Women's Soccer: US v Canada | The Boneyard

Women's Soccer: US v Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read that earlier and thought it was no different from a bball coach saying a physical team doesn't get fouls called on them. No doubt the US is physical in set plays. We are often bigger and stronger, so it could appear that way more, but other teams have been tough too. Abby's face is prime example.

I agree with the NZ coach about the USA post goal celebrations. I don't like them, at all. Act like you've been there before. The US didn't like in the '95 WC when the Norwegian players linked up in centipede formation, crawling around the field celebrating. It stuck forever in the minds of American players on the field that day and helped fuel the best rivalry of women's soccer's early history. Maybe Foudy, Chastain or Hamm should say something to the team.

There isn't any love loss between CDN and US. Sinclair is the third best striker and scorer in women's soccer history at 140, behind Abby (142) and Hamm (158). Should be a great game.

more on game from Washington Post

LINK

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If there is one thing that soccer players have a longstanding tradition of not doing, it's acting like they've been there before. It's not a phenomenon that exists in that sport. The men are far worse.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If there is one thing that soccer players have a longstanding tradition of not doing, it's acting like they've been there before. It's not a phenomenon that exists in that sport. The men are far worse.
Bingo! Decorum has never been synomynous with soccer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Canada's coach accuses US of "highly illegal" tactics in advance of tomorrow's semi-final match-up.
Looking for an edge, I guess.

England — It's been 11 years since Canada has defeated the United States in women's soccer. Many coaches would say they don't pay attention to such numbers, that only the next game matters.

Not Canada coach John Herdman. He knows the 0-22-4 streak is in his players' heads, part of the country's 3-43-5 all-time record against the Americans, so he might as well tackle it head-on as his team prepares to play the U.S. on Monday in the semifinals of the Olympic Games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
seems like Herdman is either trying to play mind games ahead of an important match or he might be laying the groundwork for potential excuses should things not go Canada’s way.
Bingo

The bitterness of that last line sounds quite similar to New Zealand coach Tony Readings’ complaint about the U.S.’s choreographed goal celebrations. ”I wouldn’t like it if our team did that. When teams concede [goals] they’re disappointed and they want to get on with the game. But it’s obviously something the Americans do,” said Readings.

Obvious why they lost, the coach watches very little soccer/football. Players/teams (men and women) from all over the world have celebrations, choreographed celebrations. I love them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And then these guys take it to a whole other level.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree with the NZ coach about the USA post goal celebrations. I don't like them, at all. Act like you've been there before.
Disagree. Love goal celebrations. Unlike other sports where scoring is much easier, goal in soccer really mean something because you have to work so hard to score. I say celebrate away.

Maybe Foudy, Chastain or Hamm should say something to the team.

I assume that was sarcasm. If not then......OOOOOMMMMGGGG NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Reaction Score
Yea, I was being sarcastic.

I love some of the goal celebrations, but many go over the top.

Reaction Score
Interesting...as you watch the English Premier League you realize that every set piece is attended by a surprising amount of Jersey pulling, arm locking, brush blocking etc. that is never called because both teams are doing it almost constantly. The women's game seems to have a lot less of that, but Alex Morgan is starting to get a lot of physical play which she'll need to address through some strength and conditioning.

I haven't noticed any exceptionally rough play from our team...

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
This reminds me of Geno trying to move the center of attention pressure from his players and onto himself.

Sure the US plays physical (read UConn play) but from what I have seen the US has been assigned a number of savvy experienced international referees and their officiating of the US matches has not shown any pro US bias...

Gamesmanship for sure...

Reaction Score
Celebrate fine. But I think the pre-planned things should be avoided in international competition.
I also think there should be a time limit OR that the opposing team gets to start play as soon as they get the ball back to the center of the field.

Reaction Score
I, too, come from the day when celebrations were considered poor firm...how long has it been...?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, I was being sarcastic.

I love some of the goal celebrations, but many go over the top.
True but a shout out to the Fab 5 doesn't bother me. And some I think are funny.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Celebrate fine. But I think the pre-planned things should be avoided in international competition.
I also think there should be a time limit OR that the opposing team gets to start play as soon as they get the ball back to the center of the field.
Well there is a time limit, at least in the referee's mind. Players can be cautioned for wasting time. However they can't start as soon as they get the ball back to center of field. The other team has to be on their side of the field also before the ref can start. However if you do a goal celebration on your own side of the field.......

Reaction Score
Well there is a time limit, at least in the referee's mind. Players can be cautioned for wasting time. However they can't start as soon as they get the ball back to center of field. The other team has to be on their side of the field also before the ref can start. However if you do a goal celebration on your own side of the field.......

I know those arent the rules now (and have you ever seen a team penalized for excessive celebration?). Hence why I said "I think there should be ..."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know those arent the rules now (and have you ever seen a team penalized for excessive celebration?). Hence why I said "I think there should be ..."
A whole team? No. Individuals? Yes. And as I said there is a rule (law) for wasting time. So there isn't a "should be" because there is an "already is".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom