OT: - Woody’s Closing | The Boneyard

OT: Woody’s Closing

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
As a Miami Dolphins fan and UConn basketball fan who LOVED hitting up Woodys before UConn games and then catching some football there on Sundays... this hurts.

Their deputy dog is one of my favorite things to eat, ever.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bummer. Good dogs. Some fun pre and post-game memories there.

Reaction Score
I go there a couple Fridays a month. I like to call those Fridays "Treat Your Body Like a Landfill Day". My boss has given me a Woody's gift card each of the last few years for Christmas. Always funny to try to watch them try to figure it out. They always end up writing the remaining amount on the back with a Sharpie!

I'll definitely get there at least once before it's all over. Wishing Gary and Cindy all the best. They've earned a break!

Reaction Score
I will miss that place. Even made TV. Food network or Travel channel wtv. But Still. TV.

Foot longs and brews before games when we mattered and XL was always hot.

Anybody else feel like the tepid at best attendance let to the demise?

Reaction Score
Really upset when I saw this on TV.

Love that place.

I think Gary's health issues may have something to do with it.
(No idea, I know he had some type of surgery within the last yr)

Plus, I'm sure they want to retire elsewhere.

Absolutely love the deputy dog w/bacon and the only place I could get Schaefer cans for like 2.75

If he's open, will go before Tulsa game and UConn hockey game on Friday. And a couple more times.

Attendance probably didn't help. The pre-game thing @ coliseum club for hockey didn't help either. Weren't open too often either during yard goat season. More of a lunch place.

Sad. Will be missed. The only one unique place I really want to go to when I go downtown

Reaction Score
Gary and I were teammates on our high school track team in 1969. Woody's started as a pushcart. I'd often see him working nights out in front of the Rockinghorse Saloon at Brown St and Franklin Ave in the late 70's. At that time, Cindy was in Law School. Recently, my cousin from Somers would often visit me as an excuse to eat Woody's hot dogs.

Business suffered when thousands of Hartford IT workers were outsourced in 2000.

Reaction Score
Way back before they opened Woodys in 1998, we bought street dogs from Gary back in the 80s after downtown bar hopping. My future wife and I had the routine down to a science. 1:30 am....Pull up to the corner, she would jump out to get the dogs (cheese and onions always) while I drove around the block and swung back to pick her up . Then try to eat while driving home. Good times.

Reaction Score
Really upset when I saw this on TV.

Love that place.

I think Gary's health issues may have something to do with it.
(No idea, I know he had some type of surgery within the last yr)

Plus, I'm sure they want to retire elsewhere.

Absolutely love the deputy dog w/bacon and the only place I could get Schaefer cans for like 2.75

If he's open, will go before Tulsa game and UConn hockey game on Friday. And a couple more times.

Attendance probably didn't help. The pre-game thing @ coliseum club for hockey didn't help either. Weren't open too often either during yard goat season. More of a lunch place.

Sad. Will be missed. The only one unique place I really want to go to when I go downtown

yes a great place .
However “If he’s open” are the key words I’ve tried to take grandson there before three games this year and it hasn’t been open.

Reaction Score
Don't know how good you have it in Ct. Moved to Colorado 21 years ago. Good Pizza and Hot Dogs are next to impossible to find.

Reaction Score
There used to be a food truck (former school bus) called Woody's at the Bottom of Hillside where it hit Eagleville Road. In the 70s that was a parking lot, it's now the North Parking garage. Anyhow, I always wondered if the Woody's in Hartford started off as that food truck. Anyone know?

Reaction Score
It's open right now. Might be his last wknd (not sure)

In downtown for whalers alumni game and to get a Gordie Howe bobblehead.

Place is packed w/ people in whalers
Gear.

Reaction Score
I just asked Gary:

Last day will be Saint Patty's day parade day in Hartford.

Will be open in between that.

Will still do catering and food carts, but will no longer be in current location

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Anyone remember an old hotdog place in downtown that served dogs with chili? It was old in the 70s. Never had another chilidog like those and I miss them still.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom