Word for this year: ABATTOIR | The Boneyard

Word for this year: ABATTOIR

Reaction Score
Last year I promoted the term “schadenfreude” and was pleased that it gained some traction on this site. It perfectly fits the perverse (yet oddly enjoyable) taking of satisfaction in others' misery. Typically, Tennessee is the object of our unattractive (yet oddly enjoyable) reveling whenever something goes amiss there.

This year, in honor of the outstanding quality of our WCBB team, I'd like to encourage the use of ABATTOIR, which means “slaughterhouse.”

In an extended sense, abattoir refers to a place of sacrifice, such as the Temples on Mt. Moriah in Jerusalem. Before the Temples, Moriah was the place on which God instructed Abraham to sacrifice his son Issac as a testament to his faith. You may recall that a goat was also invited along just in case. Sure enough, the goat became the unwitting “scape-goat.” Sad (but better than the alternative).

Today's sacrifices are as unwelcome to present visitors (ie, goats) to UConn as was that goat of long ago. However, the modern goats pretend that nothing is going to happen, and that they will return unharmed—much as the scape-goat of yore must have done. Moreover, some goats actually imagine (!) turning the tables and making the Huskies their sacrifice. Doesn't happen, but some goats just don't learn from history.

On Sunday, we will welcome yet another unwary guest into our abattoir . . . (heh, heh)

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ain't no scape, but

ff3641362a0007013959ef110f3a043f--uconn-basketball-basketball-legends.jpg

Reaction Score
Last year I promoted the term “schadenfreude” and was pleased that it gained some traction on this site. It perfectly fits the perverse (yet oddly enjoyable) taking of satisfaction in others' misery. Typically, Tennessee is the object of our unattractive (yet oddly enjoyable) reveling whenever something goes amiss there.

This year, in honor of the outstanding quality of our WCBB team, I'd like to encourage the use of ABATTOIR, which means “slaughterhouse.”

In an extended sense, abattoir refers to a place of sacrifice, such as the Temples on Mt. Jerusalem. Before the Temples, Moriah was the place on which God instructed Abraham to sacrifice his son Issac as a testament to his faith. You may also recall that a goat was also invited along just in case. Sure enough, the goat became the unwitting “scape-goat.” Sad (but better than the alternative).

Today's sacrifices are as unwelcome to present visitors (ie, goats) to UConn as was that goat of long ago. However, the modern goats pretend that nothing is going to happen, and that they will return unharmed—much as the scape-goat of yore must have done. Moreover, some goats actually imagine (!) turning the tables and making the Huskies their sacrifice. Doesn't happen, but some goats just don't learn from history.

On Sunday, we will welcome yet another unwary guest into our abattoir . . . (heh, heh)

A little blood thirsty, don't you think? Hardly fits these nice women. If you ever visited the old , on campus, Uconn slaughterhouse--not nice. The vision of Christine's team dripping with the blood and inner's of their opponents presents an ugly sight.

Reaction Score
A little blood thirsty, don't you think? Hardly fits these nice women. If you ever visited the old , on campus, Uconn slaughterhouse--not nice. The vision of Christine's team dripping with the blood and inner's of their opponents presents an ugly sight.
Don’t kid yourself - they are killers (ref. recent “Ruthless” thread).

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

In an extended sense, abattoir refers to a place of sacrifice, such as the Temples on Mt. Moriah in Jerusalem. Before the Temples, Moriah was the place on which God instructed Abraham to sacrifice his son Issac as a testament to his faith. You may recall that a goat was also invited along just in case. Sure enough, the goat became the unwitting “scape-goat.” Sad (but better than the alternative).

Yes, yes, Abattoir Five, by Kurt Vonnegut. We're all familiar with the word.

Reaction Score
Don’t kid yourself - they are killers (ref. recent “Ruthless” thread).
Didn't we read recently: Geno: These kids don't have the killer instinct? I think it is related to the play of the Second halves.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score

My understanding of Mosaic Law, the scape-goat is the goat that gets to go free (vs the one that gets scareficed). It carried with it the "sins of the people" and often lived a long life in the wild... as it was cured and no one wanted to hunt it...

Reaction Score
Abattoir is certainly a not-very-used word, but it is not a fun word, both because of what it means (yuck) and its sound. May I propose an alternative that doesn't carry the bloody context and is fun to say and use: Gobsmacked, which is how many of UConn's opponents feel after about 10 minutes on the court.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Maybe GABBATOR would be better since she eats up the sacrificial lambs.
Gabulous is a great word, but Gabbatoir is way better. "Laksa goes to the Gabbatoir again with the same result."

The first time I heard the word abattoir was in the early-mid 70's in a Monty Python skit. It's still REALLY funny:

Reaction Score
Normally I am uplifted by the high level of intellectual banter on the boneyard. However the notion of sacrificing the Greatest Of All Time in an abattoir is just too crazy even for those of us who are tantalized by an occasional absurdity. Go Huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom