Women’s Basketball: Huskies begin to find their roles | The Boneyard

Women’s Basketball: Huskies begin to find their roles

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Women’s Basketball: Huskies begin to find their roles
Freshmen handling practice
“The upperclassmen have helped me a lot,” Williams said. “That’s why I have acclimated so well because they give me advice every day. We are like really good friends, teammates and sisters.”
“Sometimes it’s surreal just to be in this gym where so many great players have practiced,” Nelson-Ododa said. “You see the banners every single day- the All-Americans, Players of the Year, everything- it’s amazing. To have the opportunity to come here every single day to practice and coming here to work hard, it’s great.”
Megan Walker’s Progression
“I feel like I can finish around the basket a lot more efficiently and my three-point shot has increased,” Walker said. “I still have to work on defense, but just turning that corner and feeling more comfortable on the court, I feel like I can accomplish a lot of things.”
Team’s Expectations
“This team is really different,” Samuelson said. “We have a lot of players that don’t necessarily have experience playing in games and close games and tough situations, so we have a lot to kind of makeup for.”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some great quotes. One other item of note:

At the American Conference Media Day in October, Auriemma raved about Walker’s progression and the “need” for her to become the next great UConn player.

I'd LOVE for Walker to become the "next great UCONN player". I don't think she will ever be considered in the Maya/Dee/Stewie echelon, but if she manages to be as "good" as the next tier (Lobo, Jefferson, Charles, Bird, Sales, Abrosimova, etc), that would be spectacular.

From all we are hearing about Williams, I hope she becomes the next player to be discussed as a "finalist" for UCONN's Mt Rushmore...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with EricLA. How deep we go in the tournament depends on how MW and CW play. If both play like "next tier" stars (Bird, Lobo, to add to Eric's list), I think we can win the tournament, if (and that is a big, big if) we bring our A game in the Final Four, something, sadly, we did not do the last two years.

We shall see.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

At the American Conference Media Day in October, Auriemma raved about Walker’s progression and the “need” for her to become the next great UConn player.

I'd LOVE for Walker to become the "next great UCONN player". I don't think she will ever be considered in the Maya/Dee/Stewie echelon, but if she manages to be as "good" as the next tier (Jefferson, Charles, Sales, Abrosimova, etc), that would be spectacular.

From all we are hearing about Williams, I hope she becomes the next player to be discussed as a "finalist" for UCONN's Mt Rushmore...

Somebody should start a 2018 poll of who are the players currently enshrined on UConn's Mt. Rushmore. Before Christyn can be in the disscussion for a place on the mount, first she has to supplant or move ahead of those players already in line to get on the mount that didn't make it, i.e. players in the #5, 6, 7, and 8 places in line. If and when she gets to #5, then the debate can begin. :) In order for her to get on, someone has got to come off. Who will that be? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
“Just good leadership roles,” Williams said on what she learned from the seniors. “So that when I get older, I can do what they do and help the freshmen that’ll be here when I’m there.”

Isn't that just the real beauty of the women's game, right there? -- a few early departures to the W notwithstanding. And yes I know that number keeps growing , but it's nothing like it is at the top echelons of the men's game.

Reaction Score

I'd LOVE for Walker to become the "next great UCONN player". I don't think she will ever be considered in the Maya/Dee/Stewie echelon, but if she manages to be as "good" as the next tier (Jefferson, Charles, Bird, Sales, Abrosimova, etc), that would be spectacular.

I see Megan and Sue a bit differently, no disrespect, just my view:
If the words turn into actions and truths about CW they can start chipping rock.
I wouldn't sell Megan as a 2nd Tier just yet and it may be just me but I'd never sell Sue Bird as a Uconn 2nd Tier. When Uconn first Fab 5 plus 1 existed it was Sue I cheered. In her 3rd career as international/Olympic superstar there are few in the world better, but that's just me. I have no trouble putting Moriah in that box with Sue.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This was my favorite paragraph:

"Despite the fact that practices are so difficult, Williams looks forward to each and every practice because of the invaluable lessons head coach Geno Auriemma, the assistant coaches and teammates teach her."

I haven't been on the Williams bandwagon, but I think I have to join when she says she looks forward to the brutal practices because she's absorbing so much. That's a great attitude.

Reaction Score
Somebody should start a 2018 poll of who are the 4 players currently "etched in stone" on UConn's Mt. Rushmore. Before Christyn can be in the disscussion for a place on the mount. First she has to supplant or move ahead of those players already in line to get on the mount that didn't make it, i.e. players in the #5, 6, 7, and 8 places in line. If and when she gets to #5, then the debate can begin for her to take her "rightful" place on UConn's hallowed" mount. :) In order for her to get on, someone has got to come off. Who will that be? :eek:

Blame Geno for all the CW/Rushmore talk. I can only think that Stew was the last player Geno gushed this much over and before her Frosh year ended he was proven wonderfully correct
So how can we poor mortals not bow to the Masters Voice?
Now if she were a Megan, Gordon, or other we'd wait for the clay mock-up before getting excited.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Somebody should start a 2018 poll of who are the 4 players currently "etched in stone" on UConn's Mt. Rushmore. Before Christyn can be in the disscussion for a place on the mount. First she has to supplant or move ahead of those players already in line to get on the mount that didn't make it, i.e. players in the #5, 6, 7, and 8 places in line. If and when she gets to #5, then the debate can begin for her to take her "rightful" place on UConn's hallowed" mount. :) In order for her to get on, someone has got to come off. Who will that be? :eek:
There are 3 etched in stone. Most seem to feel Lobo is the 4th because she's probably the most important recruit in our history, not because she had the best UCONN career...

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I just want to ask each player—especially the freshmen—one question.

1540855746944.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Blame Geno for all the CW/Rushmore talk. I can only think that Stew was the last player Geno gushed this much over and before her Frosh year ended he was proven wonderfully correct
So how can we poor mortals not bow to the Masters Voice?
Now if she were a Megan, Gordon, or other we'd wait for the clay mock-up before getting excited.

I’m on record as drinking CW koolaid for the last 4-6 weeks. In Geno I trust. BTW, we now have confirmation that Christyn will be that 5th starter. The news 8 sports anchor confirms it. See this news 8 video.
Hey Christyn, BE FEARLESS!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'd LOVE for Walker to become the "next great UCONN player". I don't think she will ever be considered in the Maya/Dee/Stewie echelon, but if she manages to be as "good" as the next tier (Jefferson, Charles, Bird, Sales, Abrosimova, etc), that would be spectacular.

I love Megan and think she’ll be really good, but I would trade her for Mo, Sue, Tina, Sveta, AND Nykesha.

Seriously, if Meg is as good as anyone on that list, I’m happy.

Reaction Score
OK, here we go, which 3? :eek:
Not that crazy of the UConn fan, but do enjoy watching them second most. The three have to be Taursasi, Moore, and Stewart. While I don't agree with Lobo as the 4th, the possibilities are debatable.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I love Megan and think she’ll be really good, but I would trade her for Mo, Sue, Tina, Sveta, AND Nykesha.

If she is as good as any of them on that list, UConn will have a super team. Add that level player to Collier, Samuelson, and Dangerfield and there won't be any team, imo, with four players that good. Also, I believe there will be at least two to three bench players who will be good enough to give the starters a rest in prime time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Somebody should start a 2018 poll of who are the 4 players currently "etched in stone" on UConn's Mt. Rushmore. Before Christyn can be in the disscussion for a place on the mount, first she has to supplant or move ahead of those players already in line to get on the mount that didn't make it, i.e. players in the #5, 6, 7, and 8 places in line. If and when she gets to #5, then the debate can begin. :) In order for her to get on, someone has got to come off. Who will that be? :eek:
There are 3 etched in stone. Most seem to feel Lobo is the 4th because she's probably the most important recruit in our history, not because she had the best UCONN career...
OK, here we go, which 3? :eek:
Seriously Scoop? And my the way we have had many discussions on this.

After Taurasi, Moore, Stewart, it has come down to Lobo or Bird.

Interesting enough though, IIRC, there has been about a 60/40% split on UCONN's All Time starting 5.

Bird/Taurasi/Moore/Stewart/Charles vs Jefferson/Taurasi/Moore/Stewart/Charles

But this stuff is more for the off season. ;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Somebody should start a 2018 poll of who are the 4 players currently "etched in stone" on UConn's Mt. Rushmore. Before Christyn can be in the disscussion for a place on the mount, first she has to supplant or move ahead of those players already in line to get on the mount that didn't make it, i.e. players in the #5, 6, 7, and 8 places in line. If and when she gets to #5, then the debate can begin. :) In order for her to get on, someone has got to come off. Who will that be? :eek:
To paraphrase Roy Scheider, you're gonna need a bigger mountain! ;)

Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I see Megan and Sue a bit differently, no disrespect, just my view:
If the words turn into actions and truths about CW they can start chipping rock.
I wouldn't sell Megan as a 2nd Tier just yet and it may be just me but I'd never sell Sue Bird as a Uconn 2nd Tier. When Uconn first Fab 5 plus 1 existed it was Sue I cheered. In her 3rd career as international/Olympic superstar there are few in the world better, but that's just me. I have no trouble putting Moriah in that box with Sue.

Totally with you on this. Meg may be a Tuck. It's a between the ears thing, with no disrespect intended. Some are really good players because their mind set allows them to slow the game down to a point where they can get to where they are most effective in it. Others see the game from a broader perspective and can impose their will on it. Sue is the latter. I'd like Meg to be in that company, but confess my doubts. She can be an AA, but an uber AA not sure at all about that.

Reaction Score
Totally with you on this. Meg may be a Tuck. It's a between the ears thing, with no disrespect intended. Some are really good players because their mind set allows them to slow the game down to a point where they can get to where they are most effective in it. Others see the game from a broader perspective and can impose their will on it. Sue is the latter. I'd like Meg to be in that company, but confess my doubts. She can be an AA, but an uber AA not sure at all about that.
Without a doubt I agree. It is my belief that Megan came aboard the Geno train being saluted and with expectations, she was that good. I doubt she ever felt fear as a player before; not fear of the game, because it is her game but fear of all the expectations by me, Geno, and fans.
Going way out on a thin limb: Before the end of her Jr year she will be pushing to become a shirt hanging AA. Only MW holds back MW.

Reaction Score
I have confidence in Christyn. In fact, I’m working on my “Legendary” sign for Senior Night 2022.
The art of Positive Thinking! I'll supply to poster board.

You took the easy way out--current/past STARS. But your last sentence more than likely speaks for all Megan fans; we have super expectations with a tad of reality kicking our shins.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt I agree. It is my belief that Megan came aboard the Geno train being saluted and with expectations, she was that good. I doubt she ever felt fear as a player before; not fear of the game, because it is her game but fear of all the expectations by me, Geno, and fans.
Going way out on a thin limb: Before the end of her Jr year she will be pushing to become a shirt hanging AA. Only MW holds back MW.
I completely agree that things had always come so easy to MW that she wasn't quite ready for her freshman year but I have a feeling she got it together over the summer and is going to be the beast we thought she would be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom