WNBA Standings Predictions | The Boneyard

WNBA Standings Predictions

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This year feels like a total crapshoot to me since there are so many top players missing. I'll take a stab though:

1. Washington-on paper they look quite solid with EDD, Messemann, Atkins and Toliver. Coming off a WNBA Finals run.

2. Los Angeles-could be a bit of a traffic jam with the Ogwumikes and Parker upfront (not to mention Brown/Lavender), but they still have Gray/Beard in the backcourt. Chemistry seemed off last season, will they improve? The talent is there.

3. Las Vegas-another team that looks great on paper even if the Cambage deal falls through. A'ja could be an MVP candidate, McBride is a top notch SG, Plum probably the best young PG, and Young the #1 pick. Can they all work together?

4. Atlanta-good lineup even without Angel. Extremely athletic but on paper they aren't the 4th best team. I thought the team was better than the sum of its parts last year. Question is, will they have the same chemistry this season?

5. Seattle-losing Stewart hurts big time but there is still good talent on the roster with Loyd, Bird and Howard up front. Very good coaching and Seattle was far and away the top team in the league last year. Could be in the title hunt if Loyd becomes more consistent.

6. Connecticut-no Chiney but I think they're better off without her to be honest. JJ played better without her in the lineup and the same core is back from their overachieving 2017 squad.

7. Phoenix-even without DT to start the year they still have BG and Bonner. January and Carson are solid glue players too.

8. Minnesota-no Maya or Whalen but they still have Big Syl. Minnesota looks like a middle of the pack team to me.

9. Chicago-Deshields taking the next step and elevating her game could bring Chicago back into the playoffs. Vandersloot is a great PG but this team doesn't play any defense. Samuelson is good and will fit in well with the run and gun style of play but I think unless they learn to defend they'll be a bottle tier squad.

10. New York-they were horrendous last year and I'm not sure they'll be any better this season. Nurse or Durr becoming a reliable 2nd scorer will be huge to take the load off Tina but I'm not sure it happens this year.

11. Indiana-they need K. Mitchell to have improved big time and for Big T to make an impact from the get go. Should still be a bottom feeder but will have a formidable roster next season if they can land Sabrina and bring back a healthy Vic Vivians.

12. Dallas-they are lacking star power big time if they don't get a decent trade for Liz and she sits out.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Dallas does have Diggins. I don't know if she will play this year.

Reaction Score
Dallas does have Diggins. I don't know if she will play this year.

With most WNBA teams having a big 2-3 players who will bring it every night it could be challenging for Dallas even with a healthy Diggins Smith, maybe they can get a high draft pick this year and land Cox, who would probably be what they really need going forward.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think if Angel is healthy and back to something like she was , ATL will be very dangerous in the playoffs. That squad has great chemistry, lots of athleticism and the pieces needed to win it all.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Chicago is a team that I think could be really good. I also expect Washington to be one of the best teams.

Reaction Score
This year feels like a total crapshoot to me since there are so many top players missing. I'll take a stab though:

1. Washington-on paper they look quite solid with EDD, Messemann, Atkins and Toliver. Coming off a WNBA Finals run.

2. Los Angeles-could be a bit of a traffic jam with the Ogwumikes and Parker upfront (not to mention Brown/Lavender), but they still have Gray/Beard in the backcourt. Chemistry seemed off last season, will they improve? The talent is there.

3. Las Vegas-another team that looks great on paper even if the Cambage deal falls through. A'ja could be an MVP candidate, McBride is a top notch SG, Plum probably the best young PG, and Young the #1 pick. Can they all work together?

4. Atlanta-good lineup even without Angel. Extremely athletic but on paper they aren't the 4th best team. I thought the team was better than the sum of its parts last year. Question is, will they have the same chemistry this season?

5. Seattle-losing Stewart hurts big time but there is still good talent on the roster with Loyd, Bird and Howard up front. Very good coaching and Seattle was far and away the top team in the league last year. Could be in the title hunt if Loyd becomes more consistent.

6. Connecticut-no Chiney but I think they're better off without her to be honest. JJ played better without her in the lineup and the same core is back from their overachieving 2017 squad.

7. Phoenix-even without DT to start the year they still have BG and Bonner. January and Carson are solid glue players too.

8. Minnesota-no Maya or Whalen but they still have Big Syl. Minnesota looks like a middle of the pack team to me.

9. Chicago-Deshields taking the next step and elevating her game could bring Chicago back into the playoffs. Vandersloot is a great PG but this team doesn't play any defense. Samuelson is good and will fit in well with the run and gun style of play but I think unless they learn to defend they'll be a bottle tier squad.

10. New York-they were horrendous last year and I'm not sure they'll be any better this season. Nurse or Durr becoming a reliable 2nd scorer will be huge to take the load off Tina but I'm not sure it happens this year.

11. Indiana-they need K. Mitchell to have improved big time and for Big T to make an impact from the get go. Should still be a bottom feeder but will have a formidable roster next season if they can land Sabrina and bring back a healthy Vic Vivians.

12. Dallas-they are lacking star power big time if they don't get a decent trade for Liz and she sits out.
Seattle will be lucky to finish in the playoffs, and not in the lottery. l hope to be wrong, but Stewie makes everyone else seem to be better then they are. She covers others weaknesses.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seattle will be lucky to finish in the playoffs, and not in the lottery. l hope to be wrong, but Stewie makes everyone else seem to be better then they are. She covers others weaknesses.

In recent years several teams w/ sub .500 records have made the playoffs, including Seattle the 2 previous seasons to winning the Championship. It's not that hard to get that #8 slot.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After getting Liz Cambage, Aces’ only goal should be WNBA title -

Las Vegas on Thursday completed a trade for All-Star center Cambage from the Dallas Wings that could alter the entire complexion of the WNBA’s elite and make the job of media relations director John Maxwell — Giggy to those who know him — a whole lot busier. The Aces are now favored to win a championship. It should be the only goal this season.

[Article]

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces the favorites to win the Championship now? Huh. Most of those players haven't even been to the playoffs yet. That seems like a bit too much of a jump to me, even if they have the talent. Of course the landscape has altered from the previous several years. Seattle won't be able to defend their title w/out Stewie, Minnesota's window slammed shut, LA fell well off last year and remains to be seen how they bounce back w/ some significant front court additions, Phoenix often underachieves and Taurasi is out indefinitely. Probably Washington assuming EDD is healthy and having Meesseman back is the strongest other contender.

Reaction Score
It remains to be seen if 2 people who like to play within 15 Feet of the basket can win a championship.

Reaction Score
It remains to be seen if 2 people who like to play within 15 Feet of the basket can win a championship.
Cambage and A'ja can both step out. They both dominate in the paint obviously, but they both are capable of hitting a mid range shot if the other is helped off of. They can be an extremely dangerous high low

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
For Seattle it's time for Mercedes Russell to step up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For fanatics, WNBA 2019 Preview Show on NBA-TV. 8:00-8:30 Swin Cash co-hosting. Repeating 10:30-11:00 PM

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The Sparks are in a better place. Than the mess that's the Lakers

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

If you look at shot charts for the two players you'll see that Liz shoots best from the middle of the lane 12 feet in. A'ja of course is strongest on the left side also 10-12 feet in. It'll be interesting to watch how they co-exist throughout the season as teams figure out how to defend them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom