WNBA Preseason Observations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Preseason Observations

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox.

Wasn't Lauren Cox overseas still. Great for Liv but that seems pretty cold.

Washington Waived Megan Gustafson

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Wasn't Lauren Cox overseas still. Great for Liv but that seems pretty cold.

Washington Waived Megan Gustafson
Cox season ended Thursday when her team lost 67-54 to Girona, the #3 seed.
Watching her play, in Spain, she seemed to lack the extra drive needed to stay at the top level.
Spain doesnt have many players her size, and she should have dominated much more, IMO

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cox season ended Thursday when her team lost 67-54 to Girona, the #3 seed.
Watching her play, in Spain, she seemed to lack the extra drive needed to stay at the top level.
Spain doesnt have many players her size, and she should have dominated much more, IMO
Hmm. Surprising but I suppose that explains the Drafting of Liv. Sometimes the culture difference messes you up. Were other Americans on her team?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Hmm. Surprising but I suppose that explains the Drafting of Liv. Sometimes the culture difference messes you up. Were other Americans on her team?
Yes
Alex Harden from Wichita State and Joy Adam's from Iona.

Reaction Score
I know it is only preseason and the games mean something but not a lot. With that being said, Indiana might be a nice squad this season. With some decent additions of Destanni Henderson, NaLyssa Smith, Lexie Hull, Queen Egbo, and Emily Engstler. They might be a problem for teams. Lexie had a tough game today. But there is always another day for a bounce back game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know it is only preseason and the games mean something but not a lot. With that being said, Indiana might be a nice squad this season. With some decent additions of Destanni Henderson, NaLyssa Smith, Lexie Hull, Queen Egbo, and Emily Engstler. They might be a problem for teams. Lexie had a tough game today. But there is always another day for a bounce back game.
FWIW, they came back from a 11 pt deficit on Chicago late in 3Q to win 79-75.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Don't know much about Jaime Nared (except she thought Geno Auriemma was dope) but when Jazmine Jones was on the liberty, I thought she was insanely athletic and went to the bucket hard and was pretty tough on the defensive end. On the other hand, she was often out of control and not a great shooter. Lots of talent in Indianna

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lynx outscore Aces 30-14 in 4th Q to make up a 13 pt deficit. Crystal did get a bit on track in the 4th Q when she was 3-5.

Reaction Score

I like the direction. Seems like a lot of tough minded freakishly athletic defenders to build a gritty culture with. I am intrigued.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Argh - posted this in wrong thread. LV traded up to #8 to pick Hollingshed

Reaction Score
This probably bodes the end of Coz's WNBA chances. Once you start getting waived by more than one team the rep of a borderline player gets established and in the WNBA rep means a great deal since the preseason is so short. Once you get that image the only way back on a WNBA teams radar is an amazing over seas season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This probably bodes the end of Coz's WNBA chances. Once you start getting waived by more than one team the rep of a borderline player gets established and in the WNBA rep means a great deal since the preseason is so short. Once you get that image the only way back on a WNBA teams radar is an amazing over seas season.
Coz?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Looking at the WNBA transaction news, it strikes me that It's tough for a traditional back-to-the-basket center who isn't fleet of foot to make it into the league. With reduced wiggle room on rosters, GM's and coaches want players who offer mobility. Megan Gustafson, Elissa Cunane, Lauren Cox, Kalani Brown, Nancy Mulkey. Pfft. And Gustafson worked very, very hard to expand her game and become more versatile. Kylie Shook took a personal year, but she's another center whose days in the W appear numbered now that roster spots are at a premium.

This might (don't want to jinx them) bode well for O N-O, Dodson and Hillmon, three posts/forwards who can get up and down the floor. Of course, a lot has to do with what the circumstances are and the particular team you're on. However, mobility helps.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Looking at the WNBA transaction news, it strikes me that It's tough for a traditional back-to-the-basket center who isn't fleet of foot to make it into the league. With reduced wiggle room on rosters, GM's and coaches want players who offer mobility. Megan Gustafson, Elissa Cunane, Lauren Cox, Kalani Brown, Nancy Mulkey. Pfft. And Gustafson worked very, very hard to expand her game and become more versatile. Kylie Shook took a personal year, but she's another center whose days in the W appear numbered now that roster spots are at a premium.

This might (don't want to jinx them) bode well for O N-O, Dodson and Hillmon, three posts/forwards who can get up and down the floor. Of course, a lot has to do with what the circumstances are and the particular team you're on. However, mobility helps.
This has been true for a while - Courtney Paris for example, dominant in college, but struggled. The competition gets so much more concentrated where your size is no longer that special. Need to be able to pass, need at least a consistent 15 footer, and need to be able to move and really contribute on defense. Guards and wings/small forwards have always needed to develop those skills, power forwards and centers could live in the paint in college.

Reaction Score
This has been true for a while - Courtney Paris for example, dominant in college, but struggled. The competition gets so much more concentrated where your size is no longer that special. Need to be able to pass, need at least a consistent 15 footer, and need to be able to move and really contribute on defense. Guards and wings/small forwards have always needed to develop those skills, power forwards and centers could live in the paint in college.
You don't think Cunane fits the bill? She has more offensive versatility already than a lot of WNBA post players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom