Worst crowd ever for a UCONN win? | The Boneyard

Worst crowd ever for a UCONN win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just couldn't shake it. I know it's winter break for the students, but this Gampel crowd may be the worst crowd ever to see a much needed Husky win. Just terrible! On a lighter note, great win and great play by DD.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That was Boat with the quick hannds

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just couldn't shake it. I know it's winter break for the students, but this Gampel crowd may be the worst crowd ever to see a much needed Husky win. Just terrible! On a lighter note, great win and great play by DD.
Disagree. Ive been at the arena for more lethargic winning crowds. This is the definition of hyperbole.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, a win is a win. But I can't agree that this was a "great win." We were up by 8 with 1:19 left in the game and then missed FTs, no D and a TO by one of our seniors left us hanging on for dear life. Does not inspire confidence going forward.

Reaction Score
Great win as in we needed it. That's what I was trying to say. I just wanted to see the urgency in the crowd. What would 3 losses in a row have done to the confidence in this team. And I was talking about the play of Daniels all game not one particular play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The crowd was dead, but I must say I was surprised by the amount of people that came. It was almost full besides the student section.

Reaction Score
They should have given the student seats to non-student fans. Would have looked good filled up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
People went to the game. Outside of the student section and a few corporate no shows good attendance. It was a difficult game to get excited about. The run by UConn early in the second half was about the most excitement in the game and the crowd started to get into it with the three point lead until Harvard made the three to tie it.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Crowd didn't look great on TV. In crunch time when it was a two possession game everyone was sitting like there was 10 min left. Guessing some people didn't realize Harvard is a pretty good team this year. Would have been better with a full student section.

Reaction Score
The crowd doesn't get a chance to get into the game. It is always of matter of waiting for the hammer to drop and something bad to happen. Prolonged periods when UConn players seem to lose focus also takes the fans out of the game. It doesn't appear that the players or the coaches for that matter have 100% intensity. Brief periods of outstanding play followed by prolonged periods of lackluster play. A missed rebound here, a missed free throw there, a bobble by a big, takes the crowd out of the game.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
The crowd doesn't get a chance to get into the game. It is always of matter of waiting for the hammer to drop and something bad to happen. Prolonged periods when UConn players seem to lose focus also takes the fans out of the game. It doesn't appear that the players or the coaches for that matter have 100% intensity. Brief periods of outstanding play followed by prolonged periods of lackluster play. A missed rebound here, a missed free throw there, a bobble by a big, takes the crowd out of the game.

This is one of those Chicken or the Egg things. Was it the crowds fault the team wasn't up for it or the teams fault the crowd wasn't into it?

Reaction Score
Low scoring with lots of turnovers by both teams, hard to get the energy going with the inconsistent play. Since we expect to win this one and had control at the end even though we almost gave it away, the crowd isn't going to be as excited as beating a major powerhouse. It's just human nature.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Bull! I've been at much worse games where we were losing to lesser opponents and the crowd rose up to energize the team. Some people need to learn the difference between a real fan and an entitled, spoiled person who always feel the Team owes them something.

Reaction Score
Its the calm before the storm. There is no doubt in my mind the place will be rocking next Saturday when the defending national champions come into Gampel.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Did you catch any of the women's game yesterday? I turned it on and saw the crowd and before I realized it was UCONN I thought it was a high school game on public access but high school games have bigger crowds than that.

Reaction Score
The crowd was pretty bad - I thought the crowd at the Stanford game was better. Personally, I've never bought the "it was a tough game to get excited about..." excuse. I'm also not buying the "it was only Harvard" cop out. Harvard is a borderline top 25 team - if Louisville and Florida are going to be our bar for a good game day atmosphere, then we're not going to have much of a home court advantage the other 90% of the time.

I'm sure the students being on break had something to do with it. There were also others that arrived late due to road work and/or work. Next Saturday will be electric, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom