WNBA Top Rookies

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Top Preseason Rookies:

Jordin Canada (16.0pts/3.0asts/3.0stls)
A’ja Wilson (14.5pts/9.5rebs/2.0asts)
Kia Nurse (14.5pts/3.0rebs/1.0asts)
Stephanie Mavunga (11.0pts/6.0rebs/1.0blks)
Azura Stevens (10.3pts/5.7rebs/1.0stls)
Shakayla Thomas (9.3pts/4.7rebs/0.7stls)

Courtesy of @WnbaHoopz

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Top Preseason Rookies:

Courtesy of @WnbaHoopz

A quick informal poll - Who do you think will be the 2018 WNBA rookie of the year?

Right now in the preseason, A'ja Wilson looks like a viable candidate. We can do this poll again at the halfway mark of the season (17 games). The cream will have risen to the top by then, and the leading candidate for ROY should stand out like a 6 footer at a small person's convention. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
A quick informal poll - Who do you think will be the 2018 WNBA rookie of the year?

Right now in the preseason, A'ja Wilson looks like a viable candidate. We can do this poll again at the halfway mark of the season (17 games). The cream will have risen to the top by then.

It’s unusual for the Rookie of the Year not to have the most minutes on the court or close to it. A’ja Wilson is the only lock to be a starter that I can see. Vivians might end up starting for IND since they got rid of Coleman, but I thought it was interesting she didn’t start in the last preseason game. Bird will still start in SEA. If there are injuries and a rookie has a chance to step up, they could be a candidate. Wilson is the most obvious choice to me.

Reaction Score
I agree with Shades.

Teams like LA, Minn, and Conn have a ton of veterans that will start and run the show. Teams that were on the bottom half of the standings last year will more than likely produce the rookie of the year. Aja will get the minutes to put up the stats to prove it. I will be surprised if she doesn't win it.

Reaction Score
Now if Wilson can average 20 ppg, then we’re talking maybe the first rookie MVP since Candace Parker in 2008 (rigged for her to win btw).
The thing about MVP though is you can’t be on a team with a losing record. That would set a new precedence.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I expect that A'ja will win the ROY award. She may not have the best career of this year's rookies, but she gives Vegas what they need and will have lots of opportunity to amass solid stats. Of course, she needs to stay healthy.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Right now in the preseason, A'ja Wilson looks like a viable candidate. We can do this poll again at the halfway mark of the season (17 games). The cream will have risen to the top by then, and the leading candidate for ROY should stand out like a 6 footer at a small person's convention. ;)

Gotta be Wilson. She’s in a good position to be the focal point of her team and should start from the get go. She’s also by far the most WNBA ready player this class has IMO.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Top Preseason Rookies:

Courtesy of @WnbaHoopz

Solid numbers there. Curious to see what kind of role those players have once the season starts. Not sure anyone starts besides Wilson. Give it a couple of years though and I think a lot of these players will be starters, and good ones at that.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Now if Wilson can average 20 ppg, then we’re talking maybe the first rookie MVP since Candace Parker in 2008 (rigged for her to win btw).
The thing about MVP though is you can’t be on a team with a losing record. That would set a new precedence.

I don’t see her winning MVP or being any sort of contender unless the Aces someone transform into one of the best teams in the league and Wilson is the centerpiece.

Wilson is also far from being the caliber of player Parker was. Not nearly as skilled or polished as Candace was out of college.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think A’ja will be a solid player, but she doesn’t seem like an MVP-caliber player to me. Candace, Nneka, Maya, Tina, Sylvia, and Elena are still at the top of their games.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think A’ja will be a solid player, but she doesn’t seem like an MVP-caliber player to me. Candace, Nneka, Maya, Tina, Sylvia, and Elena are still at the top of their games.

Agreed. Should also include Stewart in that mix. A'ja reminds me a lot of Tina Charles coming out of college. Lots of good post moves, good length, high motor, midrange ability (even if it isn't super consistent), good finisher but does miss her share of chippies, good rebounder, and a good defensive presence. Tina has worked hard and has become a very good passer as well as more consistent in the midrange and from the perimeter. She still isn't the most efficient player offensively, but she's made huge strides in her game and is a consistent top 5-10 player even though few consider the best player in the league. I think A'ja's upside is similar to Tina's, but I expect she'll have her ups and downs going up adjusting going up against bigger, stronger, and more polished players than she has seen in college.

Reaction Score
I have never liked A'ja Wilson as a player but agree with those above she has the best chance of all the rookies to gather stats to be Rookie of the Year!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agreed. Should also include Stewart in that mix. A'ja reminds me a lot of Tina Charles coming out of college. Lots of good post moves, good length, high motor, midrange ability (even if it isn't super consistent), good finisher but does miss her share of chippies, good rebounder, and a good defensive presence. Tina has worked hard and has become a very good passer as well as more consistent in the midrange and from the perimeter. She still isn't the most efficient player offensively, but she's made huge strides in her game and is a consistent top 5-10 player even though few consider the best player in the league. I think A'ja's upside is similar to Tina's, but I expect she'll have her ups and downs going up adjusting going up against bigger, stronger, and more polished players than she has seen in college.
Oops, I meant to include Stewie along with the past MVPs.

I see A'ja's upside below Tina's, but we'll see over time. I'd like to see AW develop her right hand and improve the 15' jumper. I think that Tina's jump hook is the best shot in the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom