WNBA Predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Predictions

Reaction Score
So when does Cox take over the 4 spot for Indiana. You don't draft top 3 to ride the bench. Surely the Fever won't make the same mistake as last year where they didn't play McCowan much till the last 1/3 of the season.
@garddog Once the coach trusts Cox to compete with other seasoned WNBA power forwards on a consistent basis. Dupree is still very good, even in the twilight of her career, so benching her to begin the season would be questionable in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I think the Liberty will go Ionescu, Durr, Nurse, Zahui B, Stokes ..they also have Layshia Clarendon the oldest player on the team who will probably get minutes
I like this lineup.

Reaction Score
Cox may come off the bench originally for the Fever and see if she gets the hang of it. She is likely viewed as the replacement for Dupree.

I hope Vivians makes a full comeback. She played pretty well after the early games of her rookie year. She probably won't be a star in the league but like another former MSU player named Tan White she has the tools to hang around for a long time if healthy.
@MSSportsGuy Yep Cox is clearly the heir apparent to Dupree & if Dupree doesn’t retire this season... I’m thinking Cox will start next season for sure, maybe mid-way this season.

I’m rooting for Vivians too. She was so entertaining to watch at MSST. Her 3-pt shot, size at the wing & defense especially will keep her in this league sure.

Reaction Score
Dallas will be an interesting team to watch. I'd like to see them experiment with Sabally playing PF over Thornton. Last year Thornton shot 34% and 27% from 3, which is highly inefficient for a PF. As a Samuelson fan, I'd like to see them go with her on the wing instead. I think she could be the perfect role player in the W.

PG- Jefferson - top 5 pg when healthy
SG- Ogunbowale- future star in the league. When she ultimately becomes more efficient, she will be one of the best players for many years.
W- Samuelson - Would benefit from dynamic guards who could help get her open looks. In return, opens the floor for them to create.
PF- Sabally- Tall and strong and has the ability to really stretch the floor. Is a player capable of matching up with players like EDD, Meeseman, Stewart.
C- Harrison/Ndour - probably the weakest position. Can't match up with likes of Griner, Cambage, and Fowles.

Bench - Thornton, Harrison/Ndour, & Gray.
Now that’s a good starting 4, imagine the matchup nightmares this will create for opposing teams with Samuelson & Sabally killing it from 3-pt land! Now if Gustafson comes along like @Dillon77 said earlier, this would be a sneaky team.

Reaction Score
Depending on good health.

1. Mystics
2. Storm
3. Aces
4. Sparks
5. Sun
6. Mercury
7. Sky
8. Lynx
9. Wings
10. Fever
11. Dream
12. Liberty

`

Mystics, Aces, Mercury if healthy should be top three.

At the bottom, I think the Fever may jump into the 6 to 8 range. They had a lot of close losses last year and have everyone healthy this year, plus Stanley should be a big upgrade.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sold on the top 4 if they are all healthy and available, which is likely wishful thinking but they seem to be the best teams.

The Sun made their run off of great chemistry and having played a lot of games together. Two starters are gone and while Bonner is very talented but it all depends on how the team meshes together. If Taurasi is healthy and can make a go of it then Phoenix will hang in there but they have a few deficiencies to address.

Even with Ionescu the Liberty are probably still out of the top 8. Indiana will be one to watch to see if some new coaching and pieces take them to the playoff level. I'm not sure Dallas, even with all of their draft choices added enough to climb in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
after the top 3 or 4, it could be most any team rising up. So look up Ee! Maybe the Liberty gel quickly and surprise everyone.

Reaction Score
Depending on good health.

1. Mystics
2. Storm
3. Aces
4. Sparks
5. Sun
6. Mercury
7. Sky
8. Lynx
9. Wings
10. Fever
11. Dream
12. Liberty

`
I agree with this but I feel like 1-5 can all be shuffled depending on how the season plays out.
Also I wouldn’t surprised to see the Fever sneak in the playoffs ahead of Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Mystics, Aces, Mercury if healthy should be top three.

At the bottom, I think the Fever may jump into the 6 to 8 range. They had a lot of close losses last year and have everyone healthy this year, plus Stanley should be a big upgrade.
Don’t forget about the Storm.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don’t forget about the Storm.

And the Sparks.

Merc have been underachieving for years. They've shuffled the lineup around somewhat, but I'm not sure why they would be expected to be top 3 in the league. I can absolutely see them not even being in the top 3 in the Western Conference.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts. Lavender the best Chicago can do at the 4? She can be a decent sub but really not good enough to be a starter I don't think. I'd probably go with either Stevens or Parker. Plus they have rookie Hebard? That's a bit crowded, somebody isn't going to be playing much in that frontcourt rotation.

I'm really not a fan of Ruffin-Pratt for LA, but you have her not even in the rotation? She's been a starter there for several years. I honestly don't see them starting both Ogwumikes and Parker, even though it puts the most talent on the floor. Bring Chiney off the bench, have at least 2 of them in the game most of the time. The starter at the 3 might be kinda by default. TRP brings more defense and Augustus even in her twilight brings more offense. Also Wiese will probably be in the guard rotation too. I forgot about Sykes joining them, that's a pretty crowded rotation as well.

I think Parker is a better player than Lavender, but since she and Dolson split the center minutes for Chicago, it makes sense to me that Parker starts on the bench.

I don't expect Hebard to play much this year. That was a pick for next year. Parker and Lavender are both on the last year of their contracts and I don't think Chicago can afford to bring back both. That's where a player who already knows the system and is on a cheap contract will come in handy.

Reaction Score
With all the opt-outs & recent signings, I thought it would be cool to re-visit the starting lineup predictions- specifically for the Sun, Dream, Mystics & Sparks.
Originally I had
Atlanta Dream

PG- Renee Montgomery
SG- Courtney Williams
SF- Tiffany Hayes
PF- Glory Johnson
C- Elizabeth Williams
Now I’m thinking Chennedy C., Williams, Stricklen, Johnson & Williams.

Originally I had
Connecticut Sun

PG- Jasmine Thomas
SG- Briann January
SF- DeWanna Bonner
PF- Alyssa Thomas
C- Jonquel Jones
Now i’m thinking Brionna Jones finally gets a shot to show what she has or Plaisance. Rest of the lineup stays the same.

Originally I predicted
PG- Chelsea Gray
SG- Kristi Toliver
SF- Candace Parker
PF- Nneka Ogwumike
C- Chiney Ogwumike
Now I’m sure Augustus slides in at SF, Gray at PG, Sykes or Williams at SG, Nneka at PF & Parker at C.

& last originally I predicted
Washington Mystics

PG- Natasha Cloud
SG- Ariel Atkins
SF- Elena Della Donne
PF- Emma Meesseman
C- Tina Charles
Now I’m sure Leilani Mitchell slides in at PG & rest of the lineup stays the same.

What do you guys think? & does anyone have a good feel about the NY Liberty? Still clueless how that lineup will pan out.

Reaction Score
With all the opt-outs & recent signings, I thought it would be cool to re-visit the starting lineup predictions- specifically for the Sun, Dream, Mystics & Sparks.
Originally I had

Now I’m thinking Chennedy C., Williams, Stricklen, Johnson & Williams.

Originally I had

Now i’m thinking Brionna Jones finally gets a shot to show what she has or Plaisance. Rest of the lineup stays the same.

Originally I predicted

Now I’m sure Augustus slides in at SF, Gray at PG, Sykes or Williams at SG, Nneka at PF & Parker at C.

& last originally I predicted

Now I’m sure Leilani Mitchell slides in at PG & rest of the lineup stays the same.

What do you guys think? & does anyone have a good feel about the NY Liberty? Still clueless how that lineup will pan out.
Agree with most, maybe Sykes instead of Augustus in LA. It is interesting how many of the contenders were effected. I expected some vets to sit out if they were looking at a rebuilding non contender season, but the impact was as much or more on teams in the hunt. A team like Seattle looks to gain ground with two future hall of famers rejoining the team and no major players sitting out. Vegas benefits too but not as much because of the Plum injury.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mystics fill out their roster

Reaction Score

Not sure how much playing time either will get. Still think they could’ve picked Tea Cooper up before LA got her if they wanted a guard. But maybe Thibault wanted a player who knows his system already since Peddy filled in some last year.

Reaction Score
Agree with most, maybe Sykes instead of Augustus in LA. It is interesting how many of the contenders were effected. I expected some vets to sit out if they were looking at a rebuilding non contender season, but the impact was as much or more on teams in the hunt. A team like Seattle looks to gain ground with two future hall of famers rejoining the team and no major players sitting out. Vegas benefits too but not as much because of the Plum injury.
Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sykes start either. Now with all the opt-outs, I think Seattle is the clear front runner. Vegas will still be very good without Plum but with her, I think they could’ve challenged the Storm & Mystics more.

Reaction Score

@eebmg Can you tell me how to insert the URL links with the picture in them on here? Everytime I add a URL it only allows me insert the link only without the picture. Thanks. Still fairly new on here.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
@eebmg Can you tell me how to insert the URL links with the picture in them on here? Everytime I add a URL it only allows me insert the link only without the picture. Thanks. Still fairly new on here.

@LowkeyX Sorry. I do nothing special. Just paste the copied URL directly into the comment field. Maybe it is my browser (chrome) or some settings in my browser???

Reaction Score
Personally, they should cancel the while season. With players sitting out at will it causes an unfair advantage to teams. Because of players not playing teams can loose more games than normal. So these teams will ultimately get a better draft pick. Then the following year these players return that are not playing. So you get better draft picks then possible all-stars returning. Total unfair advantage.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Personally, they should cancel the while season. With players sitting out at will it causes an unfair advantage to teams. Because of players not playing teams can loose more games than normal. So these teams will ultimately get a better draft pick. Then the following year these players return that are not playing. So you get better draft picks then possible all-stars returning. Total unfair advantage.
If there is WCBB season, the winner will be the team that is least impacted by Covid--fewer key players out or out at less important stretches--or lies about their players testing positive. Every roster is "partial" over the next year or so.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

The same argument could be made for teams who have their star injured or out for a year. DT sat out pretty much all of 2012 IIRC and Phoenix was rewarded with the #1 pick and Brittney Griner. Or last year with so many stars out due to injury or other obligations.

Draft lottery also now take 2 year records into account, so this helps prevent teams from tanking for high draft picks.

Also, have you looked at next year's mock draft? The class looks terrible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@LowkeyX Sorry. I do nothing special. Just paste the copied URL directly into the comment field. Maybe it is my browser (chrome) or some settings in my browser???
@eebmg Well thanks anyways, maybe it’s b/c I’m doing it from my phone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom