Worst foul call on a UConn player? | The Boneyard

Worst foul call on a UConn player?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Good to hear from you (I used to be mapper). During the 2002 perfect season our closest game was against Virginia Tech. Towards the end a VT player breaks away in transition for a lay up. Taurasi races and blocks her shot cleanly, as video replay shows without any doubt. No incidental contact between any parts of the body, just Taurasi's outstretched hand touching only ball soon after it leaves the player's hand. Taurasi is called for an intentional foul (not merely a foul, the ref concluded without evidence that Taurasi's rush to the player to stop the shot mush have involved deliberate physical contact to succeed), making a close game tighter in the final couple of minutes. Fortunately, we still won.

Incidentally, Taurasi is in the top twenty all time for blocked shots in the WNBA.

On edit: Crazy Cam, er, CammCrz, the expert on all things Taurasi, pointed out to me that Taurasi is no longer in the top twenty for blocks. This past year she was passed by two players.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Good to hear from you (I used to be mapper). During the 2002 perfect season our closest game was against Virginia Tech. Towards the end a VT player breaks away in transition for a lay up. Taurasi races and blocks her shot cleanly, as video replay shows without any doubt. No incidental contact between any parts of the body, just Taurasi's outstretched hand touching only ball soon after it leaves the player's hand. Taurasi is called for an intentional foul (not merely a foul, the ref concluded without evidence that Taurasi's rush to the player to stop the shot mush have involved deliberate physical contact to succeed), making a close game tighter in the final couple of minutes. Fortunately, we still won.

Incidentally, Taurasi is in the top twenty all time for blocked shots in the WNBA.
I only have two words for you - June Courteau

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yes,, Digger, I was at that game. The VT player went for a right-handed layup from the left side of the basket. Diana timed her leap perfectly, reached with her right hand over the arms of the VT player and got nothing but ball. Not even close to a foul, much less a flagrant. That is why it has gone down in Husky history as the Fantastic Phantom Flagrant Foul. I thought I would remember the refs name, but I can't seem to dredge it up. I am sure someone will. (on edit; thanks, Biffster!)

The worst no-call was in Hartford against Tennessee, when a Husky (Kanitra, mebbe?) was driving for a layup in the final seconds and got majorly mugged. We lost by 1, if I recall correctly. (2005 I think, but not sure).

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

On edit: Crazy Cam, er, CammCrz, the expert on all things Taurasi, pointed out to me that Taurasi is no longer in the top twenty for blocks. This past year she was passed by two players.
I just watched that game and saw the play you described. It was really, really, really bad.

Reaction Score
Speaking of bad calls how much movement is allowed on a baseline spot inbounds? A referee tried to explain to me yesterday it was 3 or 4 steps ???

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Speaking of bad calls how much movement is allowed on a baseline spot inbounds? A referee tried to explain to me yesterday it was 3 or 4 steps ???
I think the rule clause that addresses your question is here, specifically article 8
(sorry for thew artifacts that came over when I copied the PDF file.)

72 RULE 7 / OUT OF BOUNDS AND THE THROW-IN

1� A ball that is not in contact with a player or the playing court retains the same status as when it was last in contact with a player or the playing court�
This does not apply to a try in flight�
b� A throw-in to the offended team at a designated spot nearest to where the ball was located when the stoppage occurred for an excessive timeout�
c� A free throw or a throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or when a team is entitled to such with no reset of the shot clock�
d� An alternating-possession throw-in at a designated spot with a reset of the shot clock when the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of period/extra period is involved� When there is no team control due to a try in flight and the try is unsuccessful, the ball is awarded to the team entitled to the alternating-possession arrow at a spot nearest to where the try was unsuccessful� (Exception: Rule 2-11.6.a.8)Section 6.

Throw-in — Requirements

Art. 1. A throw-in is the method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds�
Art. 2. A thrower-in is the player attempting the throw-in�
Art. 3. The throw-in shall start and the throw-in team shall have team control when the ball is at the disposal of a player entitled to the throw-in�
Art. 4. A throw-in and the throw-in count shall begin when the ball is at the disposal of the player entitled to the throw-in�
Art. 5. A throw-in shall end when a passed ball legally touches an inbounds player or when a player, who is located on the playing court, touches and causes the ball to be out of bounds, or when the throw-in team commits a throw-in violation�
Art. 6. The thrower-in shall release the ball not more than five seconds after the throw-in count begins� The pass shall go directly into the playing court, except as provided in Rule 7-4�6�b�
Art. 7. The throw-in count shall end when the ball is released by the thrower-in so that the ball goes directly onto the playing court�

Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:

a� The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in Rules 4-10�1�a through �c�
b� The designated spot shall be 3 feet wide with no depth limitation�
c� The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released� Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in�
d� The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until she has released the ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line�

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Can you guys dig up videos of those plays/calls? I realize it's probably not out there especially if it was a long time ago, but I'd LOVE to see the clips again!!!!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Can you guys dig up videos of those plays/calls? I realize it's probably not out there especially if it was a long time ago, but I'd LOVE to see the clips again!!!!
Start watching this at 1:08:45 if it doesn't queue up at that point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2018 Final Four closing minutes of game, KLS called for offensive foul on a defender standing out of bounds.
1582857505303.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think the rule clause that addresses your question is here, specifically article 8
(sorry for thew artifacts that came over when I copied the PDF file.)

72 RULE 7 / OUT OF BOUNDS AND THE THROW-IN

1� A ball that is not in contact with a player or the playing court retains the same status as when it was last in contact with a player or the playing court�
This does not apply to a try in flight�
b� A throw-in to the offended team at a designated spot nearest to where the ball was located when the stoppage occurred for an excessive timeout�
c� A free throw or a throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or when a team is entitled to such with no reset of the shot clock�
d� An alternating-possession throw-in at a designated spot with a reset of the shot clock when the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of period/extra period is involved� When there is no team control due to a try in flight and the try is unsuccessful, the ball is awarded to the team entitled to the alternating-possession arrow at a spot nearest to where the try was unsuccessful� (Exception: Rule 2-11.6.a.8)Section 6.

Throw-in — Requirements

Art. 1. A throw-in is the method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds�
Art. 2. A thrower-in is the player attempting the throw-in�
Art. 3. The throw-in shall start and the throw-in team shall have team control when the ball is at the disposal of a player entitled to the throw-in�
Art. 4. A throw-in and the throw-in count shall begin when the ball is at the disposal of the player entitled to the throw-in�
Art. 5. A throw-in shall end when a passed ball legally touches an inbounds player or when a player, who is located on the playing court, touches and causes the ball to be out of bounds, or when the throw-in team commits a throw-in violation�
Art. 6. The thrower-in shall release the ball not more than five seconds after the throw-in count begins� The pass shall go directly into the playing court, except as provided in Rule 7-4�6�b�
Art. 7. The throw-in count shall end when the ball is released by the thrower-in so that the ball goes directly onto the playing court�

Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:

a� The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in Rules 4-10�1�a through �c�
b� The designated spot shall be 3 feet wide with no depth limitation�
c� The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released� Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in�
d� The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until she has released the ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line�

Thank you! If I understand this the inbounder has 3 feet, not a pivot as if they had discontinued their dribble. The girl definitely went more than 3 feet which was a violation.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Go to "UConn Husky Games : Women's Basketball Replays". You can see every game all the way back to the 1990's. The complete games.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it was 2016 season. Don't remember the game. An opponent has the ball on a TO and is going down court alone ahead of Jefferson by 2-3 steps as they cross half-court. Jefferson catches up and passes the much taller player as they cross the foul line. The player goes for a left-side layup while Jefferson leaps , does a 180 in mid air, and as the player lifts the ball above her head Jefferson, still in the air, blocks the ball back into the player's face. The ref, trailing the play down the left sideline and 20+ feet away with only a view of the back of the ball handler calls Jefferson for a foul despite there clearly being no contact except for Jefferson's hand on the ball. UConn won the game but what was to me the best defensive play I ever saw was thrown into the trashcan instead of becoming a classic video clip.

Reaction Score
Schumacher's 10th block in the 2000 title game. Was pretty clearly all ball.

I've actually talked to Kelly about this on twitter. Told her I was still pissed off about it....and this was in 2019. She wrote me back, shocked that I was still mad, and told me that Sally Bell actually apologized to her later that summer. HAAAA

Reaction Score
Given all the black marks that the NCAA has accumulated, don't think anyone will notice one more.:confused:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Given all the black marks that the NCAA has accumulated, don't think anyone will notice one more.:confused:
except that was the FF and there were many egregious calls. Including the non call that gave ND the championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom