Worst Coach in a movie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worst Coach in a movie

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pops from the Natural

Wouldn't even give the new player a chance for 2 weeks. If Pops had even let Roy Hobbs practice earlier, the season would have never come down to a one game playoff,.

Reaction Score
Gordon Bombay

Love him; but some of the most (charmingly) ridiculous stuff I've seen in sports media happened in those movies

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The winner is obviously Lt. Col. Henry Blake as a football coach in M*A*S*H.

Spearchucker: I drew up about seven or eight plays. I figure that's about all this bunch can handle.

Blake: Oh, these are good. These are very good. Uh, what are these little arrows?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Coach Bobby Finstock....

Coach Finstock: Look Scotty, I know what you're going through. Couple years back, a kid came to me much the same way you're coming to me now, saying the same thing that you're saying. He wanted to drop off the team. His mother was a widow, all crippled up. She was scrubbing floors. She had this pin in her hip. So he wanted to drop basketball and get a job. Now these were poor people, these were hungry people with real problems. Understand what I'm saying?
Scott Howard: What happened to the kid?
Coach Finstock: I don't know. He quit. He was a third stringer, I didn't need him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pops from the Natural

Wouldn't even give the new player a chance for 2 weeks. If Pops had even let Roy Hobbs practice earlier, the season would have never come down to a one game playoff,.

Pops other issues:

1) Gives a pep talk to Bump Bailey that results in Bump killing himself.

2) Lets his skanky niece hang around the team and corrupt his players.

3) Bunts with the batter before Roy Hobbs with the season on the line. Hobbs is third, which means Pops called a bunt with his #2 hitter with one out and the best player in the league coming up to bat. What an idiot.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Coach Bobby Finstock....

Coach Finstock: Look Scotty, I know what you're going through. Couple years back, a kid came to me much the same way you're coming to me now, saying the same thing that you're saying. He wanted to drop off the team. His mother was a widow, all crippled up. She was scrubbing floors. She had this pin in her hip. So he wanted to drop basketball and get a job. Now these were poor people, these were hungry people with real problems. Understand what I'm saying?
Coach Finstock: I don't know. He quit. He was a third stringer, I didn't need him.

Winner.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Coach Bobby Finstock....

Au contrare

Coach Finstock's are words to live by:

Coach Finstock: There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How about Buttermaker? He bought his daughters contract with a training bra, then sat in his little league dugout drinking beer while she blew out her arm.
What are you talking about? He turned that team around!

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Tom Hanks in "A League of Their Own" was always drunk and was abusive to everyone except Geena Davis.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
In the movie, it was South Bend.

Look at how poorly coached they were. No shot clock and the dude dribbles up the sideline slowly into a trap over midcourt that he should have seen coming a mile away. The Hickory players are even giving away their plan with hand signals. It was like he wanted to turn the ball over. Call a TO and get organized, coach.

At least Jimmy didn't Chong it up. He was either going to win the game or go to OT.

Reaction Score
My other nominee would be the crazy coach in that movie Miracle that pulled the best goalie in the world in the Olympic semifinals after one soft goal.

Ah, but there was a reason for that!

Reaction Score
I also nominate the coach from "Air Bud 3- Golden Receiver". There's no way Bud should have been out there. No thumbs, and there has to be some sort of broken rule there.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I also nominate the coach from "Air Bud 3- Golden Receiver". There's no way Bud should have been out there. No thumbs, and there has to be some sort of broken rule there.
Perhaps... the rule of thumb??

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This really should be two categories. Coaches in a comedy, and coaches in sports dramas. Pops is still the worst coach in a drama.

Reaction Score
How about the Sensei from the Karate Kid? Sweep the leg... Out of commission... No mercy... Just a thought.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How about the Sensei from the Karate Kid? Sweep the leg... Out of commission... No mercy... Just a thought.

He was up against Mr. Miagi. You couldn't expect Sensei to beat possibly the greatest coach in movie history.

Reaction Score
Thoughts on Tony D'Amato - Any Given Sunday. I thought of this football movie because I didn't like it at first, but then I did enjoy it for what it was. Al Pacino was his typical self so I thought he was OK in this role.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It worked, but giving the ok for a wobbly-kneed old catcher like Tom Berenger to put down a bunt was pretty foolish. That team had no business being there, though.

I'm sorry, but this might be the greatest motivational tactic of our times (outside of the Pacino's Any Given Sunday speech).

Major-League-1.jpg

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Whoever was in Apollo Creeds corner when the Russian killed him. They should've thrown in the towel.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
That would be Rocky Balboa.

I thought " Duke " was Apollo's lead trainer but one of those guys should've thrown that towel. That was traumatic like when Cochise
died.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom