OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I never understood the narrative that soccer is boring. Especially pro soccer at the highest level.
There are no commercial breaks, except half time, and it's constant action for 90 min. So you get more action, and the game takes far less time than football and baseball.

Talk about wanting to watch paint dry, how about we talk about baseball. I used to love baseball, now I prefer Basketball first, soccer 2nd, and everything else after that. Baseball is 30 seconds of watching a pitcher walk around the mound adjusting his crotch, then 3 seconds of action. Rinse, repeat. And the product is so diluted with 162 games a year, rendering each individual game seemingly meaningless.

Similar deal with football in that there is minimal time of actual action and a lot of standing around and commercials. But football is still far more entertaining than baseball.

For me, and for many of my younger generation-
Soccer>Baseball, hockey, football. Too many stoppages for our attention spans in baseball and football.
Soccer is horrible... for 90 minutes I watch a ball go back and forth, back and forth... then the occasional pansie who hits the floor writhing in pain because someone bumped him. “Grow a pair” I yell at the tv half the time.
I can respect how in shape these players must be to run all that time, but I wouldn’t ever confuse the sport with being exciting. I just don’t see the fascination with soccer, I find myself doing other things to keep my attention while it’s playng on tv, then occasionally look up bc I hear the announcers start yelling. Pause, then rewind 30 seconds.

For me:
1. Football (real football)
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Hockey
5. Gymnastics (preferably womens)
6. Tennis or Soccer

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think you gotta pull for Messi as the last chance for a World Cup for a guy in the conversation as best ever. Actually I hate that conversation, so bright side if he does NOT win will be that everyone can still say Pele is the best. Anyway Argentina has an easy group but then likely tough draw needing to go thru Spain & Germany before the finals.

Having come full circle since the 30-for-30 2 Escobars I'm pulling for Columbia as sentimental favorite & recall them having a great young player at last World Cup. I would also like to see England make some noise and then crash hard as the Buffalo Bills of International Soccer.

But I don't know much about any of the teams/players - so need to watch and see who is compelling and just naturally adopt a team.
Messi doesn’t need the trophy to be the best ever. It’s a lot harder to win when your team around you and crap and so is the coach. He is the best all around player I’ve ever seen. His game has evolved more and more every year. Really hope Ronaldo doesn’t win it bc I don’t think he’s the greatest. One of the best goal scorers arguably though

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Soccer is horrible... for 90 minutes I watch a ball go back and forth, back and forth... then the occasional pansie who hits the floor writhing in pain because someone bumped him. “Grow a pair” I yell at the tv half the time.
I can respect how in shape these players must be to run all that time, but I wouldn’t ever confuse the sport with being exciting. I just don’t see the fascination with soccer, I find myself doing other things to keep my attention while it’s playng on tv, then occasionally look up bc I hear the announcers start yelling. Pause, then rewind 30 seconds.

For me:
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Hockey
6. Tennis or Soccer
“For 3 hours I watch 22 men jump on a ball but they only do 15 minutes of actually physical playing. For three hours I watch a game score of 0-0 with 2 hits and no movement.

You see the flopping in the nba as well. In soccer the person flopping can get carded. Everything looks worse with slomo too.

Reaction Score

For me:
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Hockey
6. Tennis or Soccer

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Really helped the thread.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
“For 3 hours I watch 22 men jump on a ball but they only do 15 minutes of actually physical playing. For three hours I watch a game score of 0-0 with 2 hits and no movement.

You see the flopping in the nba as well. In soccer the person flopping can get carded. Everything looks worse with slomo too.
When’s the last time a football score was 0-0, or were you referring to soccer (with 2 hits/ no movement)
Not looking for an argument but maybe you could point out what excites you about soccer, so maybe next time I could look for it.

Also I understand you could trick the refs into giving a card, but doesn’t it border the line of ridiculous sometimes? Also I heard they have instant replay now so the refs won’t be con’d into fake flops. But I may have interpreted that incorrectly

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
When’s the last time a football score was 0-0, or were you referring to soccer (with 2 hits/ no movement)
Not looking for an argument but maybe you could point out what excites you about soccer, so maybe next time I could look for it.

Also I understand you could trick the refs into giving a card, but doesn’t it border the line of ridiculous sometimes? Also I heard they have instant replay now so the refs won’t be con’d into fake flops. But I may have interpreted that incorrectly
The way the game flows, the creativity, the flair, the fans, the skill and technique it takes, etc. it’s not always about scoring as fast as you can. Possession style football ( Barca, Italy, Spain, Germany) is what I prefer compared to the quick longball counter attack you see in the EPL and other countries a lot.

I think the English and American style soccer is sloppy. I enjoy watching individual creativity. In the NBA a one on one happens all the time and the guy just looks for contact at the rim. A one on one in soccer you’re looking to take your defender on and attack the goal or set your teammate up. Brazilian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Messi imo are the greats if you want to youtube them

I do hate the flopping when there’s no contact. It’s annoying and sad. The replay as far as I know is for goals. Maybe there going to put it into fouls as well but I don’t know if that will slow he game down as we enjoy a constant flow

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
The way the game flows, the creativity, the flair, the fans, the skill and technique it takes, etc. it’s not always about scoring as fast as you can. Possession style football ( Barca, Italy, Spain, Germany) is what I prefer compared to the quick longball counter attack you see in the EPL and other countries a lot.

I think the English and American style soccer is sloppy. I enjoy watching individual creativity. In the NBA a one on one happens all the time and the guy just looks for contact at the rim. A one on one in soccer you’re looking to take your defender on and attack the goal or set your teammate up. Brazilian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Messi imo are the greats if you want to youtube them

I do hate the flopping when there’s no contact. It’s annoying and sad. The replay as far as I know is for goals. Maybe there going to put it into fouls as well but I don’t know if that will slow he game down as we enjoy a constant flow
Fair enough, I’ll make sure to watch those teams this summer, and try to key on the creativity aspect. My downfall may be Ive only watched USA every four years.... I mean there has to be a reason that outside of the States it’s the most popular sport.
As far as the replay thing , I was watching something on FS1 and they said replay is for cards too... but prob not for spot fouls.

Reaction Score
Ug. People who want to rag on soccer - just go away.
I never watch soccer - except the world cup. Unfortunate that the U.S. is not in it, but maybe it will end up being for the best, in that it may light some fires under some butts.

I really enjoy watching world cup soccer. For a non-soccer playing U.S. football/basketball/baseball sports fan, soccer is not an easy sell. But that's okay. Lot of people think chess and reading are boring. What can you say?

Soccer is an ebb and flow game. There's a depth to it that does not exist in any other sport. It's like two giant sailed wooden ships trying to maneuver for the perfect broad side.

Every sport can improve. NFL needs to cut back on replay time and figure out a catch rule. NBA needs better ref rules and reffing, particularly after the game 1 debacle. Baseball is sloooooooooooow.
For me, soccer would be made better by penalizing dives - far too much of it. Also, the offsides rule creates too much controversy. Every 3rd or 4th goal the goalie and the defenders claim there was offsides, running around with their hands up, caused by the defenders constantly trying to game the back line to put people off sides. Make it like hockey or some variation. Other than that, it's a great sport to play or watch.

I'm cheering for Ibrahimovich's team, whichever that is, if he's still playing.

By the way, the argument that taller guys can't be good at soccer is the same argument as QBs taller than 6/4 or whatever can't make it in the NFL; you have to adjust for % of population. For example, how many 6/4 guys are walking around columbia or brazil or italy? 1 in a 1,000? And of those guys, how many are siphoned off into basketball?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Fair enough, I’ll make sure to watch those teams this summer, and try to key on the creativity aspect. My downfall may be Ive only watched USA every four years.... I mean there has to be a reason that outside of the States it’s the most popular sport.
As far as the replay thing , I was watching something on FS1 and they said replay is for cards too... but prob not for spot fouls.
Yeah I’d watch as many games and teams as you can. Argentina, Brasil, France, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Columbia, to name a few. But every national team brings something different. The fans in the stands add another dimension

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I used to feel the way you do. Low level soccer, like HS soccer (and even U.S. College), can be pretty tough to watch. World Cup level or strong club teams in Europe can be great to watch. The fact that it mostly doesn't stop means the strategy is less obvious than American football, and is instead more a shifting approach as each team probes and counters the other's defense. As you gain understanding it becomes much more interesting. Watch Brazil, because they really never play a boring style. Germany also tends to be aggressive. Italy is out thankfully, because they are the masters of the 1-0 win.

That said there are some crappy aspects. Diving. The fake anguish (it saddens me to see grown men act like six year olds). Turtling on defense to protect a lead. Fake injuries to delay the game (helped cost the U.S. a World Cup berth). They can do more to clean that stuff up.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
That’s not even creative.
Ok ok didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, apologies.

I know it’s 2018 and all, but please stop thinking about my shaft, it makes me uncomfortable. I don’t “play” for your team Robbie. Your barking up the wrong tree my friend.

Reaction Score
Can't wait. South American teams have really figured out how to frustrate the flow of European style with fouls and slow play setting up a moment of brilliance.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I'm guessing you expected to be a popular opinion.
Define "popular."
As the old saying goes, in the United States, Soccer is the future of American sports and always will be.
Someone makes a unimaginative remark (Soccer is boring) and of course it's perceived as an insult to other posters heritage, family, physiology, and intelligence. Hence, we get these little tete a tete strings.
Face it, soccer is not "popular" in that a plurality (say 30%) of American sports fans could properly describe the geographic space on which the game is played. (I believe they call it a pitch) OTOH, I suspect that a substantial majority of Americans (not even sports fans but simply those who watch enough TV) could rattle off the names of 10 players in NBA, MLB, or NFL. Conversely if 1 in 10 American sports fans know the name of a current soccer player, I would be surprised.
It's not an attack nor an insightful observation that most, as in a majority of American sports fans, are uninterested in soccer. You would get the same response if something was posted about celebrity or royal wedding, it is not something American sports fans are going to interested in, and usually that will prompt a bit of snark. It is what it is, learn to get over it; and maybe appreciate that while you may be an idjit, at least you know the difference between a baseball pitch and a football pitch. (You can fulfill the need to be superior to something or someone!)

Reaction Score
Ok ok didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, apologies.

I know it’s 2018 and all, but please stop thinking about my shaft, it makes me uncomfortable. I don’t “play” for your team Robbie. Your barking up the wrong tree my friend.

Whatever, I don’t want to derail this thread any further so this is it, but entering a soccer thread to tell everyone how you hate the sport and then list your favorite sports is incredibly lame and juvenile.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Whatever, I don’t want to derail this thread any further so this is it, but entering a soccer thread to tell everyone how you hate the sport and then list your favorite sports is incredibly lame and juvenile.
Said the guy who talks about others penis’ lol

But I agree, no need to derail this thread any more than it has

#practicewhatyoupreach

Reaction Score
Said the guy who talks about others penis’ lol

But I agree, no need to derail this thread any more than it has

#practicewhatyoupreach

Fair enough, my comment was juvenile as well

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can't wait. South American teams have really figured out how to frustrate the flow of European style with fouls and slow play setting up a moment of brilliance.

And it can be pretty ugly. I'm not surprised teams are figuring out the penalty for a foul, outside the box, and especially around mid-field, is essentially nothing. Just foul a guy, it allows you defense to get set, and they don't get anything. Meanwhile a foul in the box is too heavily penalized, to the point that the referee let's half of them go.

I'd be in favor of allowing any free kick to be advanced about 20 yards, up to the box. It would improve the flow.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It is absolutely unreal how loaded France is, talent wise. Their bench and third string teams would be viable World Cup teams. It's insane. But talent doesn't always equate to victories against big teams with discipline like Germany or Spain or Brazil. It'll be interesting to see how they come together chemistry-wise, because in the past they have been underwhelmimg.

Absolutely stacked. But their manager kinda blows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom