Womens U16 Games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Womens U16 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The team I saw on the floor- especially the starters- did not seem to reflect the team concept type of player that the selection committee professed to set as a standard for the players they picked. This seemed more evident in the starters. It became more obvious during each progressive game. The ineffectiveness of the offense was initially hidden by Moore's early success but as her shots wouldn't drop the offense ( little ball movement) became stagnant until the reserves usually entered the game. What happened to passing the ball to a player who had the better shot?.

I have to lay this entirely on the coaches. The coach is very methodical, using the same rotational pattern in every game with no consideration as to the actual effectiveness of the individual players. It seems that the usual over all talent superiority that the USA usually has over the opposition allowed this coaching staff the luxury of just throwing players out there without in game match up adjustments or substitutions based on player effectiveness and still win all their games.

The coach let this game get out of hand before even attempting to make the proper adjustments. Heard the assistant coach talk about ball movement in the one time out they called but then the team went back in and a player jacked up the ball with out any passing on their very next possession. As was mentioned by Ericsandiago the coaches should have sat players to make their point. The ball ,movement and hustle improved considerable once the starting rotation was no longer intact. It seemed clear that the coach had what seemed to be favorites who were in the game irregardless of their effectiveness. Even when the team made a run she put the starters back in to close the game and Brazil pulled away again. Again this was not on the players. The coaching staff needs to be held accountable.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It was the style of play in the first 3 quarters that led to the defeat. Outside Shots weren't falling but there was not a concerted effort to get the ball into the post players or dribble drives for layups. Finally in the 4th quarter there was a concerted effort to get the ball down low and improve team defense. USA made a comeback bid reducing a Brazil 22 point lead to 6 points However it was too late. It wasn't so much that Brazil played great, it was the poor team play by Team USA. Very little production from the Bench which is where Team USA usually can win games by their overwhelming talent when starters aren't hitting their shots.

It goes back to the original selection process where some of the elite talent in the 2017/18 class were not picked for the team. If this years U16 Team is the core for next years U17 World Championship team, its unlikely USA will win the Gold Medal.

There were interesting tweets last night by @MikeFlynn826 @kennykallina @hoopsking1968 and others after the loss.

The team I saw on the floor- especially the starters- did not seem to reflect the team concept type of player that the selection committee professed to set as a standard for the players they picked. This seemed more evident in the starters. It became more obvious during each progressive game. The ineffectiveness of the offense was initially hidden by Moore's early success but as her shots wouldn't drop the offense ( little ball movement) became stagnant until the reserves usually entered the game. What happened to passing the ball to a player who had the better shot?.

I have to lay this entirely on the coaches. The coach is very methodical, using the same rotational pattern in every game with no consideration as to the actual effectiveness of the individual players. It seems that the usual over all talent superiority that the USA usually has over the opposition allowed this coaching staff the luxury of just throwing players out there without in game match up adjustments or substitutions based on player effectiveness and still win all their games.

The coach let this game get out of hand before even attempting to make the proper adjustments. Heard the assistant coach talk about ball movement in the one time out they called but then the team went back in and a player jacked up the ball with out any passing on their very next possession. As was mentioned by Ericsandiago the coaches should have sat players to make their point. The ball ,movement and hustle improved considerable once the starting rotation was no longer intact. It seemed clear that the coach had what seemed to be favorites who were in the game irregardless of their effectiveness. Even when the team made a run she put the starters back in to close the game and Brazil pulled away again. Again this was not on the players. The coaching staff needs to be held accountable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There were interesting tweets last night by @MikeFlynn826 @kennykallina @hoopsking1968 and others after the loss.
Is it possible to get a summary of the thoughts on the game. Having watched all the USA games I think there maybe a bit of overreaction to this loss.

Reaction Score
They are very fortunate that the top four teams are invited to the Worlds. I would say an overhaul of the coaching staff and roster selection will be needed if they hope to win in the Worlds next summer. The defense played by that team was absolutely disgusting, yet only marginally worse than the offensive sets (or lack thereof). They played like a men's playground team.
I agree, the one on one offensive play, bad shots and lack of team play was very
noticeable. I question the coaching staff allowing this. Perhaps it was the short time
the team had to prepare for this tournament. In any event, the team got a good wake
up call and could be a valuable lesson for the future tournaments.

To be honest, I had a hard time watching this team play. Hopefuly, they will learn
from this setback. I have to give Brazil credit, they played pretty good and shot the
ball well in building the lead. It appeared they wanted in more.

Reaction Score
The U18 and U19 teams don't have these problems because they are coached by the very best college coaches. Because of recruiting concerns, I understand why that pool is not available for the U16 and U17 teams, but USA basketball is avoiding an obvious upgrade. There are some fantastic DIII coaches who would love to do this, and they have virtually no chance of recruiting any of the players, who are all obvious DI talents. They had the coach from Washington U at the tryouts to do clinics; maybe she should have been the head coach. The DePauw coach has been fabulously successful, as have at least a half dozen others, who consistently produce competitive NC-worthy teams. I recognize there are some great high school coaches, but almost all of them have connections to AAU teams that would certainly create controversy in the selection process. The problem here was coaching; that can be fixed.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA vs Mexico for Bronze Medal

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So USA smashes Mexico for Bronze - complain all you want, but this team played one losing half of basketball in the tournament and it cost them a chance for Gold. It happens, and I am not sure I am willing to blame either coaches or 16 year old players for that result.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Canada wins Gold with a one point win over Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads