Woody's Dawgs in USA Today | The Boneyard

Woody's Dawgs in USA Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A quintessential tailgate food.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...oodys-hot-dogs-hartford-connecticut/78374432/

Turns out Nutmeggers love them some tube steak. Books have been written about Connecticut's love affair with the encased meat tube.

And Woody's gives your mouth the full 12".

The unifying theme is the frank itself, always a foot-long, all-beef model that is thin with a nice snappy exterior, and to me very similar to a longer version of a Hebrew National supermarket frank. The dogs are cooked well done, until almost blistered, enhancing the nice snap, and the New England-style rolls — the best style, with flat exposed sides — are buttered and griddled, a great touch.

I guess I missed out on this love affair when I lived in Ct. I never even knew there was a deep fried sub-genre in the Southeast of the state.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-dogs-sizzle-at-connecticut-drive-in/1951973/

Connecticut is hot-dog mad and chock full of roadside stands, trailers and even a wiener-serving boat. Ten of these classics were featured in the fun food documentary A Connecticut Hot Dog Tour, which also noted that the Nutmeg State is the epicenter of a unique regional cuisine, the oil-fried hot dog. This preparation style is especially popular in southern Connecticut, with some spillover into New York and New Jersey, where
Great American Bites last visited Rutt's Hut, another classic fried-dog dispensary

Reaction Score
Here in Southington, the great debate has raged on forever: Which is best Rosol's (New Britain) or Hummel's (New Haven)? It's the epicurean equivalent to the Hatfield-McCoy feud, with loyalists on both sides. Most agree that skinless franks are baby food. (If you are a fan of Ball Park or Oscar Meyer you don't know your dogs). Agree that toasted New England style buns are best.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Used to go to Roscoe's in Hartford and always thought he had the best dog. Other places, Woody's included, rely on the dog being dressed up to be good. Roscoe's stood on it's own. When he shut down we started going to Woody's. Couldn't stand his product and have no clue why folks speak so highly of him. I would get a grilled cheese, though the bread was too thick on that and I didn't particularly enjoy that either.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Super. Duper. Weenie. Nothing else is even remotely close.

Reaction Score
Here in Southington, the great debate has raged on forever: Which is best Rosol's (New Britain) or Hummel's (New Haven)? It's the epicurean equivalent to the Hatfield-McCoy feud, with loyalists on both sides. Most agree that skinless franks are baby food. (If you are a fan of Ball Park or Oscar Meyer you don't know your dogs). Agree that toasted New England style buns are best.
It's funny most hot dogs are regional. When I moved to CT 38 years ago from eastern PA, I was invited to a cookout. The debate started over the best hot dogs. People were throwing out names I never heard of and when I started mentioning my favorites they were looking at me like I was from another planet. I might as well have been speaking another language. Since then when I travel I have made it a point to sample different hot dogs around the country. It is a good experience with all the different toppings and chili/meat sauces.

Reaction Score
Yes! I went to CCSU and would go here often back in the day. Their sauce is unique, either love it or hate it...I happened to love it. Still try to stop in there whenever in the area...
Yeah, the meat sauce is definitely different with hints of cardamom and cinnamon. I'm in the love it camp. Also, can't beat the buck-eighty cost each.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I grew up on Capitol Lunch, but prefer Blackie's now (it's the hot relish). I have never bothered figuring out the difference between Mucke's, Rosol's, etc. For supermarket franks it's Hebrew National, everything else tastes bland.

Reaction Score
My favorites are Pearls from Boston. Unbelievable. BJ's Wholesale used to carry them until they started carrying a Dietz & Watson knockoff which doesn't taste anywhere near as good. Now I get them when my nephew comes home from the Hub.
Locally, I eat way more Hummel's than Rosol's, but I like them both-and always grilled-nothing tastes worse than a boiled hot dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom