WNBA vs. WCBB: Why The Negativity Towards The Pro League? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA vs. WCBB: Why The Negativity Towards The Pro League?

Reaction Score
I haven’t watched a Pro game in a long time. Great athletes doing their own thing but - for me- not exciting at all.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is a subsidized experiment in its 24th (?) year with a restrictive salary cap and roster limit. You see management make dumb moves almost on a monthly basis. Many fine WCBB players have no real shot at the WNBA. Attendance in the WNBA has stagnated. The players are fine, but it is hard to take the WNBA seriously.

Loved reading this thread. Lots of fine analysis.

I was very surprised to learn from the 30 for 30 film about the 1996 women's national team that even back then, American women were making a third of a million dollars and more playing in the European leagues. But now, a quarter century later, the WNBA is still paying peanuts for their summer league. Clearly, the European women's pro leagues have fixed on a commercial model that works for the fans and for the athletes. The WNBA? Not so much.

Perhaps time to cut ties with the NBA.

Reaction Score
No interest in the WNBA, save the UConn women, for the same reason I have no interest in the NBA! Articulated very well in many previous posts!

Reaction Score
I was very surprised to learn from the 30 for 30 film about the 1996 women's national team that even back then, American women were making a third of a million dollars and more playing in the European leagues. But now, a quarter century later, the WNBA is still paying peanuts for their summer league. Clearly, the European women's pro leagues have fixed on a commercial model that works for the fans and for the athletes. The WNBA? Not so much.

Most of the European teams draw less fans than the WNBA US teams. The difference is that outside of the US, most teams are supported by company funding. Not sure this model would have any traction here.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Most of the European teams draw less fans than the WNBA US teams. The difference is that outside of the US, most teams are supported by company funding. Not sure this model would have any traction here.
Funny how in other parts of the world having a good team is a point of pride, whereas in the US it's about making money. SMH

Reaction Score
Cities and universities also fund their teams. They do not have college teams in those sports, but rather simi pro and professional teams.

Reaction Score
Funny how in other parts of the world having a good team is a point of pride, whereas in the US it's about making money. SMH
And the teams over in Europe with the most money have the most pride.

Reaction Score
WNBA, NBA.................................no "old school tie".

Reaction Score

In Europe many teams are subsidized by cities or other public funds.

Reaction Score
I love watching the WNBA and will watch any game that is on. As a SC fan, my faves are the Wings and Aces. The basketball is incredible and I especially enjoy watching the individual players grow their game.

Reaction Score
I have a few thoughts on this:

1. I think the fact that they play in the summer is a big part of this. I realize why it's important to play in the summer, but if we could ever get to a point where salaries can compete with Europe and change the W calendar, I think that would help a lot.

2. College sports are just different. There is tradition, rivalries, the crowds are different, the fact that the bands are in the arenas, it's just a completely different atmosphere. And frankly, a far better one.

3. Someone else touched on this, but for me, the incessant bitching about the W, the travel, the salaries, the All-Star game MVP trophy, and all the other complaining they do, is just exhausting. Are they paid the way they/we want? No! Do any of them seem to have any concept of basic business? Also, no. You can't get blood from a rock, yet, the players seem to think you can. Now-I get why they do it, for change, but it just never ends. The players don't even seem to like the league even a little bit. They all come across as hating their jobs and are very public about it. I wish I had endorsement deals and was making $200,000/year at 26 years old.

4. The basketball is amazing and I really enjoy the W, but it doesn't even hold a candle to how much I enjoy college basketball.

5. This year has been especially hard for me to enjoy the WNBA because of the BG situation.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I enjoy the WNBA a lot, but for me personally it comes down to a lot of the sentiments echoed here:

1. The whining and general disdain for the league by the players, particularly the stars. Back in the day WNBA players absolutely loved the league and felt so fortunate to be able to play in the US. Now it feels like constant griping rather than hearing anything positive about the league. This year has been even worse with several stars bailing on their team mid season or demanding trades to specific teams and threatening to sit out. If all of them are so unhappy, I don't know why they don't play exclusively overseas where the money is better or find different careers they're more fulfilled by.

2. The lack of fan support. You get a big WCBB game and it's a packed house and incredible atmosphere. You just don't find that in the W besides some finals games.

3. More coaching/tradition in the college game. Coaches build brands collegiately and players are genuinely excited to play for their coach. In the WNBA you get a lot of inexperienced and just bad coaches who players aren't excited to play for. Players like Parker, Stewart and Taurasi should never be playing for clueless 1st year coaches 5+ years into the league. In regards to tradition, the fact that the Comets and Shock are no longer in the league is a travesty. Combine that with the Monarchs and you're missed 8 of the first 12 champions.

Reaction Score
I have a few thoughts on this:

1. I think the fact that they play in the summer is a big part of this. I realize why it's important to play in the summer, but if we could ever get to a point where salaries can compete with Europe and change the W calendar, I think that would help a lot.

2. College sports are just different. There is tradition, rivalries, the crowds are different, the fact that the bands are in the arenas, it's just a completely different atmosphere. And frankly, a far better one.

3. Someone else touched on this, but for me, the incessant bitching about the W, the travel, the salaries, the All-Star game MVP trophy, and all the other complaining they do, is just exhausting. Are they paid the way they/we want? No! Do any of them seem to have any concept of basic business? Also, no. You can't get blood from a rock, yet, the players seem to think you can. Now-I get why they do it, for change, but it just never ends. The players don't even seem to like the league even a little bit. They all come across as hating their jobs and are very public about it. I wish I had endorsement deals and was making $200,000/year at 26 years old.

4. The basketball is amazing and I really enjoy the W, but it doesn't even hold a candle to how much I enjoy college basketball.

5. This year has been especially hard for me to enjoy the WNBA because of the BG situation.

Your point #3 is reason #1 why I've stopped watching. I'm sick of the whining, moaning & bitching about how hard they have it. Yeah it must be tough making a 6 figure salary for 4 months of work. :rolleyes:

This present generation of players is spoiled & entitled, having received special treatment from a young age. Their ignorance of how business works and the history of women's professional sports in this country is appalling. I think it would do all of them a world of good if the WNBA had people like Nancy Lieberman, Dawn Staley and retiring pros Sue Bird & Syliva Fowles sit these young women down and give them an education on the evolution of the women's pro game in this country. It might open their eyes to reality- that the WNBA is still in the pioneering stage, still working to establish a permanent foothold in the American professional sports scene. We can argue until we're blue in the face as to whether this is "fair" or not but that's the truth.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My biggest problem with the WNBA is there is no longer a team in Charlotte. Sports is a lot more enjoyable (to me) when you have a local team to root for. When the Sting were down in Charlotte, I supported them. I convinced a friend to go down with me to the first ever home sting game. During halftime a local TV station came up to me for an interview. They wanted to hear from a male fan on why I was attending a WNBA game. I told them I've been a fan of women's basketball since I was a youngster, and the league would give me a chance to watch my favorite college players on a professional level. Since the Sting went out of existence, I just root for Duke, Wake, and High Point players... and my favorite team is whatever team Chelsea Gray plays on. :)

Reaction Score
1. The whining and general disdain for the league by the players, particularly the stars. Back in the day WNBA players absolutely loved the league and felt so fortunate to be able to play in the US. Now it feels like constant griping rather than hearing anything positive about the league. This year has been even worse with several stars bailing on their team mid season or demanding trades to specific teams and threatening to sit out. If all of them are so unhappy, I don't know why they don't play exclusively overseas where the money is better or find different careers they're more fulfilled by.
What you posted there resonates with me. I initially watched the WNBA a great deal when it debuted, in part because it was basketball in the summer and I don't care for MLB. I watched closely for a few years then drifted away. It was only since being a regular on the board and the summer of 2020 in the bubble I've paid close attention again. The amount of complaining and teeth gnashing about the league from its players is a huge turnoff. I get they want more money, better travel conditions, and the chance to win games but some of them act as though they would rather just not worry about the WNBA. Well, then they should just play overseas and rest in the summer.

I feel the same way about the NBA and guys who make obscene amounts of money to be entertainers who likewise complain about every little nuance of the league and their lives.

Reaction Score
Liz Cambage, James Harden, Trevor Bauer, and DeShaun Watson, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong, Roger Clemens. All absolutely personify the entitled arrogant hypocrisy that is prevalent in (especially) the NBA and the WNBA and unfortunately, beginning to manifest in other pro sports as well! Of course, the owners, unions, agents and Franchises that enable and tolerate this kind of behavior are almost as bad. I realize I’ve lumped together a wide range of misbehaviors above and am not suggesting that arrogance and entitlement are equal to some of the absolutely criminal and disgusting actions of some. However, in my humble opinion, most of the behaviors that are represented in the (very small) list above, all have their genesis in the idea that they are somehow better, and not bound to follow the same standards as the rest of us. I used to be an avid pro sports fan but I have become so disgusted with it that I rarely even think about it anymore. Judging from the tanking of their ratings, I’m pretty sure many others (to varying degrees) feel the same!

Reaction Score
Hmmm … I think people generally like to watch the very best players sometimes, and women are not that. Men are.

People also love to root for laundry (their college team or country) though. So it is fun and exciting to watch college basketball, both men’s and women’s.

I’m sure the NBA developmental league (g-league?) would smoke both WNBA and MCBB teams, but nobody cares about them. They don’t have strong ties to anyone. No strong ties, nor are they the very best. NBA is.

Same with women’s soccer. USWNT (and men’s) is a blast since they represent the US, but beyond World Cup or Olympics, I want to watch the very best. That isn’t a women’s league. Nor is it the MLS. I’d watch the EPL or similar.

In the end, I generally will watch the very best or I will watch something that has a close connection to me. I don’t think the WNBA is either for most people.

Reaction Score
Liz Cambage, James Harden, Trevor Bauer, and DeShaun Watson, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong, Roger Clemens. All absolutely personify the entitled arrogant hypocrisy that is prevalent in (especially) the NBA and the WNBA and unfortunately, beginning to manifest in other pro sports as well! Of course, the owners, unions, agents and Franchises that enable and tolerate this kind of behavior are almost as bad. I realize I’ve lumped together a wide range of misbehaviors above and am not suggesting that arrogance and entitlement are equal to some of the absolutely criminal and disgusting actions of some. However, in my humble opinion, most of the behaviors that are represented in the (very small) list above, all have their genesis in the idea that they are somehow better, and not bound to follow the same standards as the rest of us. I used to be an avid pro sports fan but I have become so disgusted with it that I rarely even think about it anymore. Judging from the tanking of their ratings, I’m pretty sure many others (to varying degrees) feel the same!

Another great point. I think people really are just fed up with the arrogance of many athletes and with the weak response of colleges, franchises, leagues etc. when they break the rules or even the law.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom