Women have come a long way | The Boneyard

Women have come a long way

Reaction Score
F5A3FEE3-2AB3-4C42-BF83-265CA30BCCC5.jpeg

Reaction Score
Yet high schools fielded girls basketball teams back then, only to drop programs later.

Reaction Score
Being paid in gold and silver must have been cool.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
"8 months" ?..........school got out in April?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You know, from reading some historical fiction stuff, that no marrying clause...yeah, good luck with that. Some of those little one room schools out in the country, I think the teachers got married about as fast as the school district could hire them. At least that's what Ivan Doig has led me to believe. Maybe it's just a Montana thing.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone has been in NYC recently, but this reminds me so much of What the Constitution Means to Me, an excellent play about both the triumph and tragedy of our Constitution and its history. It's insane to think that my grandmothers had to navigate a world like that, and even more insane to think that society at the time was fine with treating women like they had no autonomy. In these darker times, it's a good reminder how far we've come.

Reaction Score
Yup. Come a loooong way. My fourth grade teacher had to resign when her pregnancy showed (Richmond, Virginia, 1953) and female teachers could wear their warm pants to school but had to go directly to the women's room to change into skirts in Maine winters (1966).

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone has been in NYC recently, but this reminds me so much of What the Constitution Means to Me, an excellent play about both the triumph and tragedy of our Constitution and its history. It's insane to think that my grandmothers had to navigate a world like that, and even more insane to think that society at the time was fine with treating women like they had no autonomy. In these darker times, it's a good reminder how far we've come.

And what a long way we have to go....

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Ice cream parlors were my first step along the road to degradation. The Islays store in Dormont, Pa. was a den of iniquity for us young lads and lasses! :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ice cream parlors were my first step along the road to degradation. The Islays store in Dormont, Pa. was a den of iniquity for us young lads and lasses! :rolleyes:
Well at least it wasn't Pool. :cool:

Reaction Score
When I was in high school in Colorado I had several “spinster” teachers who began teaching in teens and early 20s and who never married. I liked teaching, one told me, and I was off the market so long it ceased to be an issue. She also coached the girl’s basketball team in 1920s where the players wore more clothes than a devout Muslim woman in Mecca.

Reaction Score
You know, from reading some historical fiction stuff, that no marrying clause...yeah, good luck with that. Some of those little one room schools out in the country, I think the teachers got married about as fast as the school district could hire them. At least that's what Ivan Doig has led me to believe. Maybe it's just a Montana thing.
Check the Little House books.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The one at the intersection of West Liberty and McFarland Road (the end of the line for the 42 streetcar)? I think it was spelled "Isaly's". (Dormont was my hometown, where I lived for the first 18 years of my life.)

How did you ever descend to the depths of being an Alabama fan? (I probably shouldn't ask.)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The one at the intersection of West Liberty and McFarland Road (the end of the line for the 42 streetcar)? I think it was spelled "Isaly's". (Dormont was my hometown, where I lived for the first 18 years of my life.)

How did you ever descend to the depths of being an Alabama fan? (I probably shouldn't ask.)
Yes at West Liberty and McFarland. Next to Mead's drugstore. And I am not necessarily an Alabama fan, but I have lived here for 34 years. When one moves to this state , they are encouraged to pick either Bama or Auburn. I resisted that for many years, but when my youngest decided to attend Alabama I was tipped in that direction. I suppose my screen name should be fan from Bama, as opposed to Bama fan. :)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Well at least it wasn't Pool. :cool:

The pool hall was about half a block from Islay's. It was , I guess, the second step on that road.;) I was never able to find a copy of Captain Billy's Whiz Bang so my jokes were not up to snuff. Otherwise that game with the fifteen numbered balls was indeed the devil's tool.

Last edited:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Anyone else have "you've come a long way, baby" words and tune go thru your mind. " you've got your own cigarette now , baby"...…… !
Virginia Slims in the 70s. Trying to ride the women's liberation waves.

Reaction Score
Snopes away, it is from Ohio Education Association, but is similar to contracts across the country. They different in certain matters but all seem sure that female teachers not frequent ice cream parlors. Why I have no guess. Men teachers had rules too, though not as severe. They could court one night a week, two if they were regular churchgoers, but were not allowed to be shaved in barber shops. Why again I have no idea. I have seen similar contracts from 1872 to 1915 and in the late 50s I had older female teachers who remembered them from their early days in schools. I can understand the skepticism but we were really that ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom