WNBA Transactions thru May 5, 2018 | The Boneyard

WNBA Transactions thru May 5, 2018

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks! I’m not surprised by many of the waivers, but there are a few interesting items, in my opinion:

Blake Dietrick (Princeton) is trying again, with Atlanta.

Jackie Gemelos trying again, with Vegas.

Marissa Coleman was waived.

Alexis Peterson was waived after Seattle drafted Jordan Canada.

Amber Harris was waived again. I thought she had pro potential when she was at Xavier.

Reaction Score
Any idea why Rebecca Greenwell “suspended” for the year? I’m thinking maybe injury related?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Any idea why Rebecca Greenwell “suspended” for the year? I’m thinking maybe injury related?
I think she reported an injury shortly after her final Duke game. I think Triad will know.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

She played with a nagging knee injury this past season..... missed about 5 games in December...... and the Louisville game in January. Toughed it out... and had surgery on it after the season was over.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks! I’m not surprised by many of the waivers, but there are a few interesting items, in my opinion:

Amber Harris was waived again. I thought she had pro potential when she was at Xavier.
a lot of unemployed talent

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Sparks, on their website, list 20 on their training-camp roster. There are, or have been, several others not listed (Brooke McCarty, e. g.). I find it bizarre that they have invited twice as many to training camp as they can possibly keep on the roster. The Wings, OTOH, have 16 total.

Anyone have any insight or care to comment?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Sparks, on their website, list 20 on their training-camp roster. There are, or have been, several others not listed (Brooke McCarty, e. g.). I find it bizarre that they have invited twice as many to training camp as they can possibly keep on the roster. The Wings, OTOH, have 16 total.

I think the roster limit has been back at 12 for a couple of years. Most teams have about 9-11 set roster spots, so they are looking to add maybe 1-3 players. If they go to 20, some of those have little chance of getting picked up. Teams may also bring back players in case of injury (Lindsay Allen was picked up by NY last year after Brittany Boyd’s injury), so identifying players 13-15 in case of injury would be prudent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. By the final cut down date of May 17, 5:00 pm est, we're going to see a lot of familiar names on the wavier wire. In some cases talent is a factor, in others, economic$. Rookies and 2nd /3rd year players make less $$ than 5/6+ year players. There will be some veteran reserve players walking the plank in the next 10 days. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't followed her professional career, but Jillian Alleyne was outstanding in college. I'm surprised to see she is a marginal WNBA player. I thought she was the next best thing to Chiney Ogwumike.

edited--she got picked up by Minnesota a few days after she got cut by New York I think it was, maybe she'll catch on

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I haven't followed her professional career, but Jillian Alleyne was outstanding in college. I'm surprised to see she is a marginal WNBA player. I thought she was the next best thing to Chiney Ogwumike.

edited--she got picked up by Minnesota a few days after she got cut by New York I think it was, maybe she'll catch on
She's only been back from ACL rehab for about a year now. Every case is very different, and sometimes the ACL thing a long time to fully get over, even after being cleared, and even then it's a cross-the-fingers type of thing. I wish her the best.

Reaction Score

Each team is allowed to have 15 players active in training camp at any one time. Because at least 5 players on that list of 20 you see are still playing overseas or recovering from playing overseas, teams will often invite players who didn’t get drafted in for an audition and to fill in as practice players. Rarely do these undrafted rookie camp invites actually make the team, but it’s worth a shot to them and they get the experience.

These are the players who were listed as inactive for the Sparks preseason game yesterday:

Sparks: #5 Jolene Anderson, #0 Alana Beard, #23 Ana Dabovic, #12 Chelsea Gray, #42 Jantel Lavender, #30 Nneka Ogwumike, Maria Vadeeva, #2 Riquna Williams

Alana Beard is done overseas but apparently she has some kind of minor injury.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I wasn't familiar with her (should have been) but I think NY is fairly loaded with forwards and posts so I can see how she would be waived there -- who knows, maybe she finds a spot with Minny. Certainly sounds like someone who could stick around in the league if only rosters weren't limited to 12.

I count 10 players that are either certain or highly likely to make the roster, with 2 of these being Fagbenle and Kizer. However there are two Italian players who might stick around as well. They both signed contracts but I don't know if they were training camp contracts or what.

I think if Alleyne really impresses the staff, she could make it. But it's a tough road in the W. She should get a good look in their next pre-season game.

Reaction Score
Minnesota sounds like they have a cap issue, so they may have to start out with 11 players for about a month until they can afford to add a 12th player. If they start out with 11, that means they’ll only go with 4 post players: Fowles, Brunson, Kizer, Fagbenle, and Maya would act as an emergency backup post. I can’t see Alleyne cracking the 11 player lineup, but if she makes a great quick impression in the next two weeks, MAYBE they’ll have her back when the Lynx can afford to have 12 players. That’s a mighty big maybe because there are going to be a lot of players hitting the waiver wire in the next couple of weeks and some of them will be decent because there are just not enough open roster spots.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Each team is allowed to have 15 players active in training camp at any one time. Because at least 5 players on that list of 20 you see are still playing overseas or recovering from playing overseas, teams will often invite players who didn’t get drafted in for an audition and to fill in as practice players. Rarely do these undrafted rookie camp invites actually make the team, but it’s worth a shot to them and they get the experience.

Thanks very much; I didn't know a lot of this.

The Wings haven't put Theresa Plaisance on the suspended list. I thought she tore her ACL last fall. It seems like wishful thinking if they think they might get something positive out of her this year. They have a lot of 4/5 players, so they could certainly absorb the loss better than would have been the case the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
upload_2018-5-9_21-9-18.jpeg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Saw on a Gonzaga board that Jill Barta has been cut by the Lynx, as well as a couple other players. Vionese Pierre-Louis was one of them and maybe a Richarson?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Minnesota sounds like they have a cap issue, so they may have to start out with 11 players for about a month until they can afford to add a 12th player. If they start out with 11, that means they’ll only go with 4 post players: Fowles, Brunson, Kizer, Fagbenle, and Maya would act as an emergency backup post. I can’t see Alleyne cracking the 11 player lineup, but if she makes a great quick impression in the next two weeks, MAYBE they’ll have her back when the Lynx can afford to have 12 players. That’s a mighty big maybe because there are going to be a lot of players hitting the waiver wire in the next couple of weeks and some of them will be decent because there are just not enough open roster spots.

The Lynx and the Sparks are the two oldest and mature teams in the league, and the hardest roster to make if you're a rookie.

Reaction Score
I dont really follow the W but was a little surprised by this -- wasnt she a 1st team AA?

That was an old waiver. The Liberty have signed her and she has played well in preseason.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I dont really follow the W but was a little surprised by this -- wasnt she a 1st team AA?
Pretty streaky player in the WNBA and seems to be declining in skill. To give you an idea about her contributions over time, here is her yearly PER (league average set to 15):

2017: 5.9
2016: 9.8
2015: 14.3
2014: 13.3
2013: 11.7
2012: 8.2
2011: 11.6
2010: 13.8
2009: 10.8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online