Word is Les Miles | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Word is Les Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Miles is great, but this fan base has had its fill of coaches trying to win games 14-10. Just not a fit for us. P had impressive resume when he came here. All time leader in wins in Big East history.

You need to score points in this conference. Every team puts up points in bunches.

Don Brown and Todd Orlando I could get behind, because they've coached solid defenses on teams with explosive offenses, so it isn't about ball control and field position with those guys.
Yes, Pasqualoni had a good college resume when he came here, but at the time Hathaway hired him, Pasqualoni had not been a college head coach in 7 years and the game literally passed him by. Les Miles hasnt even been out of coaching for one season. I think hes still fresh

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bill Snyder took over a team and program that was even worse than UConn (worst record in D1 history) and had 6 top ten finishes in the 90s. Edsall isn't close to being in that class.

Yeah I was just going with he was our high point - things went south - and if he came back and had success he'd be our Snyder. He's never had the success and is still way younger.... but it's not a common occurance.

Reaction Score
Here's the sell:

"Les, you've already won a national championship. You've coached in two of the toughest conferences in the country, you've put countless guys into the NFL. Now it's time to do something different -- now it's time to save a program entirely. Build us up in your own image, leave a legacy where you're remembered forever as the guy who made UConn football able to compete with the big boys, and when you're ready to hand over the clipboard, you'll basically be choosing your successor just like Jim Calhoun did.

"We know how to treat our legends right."
Yes! Thats pretty much what I was thinking. I absolutely think Benedict should at least try and reach out to him.

Reaction Score
Yes, Pasqualoni had a good college resume when he came here, but at the time Hathaway hired him, Pasqualoni had not been a college head coach in 7 years and the game literally passed him by. Les Miles hasnt even been out of coaching for one season. I think hes still fresh
Good point, but P was coaching in the NFL, not exactly fishing for 7 years. The game may have passed Miles by while on a college sideline. Don't think he is a fit here. Can't Coach offense with 5 stats, but is going to do so with 2 stars. I have a hard time believing that.

Reaction Score
Good point, but P was coaching in the NFL, not exactly fishing for 7 years. The game may have passed Miles by while on a college sideline. Don't think he is a fit here. Can't Coach offense with 5 stats, but is going to do so with 2 stars. I have a hard time believing that.
We'll see what happens. I think its probably a long shot but who knows? Coaching against Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia every year is completely different than coaching against UCF, Tulane, and Temple. You cannot compare the competition that Les Miles faced when he was at LSU to the competition he will face in the AAC.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
From LSU to UCONN. Yep, sounds like a place Les Miles will stay for 6 years or more.

I mean...not.

No Les. Yes, Moor.

Reaction Score
I am on record stating I would rather have JM than anyone else but Miles would bring an amazing buzz to UCONN. I follow LSU as my best friend is a die hard and I know his issues. For all the talk about Miles not winning with 5 stars, go check his winning percentages and track record. A lot of this is because of his recruiting prowess and I know LSU is light years more attractive towards recruits. But you are being measured against your peers and LSU isn't our peer. If Miles was simply able to land 3 stars with an occasional 4 star, he would be dominating our current peers in recruiting and ultimately in college football, talent rules everything. And I don't even think Miles would have a bit of interest in UCONN, I just don't get the idea to dismiss the guy out of hand when he won a freaking national championship in the past decade.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
From LSU to UCONN. Yep, sounds like a place Les Miles will stay for 6 years or more.

I mean...not.
Any coach who has the kind of success we're all hoping for is likely to leave after a few years. We're a steppingstone program.

I don't think it'd be brilliant of us to rule out a potential hire because they might do too well.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say never on Miles. Not like he is getting tons of offers so you never know. Kiffen for all the hype is going to coach one of the Florida Geographicals. Ohio has been coached by a guy who won a bunch of games at Nebraska. Schiano is D.C. at Michigan after being a head coach in the NFL.

Reaction Score
The same people who raised the money to get rid of Diaco. Also I doubt it was hard to raise the money to fire Diaco, I didn't realize Burton was a billionaire.
If true, neither did I. But that is almost what it takes to play at the FBS level today. Backers with VERY deep pockets.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Miles is definitely coming to UConn and he has already recruited Odell Beckham's twin little brothers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say never on Miles. Not like he is getting tons of offers so you never know. Kiffen for all the hype is going to coach one of the Florida Geographicals. Ohio has been coached by a guy who won a bunch of games at Nebraska. Schiano is D.C. at Michigan after being a head coach in the NFL.

I seriously doubt that he's the guy, but he's 64 years old. He's not the guy that a P5 trying to build an identity is looking for and he's too expensive for a small school like a Florida International. He certainly wasn't the guy for a place like Oregon. His options are pretty limited really. He needs a school that can't attract a hot young coach (like say a Fleck) but which can afford to pay him reasonably well. UConn is on a short list of schools like that.

Reaction Score
If Burton and others are putting up large $$ then they probably want a brand name, so the Miles thing is plausible. Do they really want to buyout BD and then use some money to bring in an unknown FCS guy?

I think Miles could be fine for 3-5 years to get back moving and then have a transition plan to a competent HC.

But does Miles want to be part of a rebuilding job for possibly his last job? Also, does Miles buyout from LSU restrict him (i.e., he's work for free because they'd deduct any income against his buyout?)

If true, neither did I. But that is almost what it takes to play at the FBS level today. Backers with VERY deep pockets.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Discussion on Miles LSU Buyout: Les Miles' buyout
He'd be crazy to take another job with that buyout and at his age unless he absolutely can't live without coaching. Why work to get paid when you can make the same money for not working? Also, I had no idea he was 64. I assumed he was in his 50's. Having PP flashbacks now.

Reaction Score
Thanks, I recall Gene Chizik having something like this when he left Auburn and he basically stated out of coaching. This would take Les to 70, he may just do it knowing he'd rather work than not.

Or could UConn manipulate something where they'd pay him $1/year and then at the end of his buyout agree to a 2 year consulting agreement for like $3M/year that would be placed in a trust?

Discussion on Miles LSU Buyout: Les Miles' buyout

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm glad you'll "take Miles". I'm not sure where you think UConn football is at, but Les Miles to UConn would be enormous (if he would even consider it). That hire makes recruits take notice and we'd have a coach that has a national championship ring.

Don't understand the shade on Moorehead either. He's the OC of Penn State, the BIG10 champs. He has head coaching experience by turning a 1 win FCS team in Fordham into a nationally ranked FCS program that beat Temple and Army. IF he would consider taking on the head coaching job at the laughingstock that currently is UConn football - we should be grateful.

UConn makes no sense for Morehead at this point in his career. He wouldn't be a slam dunk hire either, but I'd take him under consideration even if most here are on board for nostalgic reasons more than logical ones.

UConn doesn't make sense for Miles either as he'll get an SEC or B12 job next season. But, he would be a slam dunk hire for Uconn if he would take it for all the reasing you mentioned.

Right now UConn is a gateway job. A gate to a better P5 job or a gate out of head coaching. Guys who are available to us are either on their way up or on their way out.

A guy like Al Golden can get another job after underachieving at Miami. Bob Diaco can't, PP can't. If Bob succeeded he would be gone anyway, if PP succeeded he'd still be in his way out.

We are not getting someone in his prime or with other P5 options.

So if Miles is interested give it to him. If Morehead is interested consider him. But, I'd be stunned if Joe was right now.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Edsall turns 59 before the Holy Cross game.... I guess this would make him our Bill Snyder?

I immediately thought of Snyder when Edsall's name was put up. I doubt that Randy could put do Bill's run at KSU, which is why I'd be reluctant to go down that road.

Reaction Score
Miles would be the best choice. It starts with recruiting and he is very good in that area. His offense was conservative but he won ALOT of games in the SEC , and a NC ring. His downfall over the past 7 years was not being able to score / win against the best team(s) in the SEC. we don't have that here in the AAC. And I would be thrilled to have 8-4, 9-3 or 10-2 seasons at UConn in 2-3 years.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Miles would be the best choice. It starts with recruiting and he is very good in that area. His offense was conservative but he won ALOT of games in the SEC , and a NC ring. His downfall over the past 7 years was not being able to score / win against the best team(s) in the SEC. we don't have that here in the AAC. And I would be thrilled to have 8-4, 9-3 or 10-2 seasons at UConn in 2-3 years.

I probably should let it go because I made this point already...but Miles was a great recruiter in a talent rich state in the #1 conference. We have no idea if he can recruit in a talent poor state in a G5 conference.

What we do know about Miles...

- 64 years old
- teams generally underachieved
- defense first...offense an after thought
- reluctant to make changes with coaches and offensive scheme
- questionable game management skills

Does that fit the profile of what UConn needs? I don't think so...I want fresh ideas and creative offense.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
UConn makes no sense for Morehead at this point in his career. He wouldn't be a slam dunk hire either, but I'd take him under consideration even if most here are on board for nostalgic reasons more than logical ones.

UConn doesn't make sense for Miles either as he'll get an SEC or B12 job next season. But, he would be a slam dunk hire for Uconn if he would take it for all the reasing you mentioned.

Right now UConn is a gateway job. A gate to a better P5 job or a gate out of head coaching. Guys who are available to us are either on their way up or on their way out.

A guy like Al Golden can get another job after underachieving at Miami. Bob Diaco can't, PP can't. If Bob succeeded he would be gone anyway, if PP succeeded he'd still be in his way out.

We are not getting someone in his prime or with other P5 options.

So if Miles is interested give it to him. If Morehead is interested consider him. But, I'd be stunned if Joe was right now.

Man, that is a sobering assessment but it sounds about right. It seems that would make us more likely to roll the dice on a young guy trying to skip a grade or two (which is what BD was). This juxtaposed with the pressure of not being able to afford another bad hire. Tough spot for DB, hope he has an ace up his sleeve.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The appeal of a guy like Miles other than the obvious resume is that he knows what good football players look like and can presumably teach them. Even in the SEC, recruits needs to improve dramatically or get pasted every week.

A guy that can scout and develop players at OL and QB should be #1 on any list of qualifications. OL first, QB second. Do that and we can succeed.

Reaction Score
I probably should let it go because I made this point already...but Miles was a great recruiter in a talent rich state in the #1 conference. We have no idea if he can recruit in a talent poor state in a G5 conference.

What we do know about Miles...

- 64 years old
- teams generally underachieved
- defense first...offense an after thought
- reluctant to make changes with coaches and offensive scheme
- questionable game management skills

Does that fit the profile of what UConn needs? I don't think so...I want fresh ideas and creative offense.
Yeah. Why would we want a coach with a 0.721 winning percentage in 16 years where his only losing record was his first year at OSU and his next worst record was 7-5. We should drop hm from consideration because of all the points you mentioned and overlook the primary metric of wins and losses. He is a winner. Proven. Period.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The appeal of a guy like Miles other than the obvious resume is that he knows what good football players look like and can presumably teach them. Even in the SEC, recruits needs to improve dramatically or get pasted every week.

A guy that can scout and develop players at OL and QB should be #1 on any list of qualifications. OL first, QB second. Do that and we can succeed.

The other appeal is instant credibility. Let's be honest, Moorhead is probably the 2nd biggest name on the list, and even he would generate a "who?" from most people. Les Miles tells recruits that UConn is about playing big time football. It isn't an afterthought. I really do think we need a dose of positive football publicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom