WNBA Thread - Post Olympics | Page 10 | The Boneyard

WNBA Thread - Post Olympics

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
No matter how bad the coaching is, if you have the best player on the planet and the best point guard of all time, and another really good player in Loyd, those players need to make winning plays at the end of close games. They haven't been doing that. Obviously moot today. Ran into a buzzsaw, Chicago couldn't miss and Seattle couldn't play up to their level. Whatever starting lineup they trotted out wouldn't have made any difference.

It was mostly Parker and Sloot running wild in the decisive first half, so whoever was primarily guarding them didn't do much of a job.

Reaction Score
I do wonder if Kloppenburg had any desire to be head coach on a permanent basis. He is actually older than Hughes and would be 69 before the start of next season.

Reaction Score
No matter how bad the coaching is, if you have the best player on the planet and the best point guard of all time, and another really good player in Loyd, those players need to make winning plays at the end of close games. They haven't been doing that. Obviously moot today. Ran into a buzzsaw, Chicago couldn't miss and Seattle couldn't play up to their level. Whatever starting lineup they trotted out wouldn't have made any difference.

It was mostly Parker and Sloot running wild in the decisive first half, so whoever was primarily guarding them didn't do much of a job.
The one change that has to be made is Russell, great person, but not really good at anything. You can't win a Championship with someone starting who is average or below in scoring, rebounding and defense.
She isn't going to improve enough to win championships. She is a good back up for. 10-15 minutes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I do wonder if Kloppenburg had any desire to be head coach on a permanent basis. He is actually older than Hughes and would be 69 before the start of next season.

Fair question, which is why I suggested giving Klopp the job for a year or two with Quinn as the coach-in-waiting. He did a great job in the bubble last year. Then again, perhaps he didn't want the job even for a year or two. We're left speculating what went in to naming Quinn the head coach.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The one change that has to be made is Russell, great person, but not really good at anything. You can't win a Championship with someone starting who is average or below in scoring, rebounding and defense.
She isn't going to improve enough to win championships. She is a good back up for. 10-15 minutes.
I often don't see what you see. Russell has been abused recently by Big Syl and Parker, but generally she's a decent defender. She's currently leading the team in FG% by a wide margin, 2nd in rebounding and tied w/ KLS for 4th in scoring. I am absolutely not convinced that switching Russell and Magbegor would make much difference. If Russell is a questionable starter for the Storm, you have to admit KLS is as well. The 3 spot is every bit or more worrisome than the 5.

Reaction Score
I often don't see what you see. Russell has been abused recently by Big Syl and Parker, but generally she's a decent defender. She's currently leading the team in FG% by a wide margin, 2nd in rebounding and tied w/ KLS for 4th in scoring. I am absolutely not convinced that switching Russell and Magbegor would make much difference. If Russell is a questionable starter for the Storm, you have to admit KLS is as well. The 3 spot is every bit or more worrisome than the 5.
I won't disagree on the 3 spot, but I suggested before they should have picked up a center, and let Stewie play the 3. With Russell at center, even though she shoots well, she is unable to get many shots, no real offensive game.
Looking at team stats going back to Stewie's 1st year. From highest to lowest for Field goal percentage.
2017-.47.3
2020-.47.0
2018-.46.8
2016-.45.7
2021-.44.8
2018-.42.0
The 2 worst years are this year and 2018, both years Russell was starting center.
If Russell is playing center, would rather have Stewie, and Ezi playing with her like Connecticut does, and Las Vegas has their big lineup. If Lou ever refinds her shooting stroke, the she can be in the mix.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I won't disagree on the 3 spot, but I suggested before they should have picked up a center, and let Stewie play the 3. With Russell at center, even though she shoots well, she is unable to get many shots, no real offensive game.
Looking at team stats going back to Stewie's 1st year. From highest to lowest for Field goal percentage.
2017-.47.3
2020-.47.0
2018-.46.8
2016-.45.7
2021-.44.8
2018-.42.0
The 2 worst years are this year and 2018, both years Russell was starting center.
If Russell is playing center, would rather have Stewie, and Ezi playing with her like Connecticut does, and Las Vegas has their big lineup. If Lou ever refinds her shooting stroke, the she can be in the mix.
The numbers seem to be backing you up, but you have to take both of those low marks w/ a big grain of salt. One of the seasons was with Stewie and Bird out injured, and the other year was after losing 2 starters in Clark and Howard and the top reserve in Whitcomb. In other words, probably a lot of reasons the team FG% was low those seasons, Russell being the starting center might not be the real reason.

Reaction Score
The numbers seem to be backing you up, but you have to take both of those low marks w/ a big grain of salt. One of the seasons was with Stewie and Bird out injured, and the other year was after losing 2 starters in Clark and Howard and the top reserve in Whitcomb. In other words, probably a lot of reasons the team FG% was low those seasons, Russell being the starting center might not be the real reason.
They need to have someone else besides Stewie to be a double figure scorer in the frontcourt. Whether it is Lou or Ezi, one of them has to play and give Seattle a 4th option.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
JJ has to be front runner for MVP. First half has been almost flawless. 21 pts (7-8 2-3 from 3) (5-6 FT) 6 RB 2 BS

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Revenge game for Lauren Cox? She has 14 on 6-7 shooting against the Fever, I'm guessing that's a career high for her. Late in Q4, Sparks leading. The playoff chase w/ 4 teams vying for the last 2 spots is mildly interesting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dangerfield back in the starting lineup. Is Clarendon injured? Hasn't played yet, just about halftime. Ionesu on triple double watch.

edit--no Fowles either: McBride is going off

edit #2--Whitcomb is back already, but only played 2 minutes

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oof, LA goes scoreless over the last 3 minutes after being up by 8, loses by 2. Like I keep saying, nobody really seems to want #7 and #8 seed in the playoffs. Look out Atlanta, Indiana has you in their sights!

Reaction Score
Dangerfield back in the starting lineup. Is Clarendon injured? Hasn't played yet, just about halftime. Ionesu on triple double watch.

edit--no Fowles either: McBride is going off

edit #2--Whitcomb is back already, but only played 2 minutes

Both Fowles and Clarendon are out with injuries

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Fowles - shoulder

Clarendon - lower leg
Dantas went out early in the second half with a foot injury, too. Sounds like Fowles will be back soon; Clarendon has a stress reaction and she's in a boot, so she might be awhile. Too early to say about Dantas.

Shepard has needed floor time, and she got it. She looked good to me; 8 rebounds, good defense, and one picture-perfect dime to McBride.

This was a tough win for the Lynx; they gutted it out.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Dantas went out early in the second half with a foot injury, too. Sounds like Fowles will be back soon; Clarendon has a stress reaction and she's in a boot, so she might be awhile. Too early to say about Dantas.

Shepard has needed floor time, and she got it. She looked good to me; 8 rebounds, good defense, and one picture-perfect dime to McBride.

This was a tough win for the Lynx; they gutted it out.
Pheesa got her rebounding mojo back with Fowles out . 21 pts and 14 reb. (4OReb). But I found it weird that she took Pheesa out of the game in crunch time with 1' 30'' left. Sometimes too cavalier with the ball?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UConn on UConn abuse: Stefanie Dolson leveled Kia Nurse with a pick. Nurse shook it off and she's having the best game she's had in a while.
Azure looking good for Chi. Skylar is really putting the Mercury on her back with DT and BG just average. Triple Double possibility.

Edit. in 4th Q, alot of Mercury players coming alive. DT, BG, Kia Nurse

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom