Women's BB - Is Parity Arriving | The Boneyard

Women's BB - Is Parity Arriving

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Women's College Basketball Bracketology: Is Parity Arriving?

Parity is Here, because of Geno's failure or mistakes in recruiting and the PAC 12 teams are keeping the majority of the Elite West Coast players are staying out west to go to college. Also colleges are starting to put more resources in their Women's Basketball Programs. If Azura' Stevens had decided to stay for this year, I wonder if the Media would be using Parity has Arrived. If Geno had played Azura' more then 28 minutes in last years Tournament Game against Notre Dame, would she have stayed if UConn had won the National Championship. Probably not, but would there still be the Parity talk coming off a UConn National Championship.

I didn't know what word to use instead of Failure. Is it Geno's fault, that Elite players that had UConn on their list of schools, decide to go elsewhere. Probably not, but what word do you use? Geno hasn't been able to sign in the last three recruiting classes multiple players in the 6'2" - 6'5" range that were/are ready to immediately compete for a starting position.

Also to paraphrase what Geno said in an interview. We didn't sign players with the mindset that they will develop over a couple of years to end up being starting players. Geno/Chris has relied on recruiting the right Elite players at a future need each year that they automatically have a talented starting Five to Seven each year. Ideally, an elite player is recruited comes in as a freshmen gets major minutes while waiting for a Senior to graduate. Then as Sophomores the player is ready to start and is considered to be an All American candidate. When was the last time that Geno had a Four Year player, that didn't start until their Junior Year and there wasn't a drop off in the usual UConn talent level. Saniya gained a starting position in her Senior year as Crystal wasn't ready to start as a Freshmen. There may be others, but I can't think of another over the five to eight years. Geno IMO has always been of the mindset that all he needs is Eight players to win a National Championship. He was correct as long as the pipeline of elite players continued to sign with UConn.

Reaction Score
Women's College Basketball Bracketology: Is Parity Arriving?

Parity is Here, because of Geno's failure or mistakes in recruiting and the PAC 12 teams are keeping the majority of the Elite West Coast players are staying out west to go to college. Also colleges are starting to put more resources in their Women's Basketball Programs. If Azura' Stevens had decided to stay for this year, I wonder if the Media would be using Parity has Arrived. If Geno had played Azura' more then 28 minutes in last years Tournament Game against Notre Dame, would she have stayed if UConn had won the National Championship. Probably not, but would there still be the Parity talk coming off a UConn National Championship.

I didn't know what word to use instead of Failure. Is it Geno's fault, that Elite players that had UConn on their list of schools, decide to go elsewhere. Probably not, but what word do you use? Geno hasn't been able to sign in the last three recruiting classes multiple players in the 6'2" - 6'5" range that were/are ready to immediately compete for a starting position.

Also to paraphrase what Geno said in an interview. We didn't sign players with the mindset that they will develop over a couple of years to end up being starting players. Geno/Chris has relied on recruiting the right Elite players at a future need each year that they automatically have a talented starting Five to Seven each year. Ideally, an elite player is recruited comes in as a freshmen gets major minutes while waiting for a Senior to graduate. Then as Sophomores the player is ready to start and is considered to be an All American candidate. When was the last time that Geno had a Four Year player, that didn't start until their Junior Year and there wasn't a drop off in the usual UConn talent level. Saniya gained a starting position in her Senior year as Crystal wasn't ready to start as a Freshmen. There may be others, but I can't think of another over the five to eight years. Geno IMO has always been of the mindset that all he needs is Eight players to win a National Championship. He was correct as long as the pipeline of elite players continued to sign with UConn.
WHAT SOUR AND SHORT SIGHTED GRAPES!!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
The 2004-2005 UCONN WBB Team had no current or future All-Americans. The team endured 3 home losses, and four double-digit losses. Ten players averaged double-digit minutes for the entire season, with only one (Strother) averaging more than 23. Although already a long-time fan, I was not a member of the Boneyard back then, to suffer the gnashing of teeth, the rending of garments, and the loss of all hope. Alas, it now appears that I have lived too long...………
1547659861901.png

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What are the Short Sighted and Sour Grapes?

IMO UConn wins last years championship if Azura' plays more minutes. Geno had his reasons. I use the Analogy if Malcolm Butler plays in last years Super Bowl Patriots win. Belichick had his reasons for Butler not playing, just as Geno had his reasons that Azura' didn't play more minutes. Coaches decisions. Belichick's reason was probably more of a punishment issue, while Geno's was he was giving the minutes to the players that he thought was best at the time to win the game. Like Belichick's, I think Geno was also wrong.

You have to go back to the Tuck/Stewart recruiting class of 2012/13 where UConn successfully recruited players that could play Power Forward/Center position. Five consecutive recruiting classes of not signing an Elite Center/Power Forward. KLS came out of HS as a 6'2" guard/wing, not a Forward/center. Yes, he signed Olivia in last years class. What's the biggest weakness of this years team? IMO lack of a true Power Forward/Center. Maybe his recruiting strategy was based that Camara would have more of an impact on this roster and that Azura' would stay for her Senior year.

I haven't lost hope that this years team Might win a National Championship. However, I know it is more difficult because the team doesn't have a true Power Forward/Center in the starting lineup. Also as of today, there's not a player coming off the bench that can consistently provide 10 points and/or 8-10 rebounds a game. If they play like they did against Notre Dame, they can win the National Championship. Anything less, because of the makeup of the roster, I don't think they can. No margin for errors. Geno doesn't have the best starting five in the country with how inconsistent three of the starting five have played this year.

WHAT SOUR AND SHORT SIGHTED GRAPES!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The 2004/05 team did not win a National Championship. Lost in the Sweet 16 game in KC to Stanford. I see this years team making it to the Regional Finals and possibly the Final Four. If the cards fall right, they can win a National Championship. However, I would love for this years team to have an experienced player like Jessica Moore or Ashley Battle on the roster.

The 2004-2005 UCONN WBB Team had no current or future All-Americans. The team endured 3 home losses, and four double-digit losses. Ten players averaged double-digit minutes for the entire season, with only one (Strother) averaging more than 23. Although already a long-time fan, I was not a member of the Boneyard back then, to suffer the gnashing of teeth, the rending of garments, and the loss of all hope. Alas, it now appears that I have lived too long...………
View attachment 38336

Reaction Score
If you take a broader timeframe, not much has changed. When I started watching UConn and Geno in the 80's, it was Louisiana Tech, USC, and Georgia as the teams that repeated in the final 4. Tennessee came on late '80's. UConn won in 1995 but didn't repeat for 5 more years. Notre Dame won in 2001 but was lucky to gain the Final 4 for many more years. Since then, Baylor won in 2012 but hasn't been in Final 4 since. Stanford a sporadic Final 4 participant the past 15 years.

Bottom line, UConn and to a lesser extent, ND, have been the only consistent Final 4 participants the past 10-15 years. Many others have come and gone. I suspect UConn will do some major recruiting the next few years and little will change in terms of who consistently stays on top.
NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
With apologies to Stanford and to Walter Donaldson, maybe the question should be:

"How ya gonna keep 'em down on The Farm after they've seen Parity?

1547667586618.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford a sporadic Final 4 participant the past 15 years.

Sporadic? More than anybody other than UConn. 7 in 15 years, 1 more than Notre Dame. That's hardly sporadic.

Reaction Score
They types of players being recruited out of high school has changed. Their priorities are not the same. Their, coming out of high school, skill level is higher than it was years ago so many feel they do not need as much development to be successful at the level after college. Stevens was one example. Her and Geno were not on the same page in respect to her developtment and that surprised Geno. She did not feel she needed one more year in the program to fulfill her what she felt was necessary to move on to the WNBA.

More players in the past would have wanted to fulfill their total potential. Those were the types of players that Geno recruited for the the program and in the past their were enough of them to fill the "Uconn type" of requirements to keep his program going. Today there are fewer and fewer who are willing to put in the time and effort required to fulfill the standards set for a player in the Uconn program. The increase of personal trainers, more high level high school programs and AAU teams has increased the skill level of players coming out of high school. The result is that there are more elite players available and that increases the parity in college. Having more top level coaches and programs as options, along with their increased level of personal skills out of high school makes developmental programs such as UConn not as important in young players eyes. They feel they will be able to succeed at the next level without having to commit to a difficult program like Uconn.

What many do not realize is that players have already committed a huge amount of time and effort in their basketball development even outside of high school and AAU. That is why some fans thought that Mo'ni had a shot at playing top level D1 ball without playing high level high school or AAU Ball. In todays high school basketball world that is near impossible. Those kids play year round and are constantly working on their skills with personal trainers. Many are already almost burned out with basketball having spent so much time and effort in their development. They feel they are ready for a break.

The one position group that still lags behind womens ball are the post players. They have always been underdeveloped in the womans game especially in high school. This is why elite ones are scarce and hard to come by out of high school. Rep does matter and when was the last time an elite post was seen to be a product of the Uconn system. Dolson! This is why Steven leaving early really hurt the program in more than just one way.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
these kids want stay home AND play, and not be embarrassed on social media

Reaction Score
these kids want stay home AND play, and not be embarrassed on social media
]
I wish Ms. Boston had wanted to stay close to home................unfortunately I think that rule mostly applies to Texas.................;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom