Women's Soccer 2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Women's Soccer 2018

Reaction Score
BU leads UConn 2-0 at the half. Huskies suffer from too many breakdowns on defense, leaving the goalkeeper Palacios to fend for herself (I suspect she may be the best player on the team). On the other side of ball, the team just can't complete too many passes in the offensive end to give themselves really good goal scoring chances. Part of the problem on offense is due to injury. Sophomore Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky (she scored 2 goals in the regular season, 5 in the two preseason games) played only 8 minutes in the first half before coming out. I suspect she has been trying to play hurt so far early in this season, and it hasn't helped much. In addition, the Huskies two leading goal scorers from last season (Beil and Elmore), are probably out for the season with injuries, adding further to the offensive disfunction. All in all it is all adding up to to like an ugly season for first year head coach Margaret Rodriguez.

Reaction Score
BU leads UConn 2-0 at the half. Huskies suffer from too many breakdowns on defense, leaving the goalkeeper Palacios to fend for herself (I suspect she may be the best player on the team). On the other side of ball, the team just can't complete too many passes in the offensive end to give themselves really good goal scoring chances. Part of the problem on offense is due to injury. Sophomore Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky (she scored 2 goals in the regular season, 5 in the two preseason games) played only 8 minutes in the first half before coming out. I suspect she has been trying to play hurt so far early in this season, and it hasn't helped much. In addition, the Huskies two leading goal scorers from last season (Beil and Elmore), are probably out for the season with injuries, adding further to the offensive disfunction. All in all it is all adding up to to like an ugly season for first year head coach Margaret Rodriguez.

A healthy program does not fall all the way down the totem pole past BU and Northeastern (and almost CCSU) due to losing 2 players. But hey it gives Benedict and Company yet another excuse for another ugly ugly UConn team season on his watch for a program we need to perform. Do the fat cats I see eating under the tent entitled FRIENDS OF UCONN SOCCER do anything? They happy with the current state of these programs? I'd also like a reason why we didn't make a run at Randy Waldrum and promoted a former player with no head coaching experience and was the head assistant during the time the program went downhill. Promoting formers players without head coaching experience has worked wonders for UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn Blog analysis of the women's soccer team:

What’s Wrong with UConn Women’s Soccer?

I mentioned before that I thought that Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky was playing hurt. Here's confirmation of that:

>The UConn Blog learned that Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky has been dealing with a back injury all season. She only played eight minutes against BU, but it’s unknown if that is related to an injury. When on, Danyko-Kulchycky is the team’s best attacking player.<

Reaction Score
UCONN leading Ole Miss, 3-1 at the half. Ole Miss is Receiving Votes in the latest Coaches' Poll (#35).

Reaction Score
UCONN leading Ole Miss, 3-1 at the half. Ole Miss is Receiving Votes in the latest Coaches' Poll (#35).

By the way, Ole Miss has a 5-1 record. The way teams have scored on UConn this season, I wasn't going to say anything about this one until the game was over. Anyway, I got home around 5pm from work and checked the Stat Tracker for this game. UConn scored in the first few minutes. I thought that was an interesting change of pace. Walked away and checked the stats a few minutes later. Another UConn goal. Walked away and checked again a few minutes later, and was absolutely shocked to see a 3-0 UConn lead. After attending a game and watching the stream of the others, I was wondering what had gotten into them, as they had done an excellent job of convincing me that they were a bad team. At any rate, nice to see a 3-1 lead at the half against anyone these days, let alone a solid team like Ole Miss. We'll see what happens in the second half.

Reaction Score
By the way, Ole Miss has a 5-1 record. The way teams have scored on UConn this season, I wasn't going to say anything about this one until the game was over. Anyway, I got home around 5pm from work and checked the Stat Tracker for this game. UConn scored in the first few minutes. I thought that was an interesting change of pace. Walked away and checked the stats a few minutes later. Another UConn goal. Walked away and checked again a few minutes later, and was absolutely shocked to see a 3-0 UConn lead. After attending a game and watching the stream of the others, I was wondering what had gotten into them, as they had done an excellent job of convincing me that they were a bad team. At any rate, nice to see a 3-1 lead at the half against anyone these days, let alone a solid team like Ole Miss. We'll see what happens in the second half.

Perhaps I got overly excited... Ole Miss scores 2 minutes into the second half to make it 3-2.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I got overly excited... Ole Miss scores 2 minutes into the second half to make it 3-2.

Oops again. Since there is no video feed that I can watch of this one, I'm about to run out and get some dinner.

Reaction Score

And with that UCONN scores again 4 minutes later! Man, I wish I could watch this one! UCONN up 4-2. Spillane (Junior) with 2 goals.

Reaction Score
Oops again. Since there is no video feed that I can watch of this one, I'm about to run out and get some dinner.

No WHUS radio feed, either, for that matter.

Reaction Score
Ole Miss scores to make it 4-3 UCONN. 9 minutes plus stoppage left in the game.

Reaction Score
UCONN holds on to win 4-3. Quality win.

UConn had 3 corner kicks to 1 for Ole Miss. UConn had 9 shots (5 on goal), Ole Miss had 15 shots (7 on goal). Definitely a quality win, and given the way this season has gone so far, I'm a bit shocked by it. Still, very good win to come up with, no question.

Next up on Sunday, this tournament continues when UConn plays the host team, Arkansas. Before tonight's game Arkansas had a 3-1-1 record. Last season these teams played in Storrs, in a game where UConn was badly outplayed in the second half. Despite this UConn came out of it with a 2-1 win. I have to think Arkansas will no doubt remember that loss. UConn has shocked me once in this tournament, let's see if they can put out another good effort in their next game in Fayetteville.

Reaction Score
I still find it odd seeing SEC women's soccer. If I remember correctly, in the mid 1990's, only Florida and South Carolina had teams and Flroida was new at the time. Shows what money can do. I think the SEC only has two teams that play men's soccer, South Carolina, which has always been a solid program, and Kentucky, and both play in Conference USA.

Reaction Score
I still find it odd seeing SEC women's soccer. If I remember correctly, in the mid 1990's, only Florida and South Carolina had teams and Flroida was new at the time. Shows what money can do. I think the SEC only has two teams that play men's soccer, South Carolina, which has always been a solid program, and Kentucky, and both play in Conference USA.

Just looked up the SEC record book. The first year the SEC was involved in women's soccer was 1993. 4 SEC schools offered the sport that year, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Auburn, and Arkansas. Florida, South Carolina, and most of the SEC schools got involved in women's soccer in 1995. I would guess at that point these schools started going on upgrading their soccer facilities as well.

Reaction Score
Just looked up the SEC record book. The first year the SEC was involved in women's soccer was 1993. 4 SEC schools offered the sport that year, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Auburn, and Arkansas. Florida, South Carolina, and most of the SEC schools got involved in women's soccer in 1995. I would guess at that point these schools started going on upgrading their soccer facilities as well.

Florida had a impressive run between run from 1998 through 2002 or so (just 1 NCAA title though) when then had Danielle Fotopoulos (USWNT), Abby Wambach (USWMNT), Heather Mitt (USWNT), Melanie Booth (Canada National Team), and Danielle Murphy (England National Team) on the team at one point or another.

Reaction Score
Anyone else having trouble getting the video to the UConn-Arkansas game to play? No soap on this one. I was able to watch some of the UConn-Syracuse field hockey, that was fine.

At any rate, it appears UConn is getting badly outplayed in the first half. Arkansas has a 10-1 shot advantage, and Arkansas has a 5-0 corner kick advantage. However, UConn is up 1-0 with a goal from Casimiro.

Reaction Score
Arkansas has tied it at 1 late in the first half. Now a 12-1 shot advantage, with 6 corners by Arkansas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom