WNBA Transactions: Cappie signs with L.A. | The Boneyard

WNBA Transactions: Cappie signs with L.A.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Cappie signs with the Sparks -- looks to close out her career in her home state

In other news, Minny has been active of late:

Natasha Howard was traded to Seattle for draft picks (including the right to swap 1st round picks in 2019)

Lynetta Kizer was signed , bolstering the Lynx's interior and adding depth behind Rebekkah Brunson

Mostly likely, Minny now targets a guard in the 1st round of the upcoming draft to help make up for the loss of Renee Montgomery and Jia Perkins. Alexis Jones should have a real opportunity to show what she can do this year. She showed a few flashes of excellent play last year. They need more.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Cappie has a lot of homes. She went to Rutgers, so the Liberty were sort of a "home" team for her. She was raised in Chicago, so that was described as "coming home". Now this.

Coming off the bench for a championship contender is a good spot for Cappie at this point of her career. Her PER went from 15.2 to 9.1 last year. Allie Quigley was just better than her, which a few years ago would have been crazy to imagine, but here we are. Cappie can still have nights when she is "on", though, and could be a valuable asset off the bench.

Meanwhile, Chicago could be looking at filling that spot with a draft pick (Diamond?) anyway.

Reaction Score
Cappie signs with the Sparks -- looks to close out her career in her home state

In other news, Minny has been active of late:

Natasha Howard was traded to Seattle for draft picks (including the right to swap 1st round picks in 2019)

Lynetta Kizer was signed , bolstering the Lynx's interior and adding depth behind Rebekkah Brunson

Mostly likely, Minny now targets a guard in the 1st round of the upcoming draft to help make up for the loss of Renee Montgomery and Jia Perkins. Alexis Jones should have a real opportunity to show what she can do this year. She showed a few flashes of excellent play last year. They need more.

In the post, the Lynx lost Pierson to retirement and they traded Howard for a 2nd round pick. And they added Kizer who they have to hope stays healthy. Then they added a French player who you never know what you’ll be getting. I’d say that’s a net negative for “bolstering” that interior.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In the post, the Lynx lost Pierson to retirement and they traded Howard for a 2nd round pick. And they added Kizer who they have to hope stays healthy. Then they added a French player who you never know what you’ll be getting. I’d say that’s a net negative for “bolstering” that interior.

I think that they didn't see Howard as a strong inside presence as much as a long 3, who could score and rebound but not really bang with the opposing bigs. At least that's how I look at it.

Health issues aside, adding Kizer in and of itself is a move to bolster the interior, IMO. You're right, I had forgotten about Pierson so it's mostly to take PP's place although Kizer has more size. I will have to look into Kizer's health issues (haven't followed her that closely).

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
WNBA Transactions -
Keep up to date on the latest transactions with WNBA.com’s Transactions page. As front offices around the league make moves leading up to and throughout the 2018 season, this page will stand as your go-to source for all of the latest transactions, including trades, signings and player releases. This link is current through the end of the business day yesterday 2/13/18

[Link]

Reaction Score
I think that they didn't see Howard as a strong inside presence as much as a long 3, who could score and rebound but not really bang with the opposing bigs. At least that's how I look at it.

Health issues aside, adding Kizer in and of itself a move to bolster the interior, IMO. You're right, I had forgotten about Pierson so it's mostly to take PP's place although Kizer has more size. I will have to look into Kizer's health issues (haven't followed her that closely).
Kizer was a great presence for the Sun. She's a big body and plays as a real force to be reckoned with. Nevertheless, I recently looked at the stats she put up for them and was surprised that they were not great. I liked her and will miss her, but I think Curt Miller knows what he is doing. That said, Cheryl Reeves has a way of getting the best out of players, so it will probably work out well for the Lynx too.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Kizer was a great presence for the Sun. She's a big body and plays as a real force to be reckoned with. Nevertheless, I recently looked at the stats she put up for them and was surprised that they were not great. I liked her and will miss her, but I think Curt Miller knows what he is doing. That said, Cheryl Reeves has a way of getting the best out of players, so it will probably work out well for the Lynx too.

Roger, what makes you think Miller did anything with regard to Kizer going to the Lynx? She was an Unrestricted Free Agent. Do you mean that he didn't offer enough money to her to keep her? I guess we'll never know what offers were made and rejected. Looks to me like just another case of a free agent not wanting to spend summers in Uncasville, exiting as soon as she could. I was watching her decision closely as a test case for Miller's hope that the Sun's culture and locker room would be attractive enough to offset the team's location. It wasn't... again.

The only UFA the Sun have signed is Stricklen. She really loves her teammates and has stated the she's not a city kid and kinda likes the quiet surroundings here. Rare.

I was thrilled when the Sun signed Lynetta. She started the season hitting for double figures in 4 of the first 6 game, but then she was injured a lot and never really was the impact player off the bench that I expected (played 20 games, averaging 11.9 minutes in those game). The injury was not her fault, but she was a disappointment during the season, and now.

So as far as post players go, the Sun lose Kizer and Pedersen, return Chiney, acquire George via trade, and sign Griffin to a training camp contract... not exactly tearing up the signing period so far. Looking forward to draft night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Roger, what makes you think Miller did anything with regard to Kizer going to the Lynx? She was an Unrestricted Free Agent. Do you mean that he didn't offer enough money to her to keep her? I guess we'll never know what offers were made and rejected. Looks to me like just another case of a free agent not wanting to spend summers in Uncasville, exiting as soon as she could. I was watching her decision closely as a test case for Miller's hope that the Sun's culture and locker room would be attractive enough to offset the team's location. It wasn't... again.

The only UFA the Sun have signed is Stricklen. She really loves her teammates and has stated the she's not a city kid and kinda likes the quiet surroundings here. Rare.

I was thrilled when the Sun signed Lynetta. She started the season hitting for double figures in 4 of the first 6 game, but then she was injured a lot and never really was the impact player off the bench that I expected (played 20 games, averaging 11.9 minutes in those game). The injury was not her fault, but she was a disappointment during the season, and now.

So as far as post players go, the Sun lose Kizer and Pedersen, return Chiney, acquire George via trade, and sign Griffin to a training camp contract... not exactly tearing up the signing period so far. Looking forward to draft night.
I am surmising that Miller didn't offer her what she wanted and then with the signing of Cayla George, another post player, he was sending the signal that he was moving on. Perhaps I assume too much.

Where did you get the news that they lost Pedersen? I hadn't seen that. But even if they did, Griffin is a similar player and by some accounts much improved. Apparently she has been doing well oversees. The Sun are not tearing up the free agency market, but they should be fine with what they are retaining. And Leticia Romero might be a nice addition.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I am surmising that Miller didn't offer her what she wanted and then with the signing of Cayla George, another post player, he was sending the signal that he was moving on. Perhaps I assume too much.

Where did you get the news that they lost Pedersen? I hadn't seen that. But even if they did, Griffin is a similar player and by some accounts much improved. Apparently she has been doing well oversees. The Sun are not tearing up the free agency market, but they should be fine with what they are retaining. And Leticia Romero might be a nice addition.

Like I said, we may never know the inside details on Kizer's leaving, but it is a familiar pattern in Uncasville. Miller has a salary cap to work with and he can't throw money around indiscriminately. Given their loaded roster, I doubt the Lynx were able to offer her more than the Sun could. I figure that if Lynetta wanted to be here, she would be.

Ned Griffen quoted Miller regarding Pedersen in a New London Day article... "[Kayla] told the team after last season that she may 'chase some dreams and aspirations outside of hoops,' Miller said. I am assuming that Miller would not say such a thing for a 2/1/18 article if he had a suspicion Kayla decided to return after all. We'll know for sure when training camp opens.

So it's probably Griffin and George for Pedersen and Kizer. Assuming everyone in good shape injury-wise I'd prefer Pedersen/Kizer but it's the W and we move on and try not to look back. Maybe we find a gem with that 9th pick.

We'll see how Kelsey is doing in May... She missed most of her WNBL season due to injury and as of now she is still rehabbing from hip surgery. She expects to be ready for camp. After 3 years happily away from the WNBA, I wonder if she's seeking a spot just to compensate for not earning any money in Australia this season. IF she's healthy, and IF she can shake the rust off in the short training camp weeks, she will fit in with the Sun culture and style well. Kelsey was always a high energy player who made a lot of non-box score contributions by sheer blue collar hustle.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom