Worst fears realized.... | The Boneyard

Worst fears realized....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
.....we can't run and the defense is a shell of what it was the last two seasons. So now, we can't control the ball at all because defenses apply effectively apply pressure all the time. That puts a young and much less talented defense on the field as much, if not more, than last season.

What's truly frightening, is that the OL is senior laden and experienced. Usually, offenses with those characteristics have a fair amount of success. Couple that with the fact that we probably have in Whitmer as good a QB as we've had since Dan O. and in Phillips and Davis two NFL caliber receivers, and you can only conclude that the development of the OL has been stunted.

We're probably looking at a 1 or 2 win season and one of the goals for this season will need to be to try to hold the talent that's here and the recruiting class together. Frankly, at this point I'm beginning to wonder if this staff can evaluate and develop talent and I'm concerned that these recruiting classes may not have much in them. We're in a rough spot.

Reaction Score
Another thing that has me worried is future recruiting. When we were in the Big East we could always sell we are in a BCS conference to the Florida, Pennsylvania, and other recruits who got passed over by the bigger programs. We will be unable to do that in this new conference. Teams like UCF, SMU, and Houston will be able to stock up on local talent. No need for those kids to come up north anymore.

Reaction Score
Oh.......the hallmark of UCONN football under Edsall was physical football. I can remember very few games....very few....where the kids didn't come ready to bang. Our OLs were never all that talented, but they were relentless in finishing plays and wearing defenses down. Defensively the group almost always played with emotion and sent a message when the opportunity presented itself.

That's all gone..........

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What worries me is coaching options. When Randy left we were a vaguely attractive job. Now we are a steaming pile of pooh. That means we will have much less experienced candidates to choose from.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What worries me is coaching options. When Randy left we were a vaguely attractive job. Now we are a steaming pile of pooh. That means we will have much less experienced candidates to choose from.
I think/hope you are underestimating the allure of a state university to coaches. We should still be more attractive than a MAC school, and most MWC schools, since if someone can turn the program around they still have a shot at a contract bowl (we used to have BCS now we have to compete with other AAC schools and MWC schools for that slot). Our recruiting area makes it more of a challenge. But I would have to think there are good coordinators out there who are eager to take a HC job at UConn and show what they can do, we just won't have our pick of the most prominent/expensive SEC guys (which would still be true if PP hadn't turned the program into a steaming pile).

Reaction Score

Totally disagree. There will be lots of options. Think about this. Brian Kelly was at Grand Valley St and Central Michigan before Cinci. Chip Kelly was an assistant at UNH. Charlie Strong was a career assistant hoping for an opportunity. Chip Jones was at Central Michigan. Greg Schiano was an assistant. Etc, etc. UConn pays well to find a good coach. Yes, we are not hiring Nick Saban, but UConn doesn't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom