and South Carolina. She's spoken with him before many times, visited practices at UConn, and had him in her home. I bet she knows all about Sarcastic Geno. He wouldn't rib her that much if he weren't confident she'd understand where he was coming from.

That reminds me of Geno's showing Angel McCoughtry his championship ring after UConn beat Louisville in the championship game. John A had a blog entry about it. He felt comfortable pulling the stunt because he and Angel have a relationship.
Absolutely! And I don't think A'ja would have "grabbed the microphone" if she thought of him as a celebrity/stranger. She was tweaking him, and he replied in kind.

It's too bad she didn't come to UConn. She and Geno seem to have compatible personalities.

Regarding Angel, did everyone catch his recent retort to her? On Tina Charles's congratulatory video about Geno's 900th win, Angel was sitting next to Tina and she said something about how he would have reached that milestone faster if he had recruited her. Geno commented on it and said that if he had recruited her, "one of us would be in jail by now and it would probably be me."

Although that was also intended non-seriously, I do not think that Angel's personality would have been compatible with Geno's. She would have had a difficult time at UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. Geno prefaced his answer with a "not a smart-ass kid ..." (who asks questions.)

Listen to the presser again. He actually said, albeit tongue in cheek, that he would want a smart ass kid who asked questions when she wasn't supposed to. It was a gentle rebuke that he followed up with a serious answer. Yeah, I would have preferred, given that he was representing USA basketball, if he had said smart aleck kid, but I didn't mind it.

Reaction Score
Listen to the presser again. He actually said, albeit tongue in cheek, that he would want a smart ass kid who asked questions when she wasn't supposed to. It was a gentle rebuke that he followed up with a serious answer. Yeah, I would have preferred, given that he was representing USA basketball, if he had said smart aleck kid, but I didn't mind it.

I listened again. And again he said he would NOT want a smart ass kid...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What's she supposed to say? "We lost because we didn't play hard enough?"

That used to be Pat Summitt's standard quote after a loss.

Also a staple of McCallie's repertoire.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Because by definition it means her team is left without hope for a different outcome in the future.

I don't know. From some of the SC fan comments I've seen, if they were to play on a neutral court with "fair" officiating SC would show those Huskies a thing or two.

Reaction Score
I don't know. From some of the SC fan comments I've seen, if they were to play on a neutral court with "fair" officiating SC would show those Huskies a thing or two.

I'm sure somewhere down the line they'll get their chance.

Reaction Score

If you see the entire video response, Geno changed his attitude after the "smart ass" comment and spoke directly, seriously, to A'ja about what his expectations were ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom