WNBA Preseason Games 05/03 | The Boneyard

WNBA Preseason Games 05/03

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck out to a quick start again 2 of 3 for 4 pts. in 7 minutes.
Kelly Faris 2 minutes. Nothing on the score line

Danielle Adams 3 for 3 from 3pt distance. Seems she has found a home?

Karlie not having an impact in 7 minutes for Sparks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Danielle Adams almost single handedly carrying the Sun. 5 for 5 from 3pt distance and 1 for 1 from 2 pt.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Is the game televised? If so, what channel?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Got back a little bit ago from the game... I need to process what Adams has been doing these last 2 games and what it means to the team if she sticks... gonna sleep on it. :confused:

For anyone who hasn't seen her play, Jess January is nails. One tough little guard. she was not intimidated by Sims AT ALL.

From the "WNBA refs suck" greatest hits, Saicha Grant-Allen played the last 4:18 of the game with 6 fouls. There it was up on the scoreboard for all to see and she plays on... never saw that in a game before. I checked the box score also... 6th foul at 4:18. Preseason for everyone, I guess.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Danielle Adams was great. I'm really loving this new Sun team. Curious to see if Faris is given a UConn / Sun spot because in all fairness I want the Sun to win and Kelly just doesn't want to shoot. Not sure how that fits into a last place WNBA team. Hope she decides to move into coaching personally. Loved her at UConn but...... this is the WNBA. Time for the Sun to start winning . I'd rather see if Hightower can regain some of her form back even if it's 80 % into the season.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that they need to find a way to keep Adams and Hamson on the roster. Both are showing immediate impact.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Alexis Prince with a nice game for the Mercury. I think she is going to be a solid contributor since she can shoot the 3 and perform on the defensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that they need to find a way to keep Adams and Hamson on the roster. Both are showing immediate impact.

Has Adams gotten into better shape? She's a great shooter but that extra weight has to slow her down ( or had...if she has lost the weight).

The Sun NEED to keep Hamson.

Reaction Score
Got back a little bit ago from the game... I need to process what Adams has been doing these last 2 games and what it means to the team if she sticks... gonna sleep on it. :confused:

For anyone who hasn't seen her play, Jess January is nails. One tough little guard. she was not intimidated by Sims AT ALL.

From the "WNBA refs suck" greatest hits, Saicha Grant-Allen played the last 4:18 of the game with 6 fouls. There it was up on the scoreboard for all to see and she plays on... never saw that in a game before. I checked the box score also... 6th foul at 4:18. Preseason for everyone, I guess.

Maybe the refs were impressed with her play... jk

You guys were lucky that they had all those games at Mohegan Sun.

Reaction Score
Has Adams gotten into better shape? She's a great shooter but that extra weight has to slow her down ( or had...if she has lost the weight).

I don't know about Adams weight situation, but her numbers overseas and in the two preseason games are far better than any other player's on the team. They don't keep records of pounds on the scoreboard. In the WNBA you need scorers. She is a scorer. She was five for five from three point range in the first half. She outscored everyone else in both games. She has always been an effective player on both ends of the court. I think the Sun need to eschew the aesthetics and do what they can to help her get to a healthy weight.

And yes, Hamson would be a great help, especially when they are playing Sylvia Fowles, Tina Charles, or Britney Griner, just to mention a few. Margo Dydek was often very effective way back when for the Sun. It is great to have someone you can put in there that makes the other team do things they don't usually do.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

I don't know about Adams weight situation, but her numbers overseas and in the two preseason games are far better than any other player's on the team. They don't keep records of pounds on the scoreboard. In the WNBA you need scorers. She is a scorer. She was five for five from three point range in the first half. She outscored everyone else in both games. She has always been an effective player on both ends of the court. I think the Sun need to eschew the aesthetics and do what they can to help her get to a healthy weight.

And yes, Hamson would be a great help, especially when they are playing Sylvia Fowles, Tina Charles, or Britney Griner, just to mention a few. Margo Dydek was often very effective way back when for the Sun. It is great to have someone you can put in there that makes the other team do things they don't usually do.

Apparently you folks haven't seen any of these players in live action. No, Adams has not gotten into better shape. She has been great shooting open 3s and sets good screens, but she doesn't move well on D. And Hamson, although she is blocking shots at a good rate (3.5 per game but 6 of the total 7 were in one game) she is shooting at 16.7%... not good for a 6'7" post player. Fowles, Charles and Griner are far superior players and would be able to adjust to the height and use their quickness and/or strength to take advantage of her. She had a good game against Chicago, not a factor against LA. I understand the positives that both Adams and Hamson bring to the table, but both also bring liabilities.

Here is the real question (glad it is Coach Curt's problem and not mine)... You want to keep Adams and Hamson, so what is your final 12 player roster?

Reaction Score
Apparently you folks haven't seen any of these players in live action. No, Adams has not gotten into better shape. She has been great shooting open 3s and sets good screens, but she doesn't move well on D. And Hamson, although she is blocking shots at a good rate (3.5 per game but 6 of the total 7 were in one game) she is shooting at 16.7%... not good for a 6'7" post player. Fowles, Charles and Griner are far superior players and would be able to adjust to the height and use their quickness and/or strength to take advantage of her. She had a good game against Chicago, not a factor against LA. I understand the positives that both Adams and Hamson bring to the table, but both also bring liabilities.

Here is the real question (glad it is Coach Curt's problem and not mine)... You want to keep Adams and Hamson, so what is your final 12 player roster?

True, haven't seen them at all this year. Only made it to one game last year. Living in Florida makes it difficult.

So, to Adams. Unless they have decided they are not planning on winning this year (which might not be a bad idea given next year's draft) they need points scored. Virtually nobody gets five threes in a row. She already has. She put up the best numbers of anyone overseas. And she was effective when she played for San Antonio. She was also the top scorer in both preseason games. And she had a good +/-. They keep stats because the eyes can be biased by the mind.

Obviously, Hamson is already gone, so the task at arriving at 12 is easier. But 6 blocks in the first game. She was probably exhausted the next day. Nevertheless, height is extremely important in basketball. (I think that goes without saying.) She also had a good+/- . After Curt's positive comments, I am a bit surprised.

Final 12: If Hightower shows any potential of being what she was, she is one of the twelve. I have no way of knowing whether she can really come back. It sounds like Curt is very skeptical. But if Hightower just isn't happening, then I think you keep Faris, but maybe January. I don't have enough to go on. Regardless, I think you really want to know what forward or forwards I would cut. You keep the Jones sisters. A. Thomas. Tuck and Kizer. For guards you keep these. Banham. Bentley. Williams. Stricklen. J. Thomas.

That would mean that Gray would be the one off your roster. I know she was traded for and so it's unlikely that she get cut, but I really think you need the points that Adams gives you.

Whatever happens, the 12 player roster, while better than the 11 they had, stinks. No room to develop potential. And the league needs at least one more team. Too many good players with nowhere to play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom