WNBA, POY and Katie Lou | The Boneyard

WNBA, POY and Katie Lou

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Full disclosure-I am a huge KLS fan, have been since her recruitment and am probably over sensitive to any criticism directed her way and perceive far too many slights from all aspects. Which leads me to this- there have been many updates to the draft order based on needs of the 12 teams with KLS targeted 6-9 which seems ludicrous to me. Ok, you want a post player and you think Kalani Brown or Teaira McCowan is the answer, so be it. But to select Asia Durr over KLS? That to me, is making me channel my inner Muffet McGraw (not a good thing). Not only is KLS a better shooter, she's 6'3" as good if not better defender and can do more things with the basketball. That's not to say Asia is bad (she was #2 in HG and won the ACC POY last year and is legitimate top pick), just not as good as KLS. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
They don’t really play the same position. KLS would be more of a SF to me. I rate Durr as the best guard; KLS as the best SF. Both will have their struggles defensively, but Durr being more athletic would probably adjust to next level better.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Durr has a very clean fit at the next level as a 2-guard.

I think Lou has to be a 3 at the next level. I wonder how effectively she'll be able to guard WNBA 3s. Long players like her are sometimes deceptively good defenders, but it's a question mark for me.

Anyhow, the AP mock draft that purported to poll WNBA coaches and GMs had Lou at 5 (Durr at 2). And Howard Megdal's latest mock had Lou at 1 (Durr at 4). Even Ben Dull's laughable mock draft had Lou at 2 (behind Ionescu at 1).

So I'm not sure what mocks or big boards you are seeing that have Lou in the 6-9 range.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Disagree. KLS is not only better on all guard attributes but she has the size to be able to switch with the post defenders. There are drafts out there who think KLS is lottery so I wouldn't focus on one or 2. KLS has shown this year that her ankle surgery has in fact improved all her mobility, from leaping ability to beating players off the dribble and down the court, this was the original worry of the GMs that I had talked to, she has put that to rest. He best attribute however, will be her ability to go into camp and pick up any offensive and defensive scheme, there is not another player up there who I can honestly say will be able to do that and that is vital in the WNBA due to the limited time between games.

Reaction Score
KLS will be in a league with guards and wings with her skillset (if not better) and much quicker. I think Asia will be a better player in the league than KLS. Who would you pick in a clutch situation? Asia or KLS?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm on board with KLS being picked over Durr, but there is no denying that Asia fits in perfectly as a 2 next level. She's better at creating her own shot than KLS and is quicker. Aside from that, I like KLS over Durr in most areas. I think she has a better shot, has good size as a 3 even though she could become a liability defending versatile tall 3s (like a Dewanna Bonner), and her overall basketball IQ and skillset is more developed than Durr's.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe you can make a strong case for drafting either Lou or Durr. My question regarding WNBA draft projections involves Brown & McCowan. Yes, both are 6’7” dominant college post players. But neither offers the athletic versatility of Stewie, EDD, Fowler, Charles, Wilson or other posts in the W. Frankly, I see Brown & McCowan as capable reserves in the W, at best, and would be very cautious about using a top pick on either one if I were a GM.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Over on the WNBA Free Agent Thread, I was pondering various ramifications of how that might affect the draft (if at all).
Many people, including me, think the Las Vegas Aces could use either an inside presence to free up/get along with A'ja Wilson and a reliable outside threat to help with spacing. Since they have Kmac at off guard and a bunch of point guards, this points to KLS (and Howard Megdal wrote as such).

Trader Bill (Laimbeer) was at the Baylor game and wouldn't be surprised if he was taking in KLS and Kalani Brown per those two needs. He does love his centers, but is it worth pulling the trigger on Brown or McCowan?

I'll bet bet he can get his cake and eat it too by putting his trader hat back on. See who is desperate for one of the space eaters and/or thin out your excellent point guards (Plum or MoJeff) for another pick. Get your other post that way.

I don't see this as a KLS vs. Durr situation...like Old Dude, I think they bring different solutions for various team needs.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Durr has a very clean fit at the next level as a 2-guard.

I think Lou has to be a 3 at the next level. I wonder how effectively she'll be able to guard WNBA 3s. Long players like her are sometimes deceptively good defenders, but it's a question mark for me.

Anyhow, the AP mock draft that purported to poll WNBA coaches and GMs had Lou at 5 (Durr at 2). And Howard Megdal's latest mock had Lou at 1 (Durr at 4). Even Ben Dull's laughable mock draft had Lou at 2 (behind Ionescu at 1).

So I'm not sure what mocks or big boards you are seeing that have Lou in the 6-9 range.

Thanks for bringing up the latest Megdal mock draft, in which he has Jess Shepard heading to Minnesota. Considering it was Coach Reeve that suggested Jess get into fighting shape, the Lynx drafting her would bring the process full circle.

Can see Bri Turner ending up on a team that likes to run, such as Seattle.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Full disclosure-I am a huge KLS fan, have been since her recruitment and am probably over sensitive to any criticism directed her way and perceive far too many slights from all aspects. Which leads me to this- there have been many updates to the draft order based on needs of the 12 teams with KLS targeted 6-9 which seems ludicrous to me. Ok, you want a post player and you think Kalani Brown or Teaira McCowan is the answer, so be it. But to select Asia Durr over KLS? That to me, is making me channel my inner Muffet McGraw (not a good thing). Not only is KLS a better shooter, she's 6'3" as good if not better defender and can do more things with the basketball. That's not to say Asia is bad (she was #2 in HG and won the ACC POY last year and is legitimate top pick), just not as good as KLS. What am I missing?
Well if you are talking guards and the WNBA I think you need to start with Arike not Durr. Arike is a walking WNBA 2 guard prototype because she can create her own shot. KLS is going to need more help in the WNBA like a player who commands a double and can kick out.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well if you are talking guards and the WNBA I think you need to start with Arike not Durr. Arike is a walking WNBA 2 guard prototype because she can create her own shot. KLS is going to need more help in the WNBA like a player commands a double and can kick out.

Create and get to the foul line. A lot.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Disagree. KLS is not only better on all guard attributes but she has the size to be able to switch with the post defenders. There are drafts out there who think KLS is lottery so I wouldn't focus on one or 2. KLS has shown this year that her ankle surgery has in fact improved all her mobility, from leaping ability to beating players off the dribble and down the court, this was the original worry of the GMs that I had talked to, she has put that to rest. He best attribute however, will be her ability to go into camp and pick up any offensive and defensive scheme, there is not another player up there who I can honestly say will be able to do that and that is vital in the WNBA due to the limited time between games.
Got think Sabrina would do just as good a job picking up an offense as KLS can.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
KLS at the WNBA level seems to me like she can be a similar player to Katie Douglas, who had a long and proud career at the pro level. Despite not being particularly quick or fast, KT was an exceptional defender at that level. She accomplished that by positioning and studying the scout on each opponent.

Lou has a similar body and skillset, and a little more size. She will be equally professional and motivated, and I think she will have similar success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom