World Championship Announcers | The Boneyard

World Championship Announcers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I much enjoyed the announcing of all of the games except the finals. The announcers actually called the game - we knew who was in the game, who came out, who fouled, and other GAME action commentary. During the finals game, we got discussion of the word "indicative". Players checked in/checked out and we didn't know it unless the camera showed it. (And yes, I give a pass on name pronunciations. There is form and there is substance - I prefer substance)
What say ye?

Reaction Score
I believe they were calling the game from the ESPN studio - not at the game. Don't even know if they were together. Today, one could be in CT and the other in DC.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree. I will also trade name pronunciation over calling a game well every day of the week. I am so tired of the ESPN style of game calling for women's games. All this "witty" banter about things that don't apply to basketball drive me crazy. They just keep harping on something like the use of the word "indicative" and make the commentary about themselves instead of the game. They need to realize it is only cute to them.

I watched a lot of the Phoenix Mercury games this past season and I loved listening to Ann Meyers-Drysdale. She was very focused on just the game and gave a lot of basketball knowledge and never go sidetracked by her attempts to be cutsey.

Reaction Score
I have really tried to be neutral, because she is one of ours, but Rebecca is becoming increasingly annoying when she is announcing games. It's as if the two of them are sitting in a Starbucks, chitchatting, instead of doing their job, which is to call the game action. She was so much better when she was reporting from the sideline. We got thoughtful insight, and informative questions. JMO...

Reaction Score
I have really tried to be neutral, because she is one of ours, but Rebecca is becoming increasingly annoying when she is announcing games. It's as if the two of them are sitting in a Starbucks, chitchatting, instead of doing their job, which is to call the game action. She was so much better when she was reporting from the sideline. We got thoughtful insight, and informative questions. JMO...
You failed the being neutral- We all do have our opinions and mine is that Rebecca adds an ex WNBA player/Uconn player's take on whay is happening and why with some inside info as well. JMO

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If the WNBA wants to grow the male audience, we need less of this chit chat, which the average male fan does not want to hear. The average "straight" ;) man does not care about what the coaching staff is wearing or their "sense of style" or their shoes, or accessories. This kind of banter detracts from the game itself and makes it sound like powder puff football.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You failed the being neutral- We all do have our opinions and mine is that Rebecca adds an ex WNBA player/Uconn player's take on whay is happening and why with some inside info as well. JMO

At least there was an attempt at being neutral, but the situation prevented it. I tried to dunk once, but the situation (my lack of physical ability) prevented it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issue is I think across all sports - baseball and football started it because there was so much time to fill between actual pitches or plays, but it spread into everything - and it gets worst the less competitive the game gets - announcers and their producers thinking they can keep people watching if they become the entertainment instead of the game. In blow outs you get lucky if they even bother mentioning the play.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I concur with the comments about excessive chit-chat, but be careful what you wish for. Remember Tim McCarver? He was constant and relentless in analyzing every pitch, catch, swing, throw and all all the nuances of baseball strategy. Tim comported himself like a robot with a microphone and a deep reservoir of baseball trivia. We don't need that.

I'll welcome more of Kara Lawson.

Reaction Score
I much enjoyed the announcing of all of the games except the finals. The announcers actually called the game - we knew who was in the game, who came out, who fouled, and other GAME action commentary. During the finals game, we got discussion of the word "indicative". Players checked in/checked out and we didn't know it unless the camera showed it. (And yes, I give a pass on name pronunciations. There is form and there is substance - I prefer substance)
What say ye?

You are spot on. Don't know who the two guys were who did all the games (on espn3) up to the final, but they were a great listen and did add a lot to the broadcast. The Final on espn2 was constantly interrupted by non-stop, annoying commercials and banter to the point where I turned off the audio in the mid-second quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom